Does Vicodin Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marie79, May 7, 2016.

1. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Planning for my Wisdom tooth extraction and figuring out what meds to take for pain. I can't do ibuprofen so does Vicodin make tinnitus worse?

Also I was drinking wine at night to relax me and it gets me to sleep (I know it's bad but I feel like we are all kind of in the same boat finding different ways to cope).

Obviously I'm not going to drink wine with Vicodin. I will ask a doctor but can you take Xanax when you have Vicodin in your system?

Ugh such a pain because otherwise it would just be ibuprofen which works great for me but I did notice it giving me spikes. Tylenol does nothing

2. SteveSkis92
      Dumb

SteveSkis92 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity from Electronic Cigarettes (Propylene Glycol)
      Hey @Marie79 , I can't say this with total certainty, but I don't think there is anything to worry about in regards to taking a prescribed course of Vicodin.

For what it's worth, when my T was still extremely mild, I got two impacted wisdom teeth removed. In addition, my recovery was extremely slow. Most people have no pain after 3-4 days. I was in intense pain for 14 days at least (this is VERY uncommon. Chances are you'll be 100% after 3 days or so) but because of my excessive pain, I was given an additional Vicodin prescription (30, 5mg pills) It did not increase or spike my T in any way.

I will say though that I have no idea what kind of dosage they will prescribe you. Some doctors are disgustingly excessive prescribing opiate based pain medication. If you're given a lower dose (<10mg) then it will likely be a Vicodin and acetaminophen (Tylenol) combo.

Bottom line, I whole-heartedly believe you'll be 100% fine. Opiate based pain medication can cause T/Hearing loss, but that's only with absurdly high doses for years on end. A regular prescribed course is totally safe in regards to the ears...

Good luck with your appointment! Hang in there! Ice packs help with swelling/pain afterwards!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

hi Marie,

Do you have a date for your extraction? Wish you all the best for it - do let us know how it goes.

Click

4. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      Did you suffer from dry socket?

5. SteveSkis92
      Dumb

SteveSkis92 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity from Electronic Cigarettes (Propylene Glycol)
      I thought that was what happened, but the doctor didn't seem to think so. They gave me a syringe like contraption to flush my wounds out with that I wasn't good about using. It may have been a minor infection, but God almighty it was awful. Regardless of what I did I would wake up every two hours in absolutely horrid throbbing, aching pain......glad that's over with.

All of that said, OP you should not at all worry about this type of outcome. My recovery was irregular to say the least.....

6. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      I suffered dry socket and it was pretty rough - your extended recovery period seemed similar to mine - around 10 days of intense pain in my case. I'd had loads of infections before though, which is why it was eventually removed - I remember waking up the day after removal and thinking how much of a relief it was, only for it to become really painful 36 hours later. I don't and didn't smoke, nor over irrigate when it happened, which are apparently the 2 most likely causes - like tinnitus, just really bad luck I suppose, but at least that pain was finite.

I think if someone could tell me that tinnitus was going to last for x time, even if x was a few years I would cope with it better. There is just something about the idea of forever.

7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If Tylenol does nothing for you and you need serious pain relief I would ask for the oxycodone without the acetaminophen.
      I'm of the opinion acetaminophen is put into way too many medications unnecessarily.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      Just had my teeth taken out today. Experiencing a bit more T but i think it's because I'm in pain in general.

9. JSalvatore
      Studious

JSalvatore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      You could ask House

• Like Like x 1
    10. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      All of them?

11. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I only had my bottom teeth, the top ones don't exist.
      I'm actually fine now, yesterday was experiencing some horrible pain and tinnitus but now I seem to be better.
      Ricardo

12. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Damn. So, only soup for you, huh?

13. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Did you have them out with a local or did they put you to sleep with a general?

Glad it's not made anything worse!

14. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They did a local anesthetic.