Does Tinnitus Go Back Down If It Got Irritated by a Loud Noise?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sean, Aug 24, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Hi everyone,
      I have T since last 2 1/2 years. I got it because i was listening to stupid IPOD with very loud volume. it was very loud when i got it, but eventually volume went down. Last year i was exposed to a very loud firecracker noise and it came back like crazy, but eventually volume became some what low after3-4 months . My t does come back when i am tired or drink alcohol but for most part i can live with it. Whitenoise app in an IPhone is a boon! . i dont think i can sleep sometimes if i didnt have this whitenoise app. T completely disappears when i turn in whitenoise.
      last week i went to see a movie and my T got worst ever since!. I am really stressing out. Can any one please advise me if T would return to normal volume after few days? i cant imagine living life if it stays like this.
      life does become normal if you mask the T with whitenoise.But its such pain ti have to leave the whitenoise on all the time.
      please help me out and share your experience. Does the T go back down if it got irritated with a loud noise?
      Thanks a lot!

2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi Sean: Many people have said here that they have had noise increases for a bit that then fade. I am sure you will be ok. Also...carry earplugs with you everywhere and use them in loud places. I can't believe how loud movies are now.

3. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Thanks LadyDi - I hope you are right . As long as it subsides to old level it will not interupt with my daily activities. Would appreciate feedback from other members.
      Sean

4. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @Sean,

It's very encouraging to see that your T eventually went down in volume, if it's been low I'm sure it's going back to being low again. Just like a wave. Perhaps the loud sound exposure have awaken the ever so familiar acoustic trauma somewhat. Like a tiny Tsunami that retreats after a while.

5. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi sean, I say from experience it will go down after a few days ok buddy.

6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Hi Sean,

hopefully it goes back down soon.

Many people experience spikes due to a multitude of different reasons, and usually the tinnitus returns back to "base level" sooner or later.

In the future it may be wise to take ear plugs along to the cinema.

Movies can be insanely loud these days. There were a few posts regarding just that here: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/recorded-sounds-of-tinnitus-examples.184/#post-10571

Have a good week (y)

7. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      hello guys,

Thanks for replies. My T seems have gone back original level( almost !). Thank you all of you for your replies!. Lets see how tomorrow sounds.

8. Callum White

Callum White Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2010
      Mine almost always returns to it's original volume. I find the stress and worrying can make it seem louder than it actually is.

9. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Hi All,

I had posted few weeks back that my T became louder after i went for movies. Good news is that , my T returned to a normal Level from last 15-20 days.How ever i went to a restaurant last saturday, and they had a live music playing in the back ground. I was about 30-40 feet away and i really dont think it was loud at all. It was just slightly above normal level. Now is see my T has spiked up slightly..its not as loud as last time , but i can hear it pretty loud.

Has any one experienced this? If its loud i do understand, but it was not loud at all! I am just very frustrated. How can one completely avoid loud noise? I was on a date and i felt embarrassed , and i didnt take my ear plus out!.
      Please advise, if any one has experienced this.

Thank You,
      Sean

10. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      I experience something like that nearly every day. Last thursday I went to my singing group lesson. The volume of our singing didn't feel uncomfortable and as the lesson lasted only 1,5 hours, I didn't feel the need to take out my earplugs. When I went to bed I realized that my T was very loud again.

I'm a bit fed up with using earplugs in all kind of situations that shouldn't cause damage to the ears in any case. But I guess if the T is troublesome at the moment, it is necessary to be more careful than what would otherwise be necessary.

11. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Thanks Rikka, Does T volume go down again? I am have been staying up lately and i have been tired ..i know my T flares up when i am tired.
      I hope it has flared up because i am tired, and not because of this music. i just wanted to find out from other member if infact T gets flared up with music even though music is not loud.
      I cant logic out why T will flare up if music is not loud enough to cause additioa

12. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      If the noise is not excessive, than there shouldn't be any reason why the T shouldn't calm down again. My T always gets back to a more normal level after singing, walking next to a busy road etc.

I think we should just be carefully about really loud noise (concerts, factory environment etc.) or longterm exposure to moderate noise (singing 8 hours a day every day).

13. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Thanks again..does T flare up even by walking next to busy road? I am just curious.

i went to one concert 1 1/2 year ago, and i had THE WORST T for 4 months!. Concert was not loud so i thought its not because of Concert, but looking back i know it was because of the concert.

14. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Yes Sean my t used to flare up every time I went walking, beside busy roads, I would wear ear plugs.

15. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      i wear ear plugs when i walk outside also. even at church when the music is playing i wear them i can still hear but not as loud.. i will do what i need to do to protect those ears.....

16. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Glad I found this thread. As I posted elsewhere within the past 48 hours... my family was here for a long-awaited visit last week/weekend. So I had a dinner party at my house on Saturday for them. About 12 people. Couldn't imagine I would need to protect my ears in my own home but sure enough, about an hour into the party, I realized my ears really were buzzing. I put in my ear plugs for the rest of the evening. But my ears have been super loud ever since. My ENT acupuncturist scolded me on Monday, said I was reacting to the exposure and needed to be more careful.

I guess what I am hoping for is what I read here... that yes, my level will go back down at some point. Can't believe this happened in my own home. It is loud enough that it has ramped my anxiety back up. So frustrating.

17. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ladydi, I'm in the exact position as you right now. A loud noise has spiked my mild tinnitus to some think now a lot louder, it has been 22 days since the noise exposure. On top of that it is bonfire night and I am sitting in my house with earplugs in as loud fireworks are going off. But from what I have read it should go back to baseline, no matter how long it takes, take care.

18. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys, not doing great at the minute, I slammed a car hood almost 4 weeks ago, 6 hours later I got stuffy ears, a day after that my tinnitus went from mild to moderate. For me to sleep now I have to drink alcohol, quiet rooms now are so uncomfortable. Do you guys think this increase is permanent after nearly a month? Also do you think me drinking myself to sleep is stopping the tinnitus increase going down again?

19. Ty shattuck

Ty shattuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2013
      Drinking usually exacerbates the ringing in most people.
      The last the I want to do is scare you but this may be permanent.. Just start taking whatever supplements you can and find ways to distract yourself. I've heard of horribly prolonged spikes, this may be one of those mick!
      Only time will tell.

20. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Mick: You may remember we discussed a lot of this recently here. Think you were part of this thread:
      Does tinnitus go back down if it got irritated by a loud noise? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

Actually, a glass of wine CALMS my tinnitus. But I am talking one 6 oz. glass, and wine only, not hard alcohol. I think drinking oneself to sleep never is a good idea. And yes, alcohol does cause some people's T to ring louder. Not to mention that alcohol in even small volumes typically disturbs sleep; it initially knocks you out but then you are awake three or four hours later. If sleep is your main problem right now with this spike, you will find lots of better strategies suggested here on the board.

Your spike may or may not be permanent. Also, many people here have said they simply get used to the new volume. In the meantime, although its been awhile since you had the noise exposure: Have you tried NAC? (n-acetylcysteine). Its an anti-oxidant that can help reduce volume if taken immediately before and after noise exposure. Helped me this week. Not meant to be taken long-term. Here is a thread:
      NAC (N-Acetylcysteine): How Much to Take and When | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

I followed the dosage levels recommended.

Good luck. I feel for you. I was way depressed during my recent spike but now I am better and you will be, too.

21. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thankyou for your replies. I guess I have to quit alcohol and ride it out, even if it is scary at nighttime. You know the saying you don't know what you've got into it's gone, well I was happy 1 month ago, I mean who wouldn't with only mild tinnitus, this is very exhausting. When I drank before it would increase at night, and by midnight for the first time in the day I could hear it with the tv on and I thought to my self it is irritating now time for bed. Now it is like that from the moment I get up to the moment I got the bed, god I hope it goes back down!

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      If you aren't getting enough sleep, that alone can be enough to prolong a spike. Don't be afraid to get a short-term prescription sleep med if you need it. Its worth your sanity. Also, lots of holistic approaches are listed here: Sleep Strategies for Tinnitus Related Sleep Problems | Page 4 | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

Karen and Jazz in particular have lots of knowledge on natural remedies.

Use masking or sound generation as much as you can right now. If you already are using one masking sound, maybe try a different one. I recently had to switch from lower cat-purring, air conditioner type sounds (and brown noise) to higher frequency tones. But it worked.

And be super cautious about noise exposure while your ears calm back down. I know its not good to overdo the earplugs because then you get hypersensitive to noise. But for right now, I (for example) wear ear plugs when I ue the hair dryer. And I pop them in the moment I walk into a remotely crowded restaurant.

You'll get better, don't worry.
      And, and oops: I just realized I referenced a thread in my previous post that we already are on!! Brain freeze. Sorry.

23. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      i "baby" my hearing, just like you would if you had a broken foot - this is only obvious (at least to me). I only allow very quiet sounds to get through - your ear needs these quiet sounds to find "equilibrium", and avoid getting hyperacusis and sound hypersensitivity, but completely NO loud noises. Our environment has sound pollution galore, like noisy machinery everywhere, so that's why i almost always wear the bose qc15. that's what i do, so far i have been getting slowly slowly better and better.

24. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      I'm hoping that will work for me too. Last week after my choir lesson my T was terribly loud, I noticed it a lot before I went to sleep. This week I used earplugs during the choir lesson and now it seems better than last week. It does seem a bit odd to use earplugs in situations that wouldn't be normally harmful to the hearing, but if it helps, than I guess that's what we need to do.

25. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Rikka: I noticed you are a singer. I am, too.

I temporarily have given up my spot in a large community choir -- about 150 people -- because it was just too much for my ears. Our rehearsals are about three hours long, once a week, with only a 10 minute break. I did use musicians ear plugs but it wasn't enough. I do recommend you use plugs; musicians plugs, with filters, really help.

I still am able to sing with our church group, which is only about 12 people. I am going to try the large group again in a few months, after I give my ears some time to heal.

Good luck and happy singing!

26. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      Yes, singing is a nice hobby. Fortunately my singing group is also small, so it's ok for my ears. But I will continue to use earplugs. It's a pity you had to give up your community choir. With 150 singers, the volume is probably quite high. The only thing is with earplugs, you hear mainly your own voice and not so much the other singers. But I guess it is possible to get used to that.