Does Anyone Take Trazadone for Sleep?

Discussion in 'Support' started by patty, Feb 20, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I have been taking Trazadone 50 m an hour before bedtime for sleep. I still awaken a couple times at night but quickly return to a sleep. What I also like about it is I get a deeper more restful sleep, and sleep about 6 to 7 hours. I am having some side effects and wonder do they diminish with time. I do feel a hungover feeling when I get up, but that diminishes after a couple hours. I can deal with that. I feel rested during the day, but in the early evening I start to feel nauseous and a little dizzy. I have been taken the med for 2 weeks. Does this diminish with time? I appreciate anyone's response. Also, I am taking .5 m Ambien.

Remeron was mentioned to my doctor, but he said Remeron will make you gain weight and Trazadone will make you sleep better. Are they any significant side effects with Remeron? I also cut the Trazadone 50 m in half, but I did not sleep much.

2. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October, 2012.
      i took 100mg of trazodone nightly for about 4 years, but this predated my tinnitus and hyperacusis. i don't remember any troubling side effects, but i did start on 25mg, slowly increasing my dose over a period of 6 months. when i tapered from trazodone the withdrawal was quite unpleasant, but it wasn't as bad as when i tapered from clonazepam.

sorry i can't be of more help.

3. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Maybe I'll try 3/4 of the 50 m, and see how that goes. I really like the sleep quality I get taking the 50 m, but I am not sure that nausea will pass the longer I am taking it. It's strange because I feel the nausea later in the evening. Weird. Thanks for your reply.

4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Patty... why are you taking Ambien AND trazodone? They both work on sleep. I personally had a very bad experience with Ambien, made me extremely dizzy and faint -- and that was only after a week. There is mounting evidence that it is a sleep drug with some serious side effects for many. Trazodone, originally used for depression and a drug that's been around for a long time, increasingly is being prescribed for sleep. I know several people that have had success with it. I tried it -- but it made me very hungover the next day, and did not give me good quality sleep. Then again, I tend not to do well with any of the anti-depressants.

I have had sleep problems that predated my tinnitus. Right now, I primarily am using Rozerem, which basically is prescription-grade melatonin. Not addictive and very few side effects. Its expensive (no generic) but it is working for me. I do couple it with .5 mg of alprazolam (Xanax), as I seem to have nighttime anxiety. So far, so good.

Sleep meds are tricky, though. What works for me very well may not work for you. A lot of folks here at TT have been happy with Remeron.

Hope this helps.

5. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Thanks for your response. I really don't have any side effects with the Ambien. I just wake up after 4 hours. Trazadone gives me restful, deeper sleep. The morning hangover leaves after 2-3 hours, and then I feel refreshed. However, I seem to be experiencing some nausea. I hope this will pass, because I really like the sleep. I might have to move on to Remeron though. I wonder if there are any bad side effects to Remeron. I will look into Rozerem. Thanks again.

6. fatz1126

fatz1126 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Hi all!

My psychiatrist prescribed me 150mg trazodone for sleep. Tried it last night, It didnt help me at all. Feels like my body is sleepy but my mind is not. I dont know if it has something to do with me getting used to 1 mg ativan for sleep for the past 3 weeks. So just for me to be able to sleep, since it was already 2am, i decided to take ativan 1mg too. That's when I felt really sleepy. But not after waking up. I feel groggy. This is the first time that I mixed medications like this.

7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi @fatz1126: As you will see above, I talked about my Trazadone experience previously with @patty. A lot of docs are trying it for sleep now. From what people have told me, you do need to give Trazadone a little while to work. With many anti-depressants, you can't tell much about how it will affect you after just 24 hours.

So was did your doctor tell you to take Ativan and Trazadone? Or did you just try that on your own, as you are trying to stop Ativan all together? Maybe first cutting your Ativan dose, rather than discontinuing it completely, is the answer. But that is a question for your docotr.

8. fatz1126

fatz1126 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Hi LadyDi!

I told my psychiatrist yesterday that I think I could handle my anxiety without taking any meds for it. I usually take 1 mg ativan to help me sleep at night. So he prescribed trazodone .25-.50 mg at night. I let it work for 45 mins but still, i couldnt sleep. Then I googled the safest dosage amount to take for insomnia and i read up to 200 mg, some even 400mg. So i took 150mg total. Nothing happened! And it was almost 2 am, so I decided to take my usual sleeping aid 1mg ativan + 25 mg diphenhydramine. Those 2 knocked me out.

9. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Sounds like you may have experienced what's called "rebound insomnia." Basically, if your brain is used to having certain chemicals (medications) to trip the sleep cycle, getting to sleep without those chemicals is very, very hard. So the Trazadone alone may not do it, at least not initially. Again, a discussion to have with your doctor.

10. fatz1126

fatz1126 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      I tried sending my psychiatrist a text message about the administration of trazodone. Should I increase it or not. Is it ok to take it with ativan? I just saw him yesterday, but he wouldnt answer my text message. He answered back saying just leave a message on his office phone and he'll try to call me when he has time. But what about me? What about tonight? What should I take? I woke up feeling groggy this morning and what i did was drink 10 glasses of water to help flush out what i took last night. I even did cardio for 30 minutes to help flush out the toxins. I hope this will help.

11. fatz1126

fatz1126 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      I think I'll try ambien. I hope it works for me.

12. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      @fatz1126
      Are you still suffering with T?

13. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl
      Beware trazodone only can cause the tinnitus worse avoid it.
      1 pill is enough to get tinnitus immediately.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Anyone taking Trazadone? I am, for two years now. I recently found out its very ototoxic. Not good for
      us folks. Can anyone recommend a good sleeping med that is not ototoxic! Im all ears, ha ha
      Serious though!

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    15. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ive been off Trazadone for four nights. Im now taking Rozerem.
      My hyperacusis is down 90%. I have a new Psych. she says Trazadone is very ototoxic.
      I knew before. Just didnt know what substitute I could use. The new Psych actually called my general doc
      and talked about my condition. WoW!
      If I could just get the T down a bit!

16. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I quite the trazadone four nights later my hyperacusis was down 90%
      I now take Rozerem.

17. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I'm slowly tapering Trazadone. Currently down to 50 was up to 75. It has really helped me sleep, but as I slowly taper I notice I am still getting the same sleep. Fingers crossed that I should be off it be by the end of the year. I taper 10% of the new dose every 3/4 weeks or so. Feeling good these days.

18. Gr8fulDude
      Balanced

Gr8fulDude Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Everyone responds differently to psychotropic drugs. Trazidone and Remeron are considered milder anti-depressants that are often prescribed for off-label purposes to treat insomnia because they are considered less addictive than benzos like Ativan or Z drugs like Ambien. What works for some may not for others and effective dosages may vary too. Remeron has a strange dosage characteristic in that a lower dose can sometimes induce sleep more. Tapering when discontinuing may help reduce rebound insomnia but an informed doctor should advise on this. Of course it is best if you can get relief from more natural approaches like meditation and deep breathing exercises and perhaps herbals like valerian and melatonin.