Does Anyone Here Work in the Medical Field?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Enrique, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      I just graduated college with a BS in Public Health. I had originally planned to go to medical school to become a doctor but I don't think the stress and time will be worth it now with T and hearing loss. I am now looking at going to nursing school then ultimately become a physician assistant nurse practitioner. I was looking to get some insight on the experience on working with patients (especially using the stethoscope on them) despite having T and hearing loss. Any advice? Suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated as I am looking for jobs and have not found any. I am really stressing out about my hearing loss and T limiting my job opportunities and work efficiency.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      There are plenty of medical doctors out there with tinnitus and hearing loss. Not a deal breaker. At least not in all fields. I'd say pursue your dreams if that is what your heart wants.

That said...

@Petloy does, and he still regularly visits the forum, so hopefully he will chime in.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/any-nurses-here.653/

I'm sure there must be others so hopefully you'll get some feedback.

EDIT:
      Found this thread too:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/anybody-working-in-the-medical-field.8042/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      @Markku

I only know of one doctor with severe hearing loss and T. He is quite old now and about to retire.

Thanks for the feedback!

4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi @Enrique,

Shortly after my tinnitus onset, I sought a second opinion from a well-known and respected inner ear surgeon and medical professor on Florida's west coast. He also travels regularly with a group similar to Doctors Without Borders, helping the poor in third world countries. This guy is amazing, an inspiration to many people, including me.

He also has severe tinnitus. He wears hearing aids/maskers in both ears.

Maybe having T will make you an even better candidate for medical school. You will understand things from the patient's perspective.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @Enrique Follow your dreams man.....Making a differance in people's lives has to be one of the most rewarding professions you can have I wish you all the best

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      Hi @LadyDi
      That would be ideal. Become a doctor and help the underserved. Very inspirational!

Hi @Carlos1
      I do wish to become a doctor but it becomes very difficult with this T and hearing loss. Stress defenitely increases my T and I have otosclerosis which means my hearing will gradually degrade over time. Sucks, but that's life.

7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
    8. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      I'm a student in osteopathy, and as we won't work in hospital i can't say anything, but if you have the capacities to be a doctor you shouldn't give up!

I do not say it's a bad choice to choose something else, it's a personnal decision.

But i'm sure you can success even with hearing loss. You said that your hearing aids don't help you so muvh, buf maybe you should change them or change their settings.

But there are doctors with hearing loss!

I even read about doctors with cochlear implants! That's quite incredible!

9. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      34 years in a hospital with clanging carts, banging drawers, the occaisional fire alarm, and lots of other sounds, especially from the cleaning crew. I have loud T but not hearing loss. I did work with quite a few people through the years who did have hearing loss. A few had it bad. I guess they were OK, they got the job done. Being a doctor though with hearing problems might be challenging.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      @Enrique Hi, I am a registered nurse, got T in 2012, after awhile I got used to it...I work in a hospital , yes there are loud sounds, occasional fire alarms, but I get through it. Using a steth, seems daunting at first but you just tell the client to refrain from talking then you'll be fine. After working for awhile I have develop a system, if there is a fire alarm I just put in my Etymotic plugs, I also have that knack of seeing things in advance...like if i pass a maintenance cart i would be ready to put my fingers in my ears, etc.

But don't worry, you'll be fine, I am. How bad is your hearing though? I have hearing loss as well but mine is in the higher frequency, not the conversation level. Regards to your future endeavour!

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      At the moment my hearing loss is moderate in my left ear and mild in my right ear. I have a mixed hearing loss from acoustic trauma and a conductive loss that will gradually get worse (otosclerosis). The conductive portion might be able to get fixed with surgery down the road but I still have doubts as to how successful I'll be with hearing loss. I'm sure it's more of a mental inhibition that I'm having rather than a physical inhibition at the moment. Thanks for the advice!