Does Exercise Make Tinnitus Worse for You?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dunhill, Dec 14, 2016.

?

Does exercise make tinnitus worse for you?

1. No

2. Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Dunhill

Dunhill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      late teens or maybe earlier
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no idea
      Hi all,
      I´ve had T since I can´t remeber. I want to ask you all if exercise make it worse for you? What I´ve noticed is that everytime I strain myself physically, or mentally for that matter, my T goes through the roof.

I have a history of mental and social problems concerning my childhood. And what I always wondered is if I might have some kind of undiagnosed PTSD? Anyone here got T from PTSD?

My best relief so far has been Ibuprofen 400mg.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. MikeGreen
      Uninvolved

MikeGreen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Spotify
      It makes it worse temporarily. I believe.

3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @Dunhill . Hi apparently it's the same for me had to give up weight training As every workout made my tinnitus spike.I guess it's to do with blood pressure building up as you work out. That's another thing that tinnitus has taken from me as I enjoyed weight training.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      My T raises when I am being physical, but it is only temporarily. I don't think too much of the T after exercising since it usually go back to normal within an hour.

5. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Yup, for me I think it's more too do with the music played at the gym rather than blood pressure but it usually settles down about 45 mins after.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dunhill

Dunhill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no idea
      I can understand that T would increase if blood pressure increases. But what I meant was T increasing and staying at a higher level for a long period after. My T becomes unbearably annoying for days if not weeks if I strain myself too much.

7. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Also ibuprofen is known to cause tinnitus.

8. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Yes it does. But just temporarily, louder and higher pitch. But being active and doing exercise is part of being overall healthier, which in the medium and long term helps ALOT with Tinnitus.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dunhill

Dunhill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no idea
      nothing has helped me more though!

10. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Interesting.

Any idea what caused your T??
      Also may I ask your age??

11. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      my T behaves exactly same as yours it stays high as long as my fitnesss levels are high for few days and drops back when my fitnesss levels go down.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dunhill

Dunhill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no idea
      45yrs old atm.

I have no good answer to why I have T! I can remember having short experiences of T even as a child. Then it was not awful like it is now, rather it was a bit nice actually, I used to try to hear it, if you know what I mean!? Now it is constant, and has been since late teens. It has been getting worse the last 10 yrs, in a very bad way. I have perfect hearing otherwise, it even impressed the audiologists when I got it tested a year or two ago.

I live in Sweden, here healthcare is plentiful but of very low quality often, doctors are usually disinterested in solving complex complains. I suspect they have quotas every day they have to process. The whole health care system is run as a planned economy. I´ve been trying to get help but there seems nothing can be done. But then again when you feel like this you don´t have the energy to demand your rights...

13. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I have read about the healthcare issue in Sweden.
      The face that ibruprofen helps would suggest inflammation maybe?? Have you had an MRI??

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dunhill

Dunhill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no idea
      No I have not.

I had an operation for my gall bladder few years ago. They put me on Ibuprofen, drip feed from a bag, and I remember telling the nurse; "this is good stuff!". I never made any difference about painkillers, always thought it was just marketing hype. So when I got my tinnitus examined probably closer to two years ago, I asked for pain killers so I can sleep, I was so tired that time I can´t even describe the kind of black horrid tiredness (but some here knows it I´m sure). He gave me Paracetamol slow release on a prescription. Used them for a year, but one day they ran out and I tried ordinary Ibuprofen from the store, and they were a lot better!

My last 20 yrs are hard to remember with very much acuity. I´ve been on SSRIs alot due to life-long depression. They gave me very bad side effects, and I probably took doses that were too strong at times. I often felt a pulsating feeling that came like a flash from my neck up into the back of the head. I had this feeling long after quitting the med maybe three years ago. Now it is something I feel very occasionally, however, I get a warm pulsating feeling in this area, when I take Ibuprofen as well, right before I nod off at night. Then I wake up all of a sudden when the pills ware off.

15. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I am from Sweden too and I agree on the health care issues. I got an appointment with an ENT 2 months after onset since they wanted to see if it was going away on it's own first. I knew after the second or third day that it wasn't going away. They don't want to (don't know?) prescribe steroids for noise trauma and are so restrictive or ignorant to T in general. Where in Sweden do you live?

16. Welshexport

Welshexport Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, Cervical Stenosis
      I gave up running and cycling its tge rise in blood pressure that makes T spike. I used to do a lot of weights but do very little now weather was good this week so went walking 3 days behind each other. 8km walks at 6.5km per hour my TINNITUS is now soo loud even when I walk its.constantly there and if I listen to music while walking this makes my T worse when I stop. I have always exercised but sometimes I wonder why TINNITUS has made me into an antisocial person.
      Apparently when you awake in the early hours suffering from TINNITUS it's best to lie there for as long as possible and try to get in tune with the noise after 3 hours 2 till 5 o'clock I finally gave in. I wonder if it was just some sadistic piss taking Twat who came up with that little bit of advice. Tea and biscuits is far better

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      For me exercise helps because of the endorphine release and helps me sleep later at night. The T level doesn't really change and I wear earplugs or listen to music because it's way too loud in the gym. Even the treadmills are noisy for me let alone people slamming barbells on the ground and lockers clanking. Nobody with T/H should go into the gym without some sort of ear protection.

18. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Do you define hyperacusis as pain from noise or noise sounding abnormally loud, or both?

19. GlennS

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      For me, pain from noise. Think of ears like a microphone. There's a dynamic range. Go over the maximum and it will cause distortion. For me, I can't come close to hearing the full 120dB of dynamic range of a CD. The T winds up drowning out the low volume stuff and the H makes it hurt over the loud point. So everything has to stay in a narrow mid-level of volume.

20. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      how long have you had pain hyperacusis?

Has it improved since onset?

21. GlennS

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Since day one (1992). The very next day after my damage event the bus stopped on the street and put on its brakes and I immediately felt it like fingernails on the chalkboard. It has never improved.

To be honest, I can totally live with the H becuase I know how to protect myself. It's the ringing that drives me crazy. Just to cut the ringing volume in half or more would be like being born again.

I don't know what my threshold is but it's higher than what some people describe. It's really more about the high frequency content. I could handle a loud bassline like Another One Bites the Dust but a cymbal crash at the same volume would be like ice-picks. I can listen to normal TV volumes across all frequencies.

And note, pain is maybe not the most accurate word to use. It's almost like the feeling of being given an electric shock through my ears. It's feels like an over-stimulation. It's unpleasant but it isn't the same thing as getting a cut or being punched.

22. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      do you have muscle spasms in your middle ear? (tensor typani issues)

Do you also also feel this shock or anything in your neck, jaw or nose. (trigirminal nerve issues)

That's odd it hasn't gotten better. What exactly did the bus do that caused your acoustical trauma?

23. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      I am new to tinnitus but I have noticed my heart rate and blood pressure changes the sound. Even if I am sitting and stand up, my tinnitus gets worse for a moment.

24. Leevi

Leevi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to audio
      I have noticed this too and this was partly a reason why I gave up doing weight exercises. I got constant spikes though these were temporary.

But in the other hand now when thinking back, I should have probably continued exercising more.