Does Masking Help Lower Tinnitus After Use for Some Time?

Discussion in 'Support' started by s002wjh, Feb 6, 2017.

1. s002wjh

s002wjh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Does masking help lower the T after use for sometime? meaning after masking, the brain will get used to it, so even without masking afterward, the T will be quiet/almost non-existent?

I'm asking cause my T doesn't really bother me, I guess I'm habituated, sometime its annoying, but never to a point I need background noise to help me sleep, during daytime I heard it, but doesn't really bother me too much especially if I listen to radio.

But if masking helps lower/get rid of T, then I'll be willing to try it. My understand is masking helps brain get rid of T by training with white noise/noise at the frequency I lost some my hearing at?

2. fhs
      Fine

fhs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun range
      Think of it like spraying perfume in the bathroom. The horrible stench can go away if it's a small stench but if it's a big one then you're still going to know that it's there. If the T is small then it can go away if you don't think about it. If the T is stronger then it can go away when there's other sounds distracting your brain. If the T is really strong then masking doesn't work and a lot of people end up committing suicide.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      s002wjh

s002wjh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      wow you are pretty pessimistic

4. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @s002wjh - Tinnitus really is mysterious condition and some things work for others and for others they do not. I have noticed that when I use certain masking sounds - like 'wind chimes' from a particular app, it kind of resonates with my left ear's T and after listening for a while, it can even settle a spike in that ear. I have different T frequencies in my left and right ear, and this sound doesn't do the same for my right ear. I don't know if over time it can help me cure T, but since I need masking (when trying to sleep), I will continue to listen to 'wind chimes', since it seems to soothe my T a bit. Then again white noise has the opposite effect and it aggravates my reactive T, but I don't think it can do any damage. So perhaps it is just a temporary effect, yet not sure if there is any critical concensus about this.

I have read some people telling they got completely rid of their T by listening to a certain frequencies, and I suppose it would make sense that brain maybe would be then able to detect the phantom noise. Hopefully someone knows better when it comes to the research of this stuff, whether it is promising or completely false.

5. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Source?

6. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      For me, it simply (at times) tames the beast. It does not stop the noise. I can handle taming meaning not so harsh or whatever.

7. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1