Does Fleeting Tinnitus Scare You?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hariz Nonis, Jan 7, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Hariz Nonis
      Sleepy

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Does it? I rarely experience it, but when it happens, my heart beats quite fast and I start to feel uncomfortable. Guess I'm just looking for people who feel the same way.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      It does scare me. Especially in the recent times, when I've started experiencing a completely new kind of semi-fleeting tinnitus. Previously, I would get fleeting tinnitus in both ears that would last less than a minute, usually less than 30 seconds. Very high-frequency bursts with muffled hearing. Now, I get - while still high frequency, noticeably less so - semi-fleeting tinnitus episodes only in my right ear. What's scary is that they have lasted up to a few hours! Most of the time less than 5 minutes though. And they have this different kind of feeling, I can't explain it well, but it's just so apparent it's different. And with tinnitus, different is scary.

Still - they've lasted way longer on average than the episodes that occurred for years before.

I try not to over-analyze it, but of course I'm afraid one of these days it will stick forever, like my new tone that started abruptly before Christmas.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Dave AUS
      Depressed

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      I just freeze up waiting for the new louder tone to disappear. I am so pleased that with time I've experienced way less occurrences of this as it scares the heck out of me.

I have had these fleeting tones for many hours but more often they last less than a few minutes and yes like markku it makes my ear feel fuzzy or very fast minute vibrations. When they are over I try hard to forget and try to relax my heightened state of anxiety

4. Andersson
      Worried

Andersson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      A little, but then I think that everyone gets these, T or no T. And it always goes away in few seconds.
      I guess people with T react a bit more to them then people without T though.

I get it maybe 2-4 times a months at most.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Yes it puts up my anxiety. Always scared it won''t go away.
      The last 7 months I experienced this three times including more loss of hearing and distortion in the effected ear.
      Perhaps I should tell myself it is part of a healing process.

6. RaZaH
      Not amused

RaZaH Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Quite the opposite , I get a huge break from my brain T when I get fleeting T , I have learned to appreciate it . :p

• Like Like x 1
    7. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I have come to terms with my tinnitus sound that never goes and severe but The low drone that comes along does scare me and hope not going to stay...
      Lots of love glynis

8. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I got it before tinnitus. It's terribly scary, but there's sadly not much you can do. Mine lasted for 30 seconds and it goes away...I do hope it doesn't mean I'm losing some frequencies in my hearing, as well my hearing is all I have left to enable me to mask my tinnitus. But really take, N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine and Acetyl-L-Carnitine to protect those precious hair cells. Don't panic too much, as stress will make tinnitus worse.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. PatrickG

PatrickG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punch/kick to the right ear
      I had fleeting tinnitus, about 30 seconds each, like every other day for years until I got my current horrible fluctuating one. But those were always tonal. Now I have fluctuating noises of all kinds.

The other day, I got fleeting solid tonal tinnitus i my affected ear and all other sounds disappeared. Then the tone faded away after about a minute and all other sounds came back again. Only happened once. But got me a bit scared, yes.

10. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      No, I have so many loud noises that I don't even give a shit anymore, just another one on the pile of madness if it stayed, whatever, no big deal now. After enough beat downs and worsenings I've lost hope, and along with that, I've lost the fear as well.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Yes, they do scare me. I try to swallow like in the airplane, move my head etc to make it go away. And luckily they have gone away so far... fingers crossed! :)

12. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I suppose the T in your ear(s) drown the T in your brain. Although it is said that al T is generated in the brain.

13. RaZaH
      Not amused

RaZaH Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Actually it completely removes any brain t for the duration and moves to an auditory perception.
      Rare and awesome 30 sec :p

14. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I like to say. If it wasn't permanent I too could be fascinated with the process of T (less so with H) and hearing damage. That is the kind of person I am.
      But at this moment in time consensus is it is here to stay. That is why at the moment I am less amused with the whole affair.:)
      Keep hoping that hair cell regeneration will be science in 10-15 years and not science fiction.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      I used to get an immediate anxiety response that happened so perfectly in sync with the sound burst, that I assumed what was happening was that I was getting an incorrect release of cortisol, causing both the anxiety and the ringing.

However. While I still get tone bursts, they are generally completely free of any emotional content, and cause me to do little more than pause for a second before I refocus my attention on whatever I was doing. When I was packing some stuff up a few nights ago I got one of the loudest, most piercing blasts I've had in months, and my reaction was to say "well that's fucking annoying" to myself under my breath and then resume packing. At the time, I noticed that I felt oddly detached from the sensory experience; it was strong, and yet completely emotionally neutral. So I suppose that's progress of a sort?

I do feel that I am prone to getting these tone bursts more frequently if I have been using a cellphone and holding it next to my ear. That might be my completely incorrect assumption based on being a poor witness of my own experience, but as a result I seldom use a cellphone in that way anymore.

It's also noteworthy that I know a large number of people who get these tone bursts who do not have chronic tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Hariz Nonis
      Sleepy

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Wow, I did not expect to get this many replies! I hope that all of you are OK, and getting better :)
      For me, the reason I feel afraid when it happens is because my affected ear is the right, but sometimes I get fleeting T in the left ear too. I just hope that it's nothing alarming, because my right ear feels like it's getting better, and I don't want anything to happen to my left ear.

17. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Yes it does because its tens times worse than my normal T and makes me think if it stayed I could never cope.
      Before T it never scared me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      It scares the crap out of me. I have my normal electrical buzz and then sometimes get a loud high pitched ring in the other ear or even some temporary heavy muted feeling in one ear which scares me too. It usually happens once a day, sometimes less where I notice changes or something not like my typical sound. Causes a lot of anxiety. But I try to breath through it and usually it goes away pretty quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      It never scared me before I had this long lasting case of tinnitus either. But now i find it very distressing.

20. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss / ETD
      Ohoooo yes. I usually plug my ears and ride it out or go to a quiet room and wait for it to subside. sometimes that can take over 5 minutes....

21. steffievdboom

steffievdboom Member

Al sounds that you hear for the first time Will get you stress iT is a normaal reaction. The Brain wants to know what makes the sound and makes sure you are going to Find out what causes the sound. IT takes time to relax yourself.
      My ecperience; the more i think About my t the more pitches i have. When i am relaxed and not thinking About my t the les pitches i get..
      Stay calm and try not to worry too much the best thing is to make sure your attention is not focussed on the t.
      Things Will get better. ;)

• Like Like x 1