Does Anyone Here Know of a Good Sound Meter Device for Android Smartphones?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, May 19, 2016.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      My friend sometimes invites me to his church but they play loud rock music so I just wait outside until it is over because I'm afraid it will hurt my ears. I just got a smartphone and I would like to measure the dB in the church but I need something that is accurate. I do not mind paying for an app. I apologize but what I meant in the question was "sound meter app" not "sound meter device". Thanks.

2. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      I use DecibelMeter and My db Meter. I am always comparing the 2 and they seem consistent.

3. ryant

ryant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have one on my iPhone called Decibel 10th. Not sure if it is offered on Andriod.

4. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      JasonP ..I know exactly what you're talking about. If you have tinnitus, i'd avoid that environment.

I'm learning that tinnitus is kinda like ' Scars ' of your ear nerve..

YOu'll regret it later, if you expose yourself to that NOT KIDDING

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Thanks Mike. so are you saying once you have tinnitus, it weakens your ears so that less sound can cause more tinnitus?

6. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi everyone, if someone has a good one to advise on iPhone that will be great too :)

@ryant Is Decibel 10th free?

7. ryant

ryant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes it is free, found it in the appstore on iPhone

8. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I will try this, thanks a lot

• Like Like x 1
    9. Mike TerMaaten

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi JasonP
      when you say 'it' it = loud church rock band ..right ?

If your tinnitus is from Accoustical Trauma, then the loud church rock band is, without a doubt, not good.

I don't follow the.. less sound = more tinnitus ( i can't think of a single plausable situation where that could be true ) ( unless you're talking about the concept of Masking/ Covering your tinnitus )

10. Mike TerMaaten

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      JasonP
      look at 2 other posters in this thread

Julien and ryant

they both got their's from LOUD ASS SPEAKERS

..so be freakin' careful man ..avoid that sh(*t ( Loud ProAudio Equipment

• Like Like x 1
    11. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

I had the "Music safe" from Alpine on my Iphone, it's a free app. A professional pointed me to "Soundmeter" by Faberacoustical. According to him it's almost as good as a professional Db. Metter. It costs about $20. I bet they have android versions.

I'm doing some renovations in my home and decided to take a look at sound levels, I use these to get a feeling for when to use earplugs - I got 103Db at the beginning of Captain America - but I try not to avoid doing anything because of the sound level. If you're worried about going to the church with your friends, a filtered earplug would be a good idea ;)

12. ryant

ryant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I got a pair of these on Amazon recently: http://www.eargasmearplugs.com

They come with a keychain case so I carry them around and use them when I need them. They work pretty well to minimize noise in public places. There have been several times at restaurants or noisy places where I was glad I had them. I also have custom made earplugs but I don't carry them around like I do these.

13. Dave AUS
      Depressed

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      You can add me to that list too sadly. if only I knew!!! Musicians don't give a flying hoot about your hearing health. Sad but brutal truth!!

@JasonP I use "sound meter" on android but interested to see other's suggestions

14. Mike TerMaaten

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HI Dave
      yea, i do not envy anyone who works or spends time in that whole band / musician / rock/punk or whatever else scene.
      They say the Musicians Forums on the Internet have quite a few threads on those who live with Tinnitus.

Ozzy Osborne has bad tinnitus evidently. He says ' i guess i should have worn ear plugs '

dave, about how old are you ?

I noticed at age 35 my body started to be a bit different, at being able to handle stuff.

I honestly wonder how any Human, over age 35 or so, would honestly want / choose to spend time around that scene / ProAudio equipment and so on

I think of those into Car Audio also. rockford fosgate, pioneer alpine

The first hearing damage in my life ( as i later figured out ) was from my 12" subs ( subwoofers ) in my truck.

15. Dave AUS
      Depressed

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      @Mike TerMaaten I am 41.
      Been to 9 concert gigs as well as clubbing when I young. The last gig and the one to do the acute damage was certainly the loudest. I believe in everything in moderation but cruelly learnt it doesn't apply to my hearing. From my teenage years to when I turned 40 I noticed no difference in the quality of my hearing.

The people who work in the industry are WAY better off as they know safe listening procedures, measuring devices and proper protection devices. We are the dumb bunnies who front up to a gig on the rare occasion to listen to a band and a few are given the ultimate surprise by sustaining permanent hearing damage without warnings.

I have thought about joining some of the musician forums to see how they take sound level safety but haven't done so as yet.