Don't Know How to Tell My Mum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by K2a0t0i2e, Feb 28, 2016.

1. K2a0t0i2e

K2a0t0i2e Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/13
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head injury
      I have had this ringing in my ears on and off for 3 years. It started when I fell and hit my head on a tree root and on the way to hospital the high pitch ringing started. Ever since it comes and goes a few minutes at a time but recently it has been ringing for longer and more often. How do I tell my mum and ask for help?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @K2a0t0i2e ,

I'm sorry that you have tinnitus as a result of your head injury, and that it has increased in intensity recently.

I think you should explain it to your mum the way you've explained it to us. Just tell her it was intermittent, and now it seems to be ringing more often and louder than before. Also, here is a link to a YouTube video from the British Tinnitus Association, where they have recorded sounds that simulate what tinnitus sounds like:
      British Tinnitus Association - Sounds of Tinnitus

You could try to find the sound that comes closest to your tinnitus sound, and play it for her.

Then, you could suggest that you might want to see an ENT or other type of doctor, or perhaps an audiologist. An audiologist can perform a hearing test to see if you have any hearing loss, that could explain your tinnitus. They can also recommend hearing aids/maskers that might help you in masking the sound. An ENT can check your ears to see if there is any sort of physical problem that could be causing the tinnitus, or recommend other possible treatments for you.

Also, you have a lot of great people and great resources here at Tinnitus Talk. We can help and support you as you acclimate to the tinnitus.

I'm sure others here will have additional suggestions for you.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    3. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?

Why have you waited this long?and not telling your mum?i'm confused.

Concerning things you could do i have nothing else to add to the above mentioned ,i'm just curious as to why you seem to be anxious to tell your mum.

4. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      You shouldn't feel ashamed to tell your mom! She loves you. Tell her tonight.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      K2a0t0i2e

K2a0t0i2e Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/13
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head injury
      It hasn't been a big problem before it only happend for a couple of minutes every other week or so and I learnt to put it to the back of my mind. It was only since we learnt about tinnitus in school and the noise became more frequent I started to think it was a problem.

6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I think it's time for you to tell her about your tinnitus, and to possibly suggest that you visit an ENT or audiologist to be checked out.

Good luck, and let us know what the outcome is. We care!

Best wishes,
      Karen