Does Anyone Have Crackling in Their Ear When They Swallow? If So, How to Treat?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ChrisfromCanada, Feb 16, 2017.

1. ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

ChrisfromCanada Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      My left ear crackles every time I swallow. This is my ear that has tinnitus which came from an ear infection/ruptured ear drum about 1.5 months ago. If anyone has had this how do you treat it?

2. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Crackling in ears when swallowing is perfectly normal.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

ChrisfromCanada Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I have never heard it before 2 weeks ago and its pretty loud. If its normal that's great but its pretty damn annoying

4. MichaelOS

MichaelOS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I've been getting a crackling when yawning and swallowing in both ears since onset of tinnitus. Wondering if anyone has similar experience, or if it's anything to be concerned about.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      I assume you too have abnormaly loud and noticable crackling. Mine started after a flight almost 10 years ago. My ear drum ruptured during this flight. I had it checked out and it healed perfectly. I've had the crackling ever since, but I'm also used to it.

It goes away sometimes in warm or humid environments. Definitely more noticable when it's cold. Driking hot beverages seem to make it go away temporarily. Most of the time I don't think about it, but it bothered me a lot in the beginning. I think it's ETD related in my case though.

6. MichaelOS

MichaelOS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Elinor. Thanks for the reply. Have you had any other problems with it, specifically flying?

7. Steffi

Steffi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (initially)
      @MichaelOS
      I have T that was worsened by a bad cold / virus at Christmas. Have been suffering fullness in my ears connected to ETD since New Year. My left ear crackles and pops. The reason I'm telling you is you mentioned flying and I've just flown back from Warsaw today and my ears were fine. I used the earplanes ear plugs to deal with the pressure. I chewed gum, sucked sweets and sipped water. No adverse effects.