Don't Give Money to Scammers

Discussion in 'Support' started by Don Tinny, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Do yourself a favor, do not give money to the scammers. We have to wait for the developments that are in progress. Some scammers get money from our condition knowing that their "treatments" do not work. The worst thing is that they underestimate any possible advance of science.

I mentioned in a sound therapy center about the FX-322 of Frequency Therapeutics and they just told me "meh ... that will not guarantee that your tinnitus will go away, so .....". To which I replied "Even so, the better I listen the better I will mask it" and he just said "well ...maybe, maybe, who knows". They do not want progress, so they can continue selling their poor "treatments". Any real scientific advance will eliminate their work of holistic approach, counseling and "sound relief".

And they look at you with that feigned pity, like saying "oh, man, you have to learn to live with this, there will not be anything for your condition, maybe in 100 years ... but come here and everything will be fine".

My experience in the sound therapy center:
      The treatment consisted in going once a week for half an hour (yes, only that) and listening to white noise with headphones. They told me that my masking improved week by week without giving me any specific information. I could never look at the monitor. Nothing!

We need to wait for serious developments. Save your money. It's just my advice.

• Agree Agree x 12
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. AVas

AVas Member

@Don Tinny Gotta agree with you. Some treatments can cost up to $5000 for what is essentially white noise treatment with a shoulder to cry on. You can set it up for free in a matter of minutes/hours in your home. This extends even to products like masking devices which are basically glorified speakers with a few preset background noises. Some might argue they emit a "special" sound which is definitely not by any means. Sound is just that - waves.

You want notched treatment - open Audacity (free app.) and do it in literally a minute. No need to pay hundreds for a special app to do that despite what people who sell their products try to make you believe. At the end of the day it's business.

Even a lot of research done with masking sounds tell us "after one year it helped 70%". After that time it's just natural habituation, not their overpriced services that helped.

The funniest of them all is emitting light into your years to help regenerate hair cells...

I once paid $250 just to get a basic test privately in hopes they would tell me something I don't know already by googling an hour and nope.

The reality is nobody knows how to fix things. Current state is that all kinds of stuff gets inject into ears that by some accident might help. It's progress, really.

Personally, I'm also very skeptical about "play notched music for 5-6 hours a day". If anything else overexposing the ears makes things worse, considering they're already compromised and more prone to damage than healthy ears. From personal experience overexposing your ears to sound diminishes tinnitus significantly for a day or two, my guess is that auditory cortex gets an overload. But after a few days tinnitus comes back louder than ever and congratulations - permanent spike!

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Tinnitus sufferers should not be taken advantage of any longer. This forum may have been red pilled but the problem is the majority people who have tinnitus/hearing loss don't use this forum and immediately ride the TRT carousel and throw all their money on useless scams and palliative therapies.

• Agree Agree x 6
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes. On the website they talked more about habituation. But when you're there they tell you about real improvements like "I don´t have it anymore".

I always say it: if I had kept reading a bit here, my tinnitus would not have become a problem again.

5. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      Yup... And as long as @85dB T so correctly pointed out, as long as there are people buying them, there will be people selling them.
      People stop buying them, the immense market gap will become much more visible and there's a much better chance of real therapies being developed.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Isn’t it sad that so many intelligent minds like @Manny get struck with this. Minds that could be doing something so much more beneficial for the world than listening to eeeeeeeeeeee all day long. If often occurs to me that this plague would be better off striking people who are thick lazy ***** with no appreciation for anything.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. John9001

John9001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I always knew TRT (and CBT for that matter) was BS, many people didn't believe me, thought I was just "resisting getting better" or some other shaming language.

I'm glad other people are catching on

• Agree Agree x 3
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The problem is that sometimes you want to do something to solve the problem. Being doing something sometimes favors psychic well-being, but in a short time, without results, you realize that you are wasting your time.
      The "therapy" that I did was not even TRT. It was something even poorer.

9. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have never invested money, time, or too much interest in CBT or TRT myself, outside of reading a bit about it, which failed to impress me.
      It does not amount to any kind of cure, of course.

However, (always beware of those glibly brandishing ‘howevers’) I believe one can experiment a bit with deep relaxation / meditation, and possibly come up with a self help alleviation of sorts, at no personal cost.

I make myself ‘relatively’ comfortable,
      allow myself to ‘hear it,’ as if I have any choice?
      relax, and continue ‘tummy’ breathing with my natural rhythm.
      I often drift off into a doze, or a sleep.
      This practice combines hearing tinnitus, at the same time as feeling relaxed.
      I hesitated to mention this.
      It has helped me for a few years now, but of course, I don’t know whether it can help anybody else.
      I hope it can help somebody out there.
      Dave x

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      My advice is donate to the legitimate researchers, otherwise you'll be waiting a long time.

And if thousands of tinnitus sufferers could get their fucking acts together and stop worrying if their measly $10 per annum donation is going to get spent on a new stool for a researchers arse as he/she studies through a microscope all day, and we all donated we'd make a big fuckin difference.

Instead, people would rather squabble about where their pittance gets sent.

I donated €20 to Thanos last week... I don't care if he bought himself a takeaway to eat as he looks for the cure.

AS LONG AS HE GETS THERE IN THE END!

And if he doesn't, well I hope he enjoyed it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    11. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I agree Allan. I’ve donated to all the promising research. It’s weird how strangely apathetic we are about driving funds for a cure. Given how much people are willing to spend to get cured maybe it would help if someone like Susan Shore said look, ‘ I need x amount and I will bring my device to market on y date and it will help x amount of sufferers.’......More concrete facts about how the money will directly solve the problem. All this research seems to go nowhere and take forever to get there so people feel like they’re just wasting their cash.

• Like Like x 2
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My hope is based on neuromodulation (Neuromod) or Frequency Therapeutics work. I do not see it that far. Maybe you do not have such a favorable opinion about them. I do not expect a cure, just a reduction and stop the fluctuations.

The researches of those doctors, like the Greek professor, I see them light years away, even with donations.

In my case I do not know how to do it either. I am Argentine and everything is 10 times more difficult for me reading in English. :S

13. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      What makes you think it's light years away even with donations?

Why are you putting barriers in your own path???

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Because I understand they are in a preclinical phase. It will take a long time for them to reach phase 1, is not it? And just there 2 more phases. On the other hand it would be great to see a solution that is not a pill to take for life. Tinnitus is really horrible, but the chronic use of prescription drugs can bring permanent unwanted effects. Anyway, if they told me that 'This drug will lower your T by 70%' I would definitely take it. Haha!

15. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I did CBT for a short while. To be honest, it was helpful in that I stopped talking to my wife about it, and had a place to go vent once a week for a few months. Kept my relationship healthy. I later discovered that a massage therapist this is willing to listen to you bitch was a better deal - b/c ya got a massage out of the deal also and it was cheaper.