Does Using a Mobile Phone Affect Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paul10, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Do you find mobile phone usage increases your T intensity or sound? If so, in what way do you notice it? And does it affect T in your ears or in your head?

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Doesn't impact mine in any way.

3. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      I'm always under the impression that my T is worse on my right ear because of my phone. I try to use speaker mode as much as possible, but it's not always convenient. My right ear has many additional sounds.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I'm the same with speaker phone. I just seem to notice a dull hum in my head as I use my phone but I could be imaging it :-/

5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I always use speakerphone whenever I can. Interesting side note here: I started using speakerphone before my tinnitus increased (before tinnitus bothered me), because I had this bizarre symptom where my brain would vibrate/flutter. Very weird sensation, and I'm not sure if it was doing something to my vestibular system or something else. It stopped doing it but I've changed phones many times since, so I'm wondering if it was something to do with that phone in particular.

All I can say is that it felt seriously strange. In terms of tinnitus, I don't think it has an effect, but the studies I've read on the effects of mobile usuage just seem inclusive. I don't think anyone knows for sure what happens to our brain when we have a phone pressed against it all the time. There was a time when they linked brain tumours to mobile use, and then they refuted it. Who knows?

6. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      I also try to use speaker mode as much as possible and for conference calls I use Jabra speakerphone. However, speaker mode is not always possible when I have other colleagues sitting next to me. But with low volume I don't think it affects my T.

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Have to use all phones on speaker when T is bad. If I use the phone to my ear it makes my high pitched T react and it seems to HISSSSSSS much louder. Its like a bloody snake...Its really uncomfortable, but not actually painful....just awful and odd, hard to describe.:eek::headphone:

8. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Interesting, because sometimes I get a hum or vibrating too after being exposed to louder noise. But I am pretty sure it's not T because I can kind of control it. If I tense myself in a specific way it stops. It also seems to go away when sounds are present, as if my ear drum transfering the sounds I'm hearing. I would describe this as a vibrating ear drum or at least something in my ear and it sounds like a low frequency-hum.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I'm kind of the same; mine feels like my brain is humming sometimes, like I couldn't say where it's coming from, it's just "my head". I'm sitting in my audiologist waiting room so I'll mention it!

10. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I only get this in my right ear. :confused:

I'd love to know what it is though.

11. mcarylong

mcarylong Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Live audio
      I believe it was the use of the speakerphone that amplified my tinnitus. Knowing it aggravates my ears I quit using it. The other day I listed to it lightly, that night my left ear amplified. Wore my maskers overnight a couple days and it went away. Today got in an airplane and the first announcement over the speakers triggered amplification. My ear feels numb.