Does Crying Spike Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rafaa, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Rafaa

Rafaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows? I have Patulous ET and ETD + Other things
      My tinnitus spiked x100 when I cried twice this past week. I haven't cried in a long time and just discovered this.

I have patulous Eustachian tubes.

Maybe it's the mucus, maybe my tinnitus is related to emotions. I'm not sure.

Have you noticed your tinnitus spiking from crying?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I actually cried tonight (was watching TV with a friend and saw the funniest damn infomercial ever while flipping through the channels and had a really good laugh)... No spike. I don't believe that it was the crying that actually spiked your tinnitus, but most likely the emotional state you were in (a correlation rather than causation kinda deal). Just a thought...

3. Rowan Duncan

Rowan Duncan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      colleague's machine
      Yes mate I find it gets worse too when crying. The same goes for laughing especially, and talking for more than a minute. I don't think it is emotion that causes it (but yes it may seem even worse when you're sadder), but mostly a pressure building inside your head and face with anything you do from the neck up (except blinking!).

On the few occasions I laugh nowadays, on each breath out, it goes worse, worse, worse. When yawning I go mostly deaf, and the ringing is 100 times louder. When I burp, it feels like balloons are being squeezed inside my ears. You already know that all the tubes and muscles in your head are linked somehow, and movements, I think, squeeze the damaged parts of the ears.

There's no avoiding this unfortunately, but if it hits you, when laughing for example, and stops you from feeling good that second, you have to forget about it, remember what you were laughing about. The best thing is keep talking with friends for long amounts of time somewhere it isn't quiet.

I find the condition does get worse when laughing/crying/talking even more so with how you are sat down. Don't slouch with your chin near your chest. Loosen the neck and take deep breaths.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A natural emotional release can help but for some people the tinnitus can spike as I know it can for me causing low mood.
      I'm sure most of us have a down time but pushing and getting through it gives us strength each time as we find what helps us cope better...
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rafaa

Rafaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows? I have Patulous ET and ETD + Other things
      I took a paracetamol after the crying episode, and went for a neck massage the first time ive had one. the tinnitus quieted down to 10% as the headache faded to a single tone of T, normally I have two T tones. Maybe my sinusitis is a factor.

I don't get it from laughing crying , more so the sad crying from a couple of things that happened recently.

I get the same pressure when burping and louder when yawning...you sure you haven't checked for patulous eustachian tube? I think this is what I have, the pressure of the air,gas going up into the ear through the ET.

Its the exact same tone too, strange. Tinnitus would be 100x easier to deal with if we can find acceptance as to what it is thats causing it. It makes zero sense.

6. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      I also can not cry in last time and my T spikes when I want to.

7. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Real men don’t cry.