Don't Overprotect Your Ears

Discussion in 'Support' started by grandfunk1, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Yea. They tell you it's anxiety and so you keep exposing yourself while telling your brain "good thoughts " LOL..yea been there, did that, and nada.

You know another thing, no one wants to believe that your worse for unknown reasons cause it scares the shit of them so they play the anxiety card..like its all in your head and its all anxiety..Yea, of course I have fing anxiety, hyperacusis is like a disease that doesn't belong in this world..Sounds hurt? is that a joke? No, sadly it isn't! Sounds can make you want to jump off a bridge? Not a joke..Reactive T and H is horrific and a problem with the ears/ brain/ nerves and sure, maybe anxiety makes it feel worse but it certainly isn't just getting a hold of your anxiety and everything will be all good.."just listen to sounds that aren't harmful, and dont fear ones that hurt, don't overprotect, desensitize"..etc..haven't we seen enough cases already to know that isnt ALWAYS true?!!

Anyway..what do I know..only researched for 2 solid years..but I basically know enough that I know absolutely nothing.

I could be a Tibetan Monk...I bet I would still have H...actually I bet it be worse with that chanting.

I am not always " sunshine and rainbows" and my apologies for that... sometimes I get heated about this as its severely ruining my life.

*Deep Breath* or 3...

Namaste

Good Evening.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Nice work Lynn. I too am fed up with the "its all in your mind" crowd. My greatest anger lies with Doctors who take the " I don't even want to go there, just pay at the desk as you leave" approach to therapy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Ive had H before lasted 2-3 months only pain. never worsened t while at that h, well it wasnt tthe H doing it, it was situations before H(very loud events)... This time around i can tell u this H is mixed with something else idk what it is thats causing my bad syptoms but ppl act like im making it up or its the anxiety.. Are they are doctors all of a sudden ..the human body can be cruel. i know that from my situation. how am i going to base something off just irational thought..i lived my life fully with T to before all these new symptoms kicked in and incan tell u my T wasnt even mild it was over mild but below severe while still working and trying to live my life. Telis also speaks of this no anxiety issues but also gets the boot from people saying otherwise what are suppose to do... And not to be a ahole but ive noticed some ppl here have way worse problems besides tinnitus they have issues...

4. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      it also gets to me when ill describe my symptoms and theyll say "thats sounds just to rare to happen, as in like theres no way it can happen to me because its too rare.. Hello were on a tinitus forum for sakes that has people all over the world on here. how close minded are you thinking some of those rare cases wouldnt be on here. Like cmon open your eyes and stop living in that little box..i apologize if i offend some people with my ranting...

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Haha..yea I know, for sure!

No joke, my ears are right messed! Today what happened was beyond ridiculous, I give up..they got a mind of their own..and it's scary shit.

I try to roll with it, but the symptoms keep coming and changing..everyday I wake up and wonder how bad it will be..sometimes I don't even care. .like for instance I knocked over a glass bottle today. .I am so tired of being careful, I lost my "Zen" and chucked the damn thing across the room ( no one was home)..

Just really annoyed today...argh.. but yea me too, needed a good rant.

Hang in there ((Geo)) and you alone know yours ears/body the best!

• Like Like x 1
    6. I accept I know nothing. I wish they would do the same without being aloof or insulting....and sadly for added bonus, you Americans also get to pay for that!

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I know the feeling something also happened last night were i had to leave my house fast and go to a cousins apartment and it was hell my ears are paying for it theyve been aching all day and amplified very much and for the people talking about anxiety im calm im just taking all this pain and louder noise sitting here like its the norm for me, not fair...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      How do feel about the US government spending more money on TV commercials for recruitment than they spend on ear problems. 22 soldiers a day commit suicide. Most of them have chronic T and H. The US is owned by pharmaceutical companies. With all the meds that come close from the epilepsy family without horrible side effects.
      You would think at least relief could be garnered. Its really sad. So fascism affects everyone in a bad way. Let them eat cake. Let them wear ear plugs!

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. No it isn't fair. You do need to find some pain relief if possible. At least I have that...even a moist heat bag..I know things are rough now but I truly hope that this is temporary for you.

10. a little off post but..

The WHO won't even recognize Trigeminal Neuralgia otherwise known as the " suicide disease" !!! due to the SEVERE and unrelenting pain it inflicts on its sufferers and for added bonus is guaranteed to worsen with time! It is known as the worst pain known to mankind.

I was diagnosed with it...that and 3 more conditions. The govt (disability) turned me down twice now. " you can use pain control " they said..what a joke! Thankfully mine isn't as bad as many, (and connected to my tmj) but it goes to show that serious ailments are being totally ignored.

Anyways what is some "annoying ear ringing "compared to that?!

Bottom line,

People, young and old, suffer from horrible ailments that desperately need awareness and funding and it's a sad state of affairs.

11. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh I'm not an American Lynn, I'm an Australian. Our healthcare system is a lot like yours, and so it seems are our doctors.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Oh whoops..haha..yes that is true from what I have gathered.

Except recently I met an amazing doctor. First one in 2 years that gives a real damn..but anyways..they are hard to find and I've only seen him once. Ironically I think he is Australian. haha

13. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      One thing I am always confused about is whether I should protect my ears in traffic outside ? Those car honkings pierce my ears and makes me extremely uncomfortable and drive me bonkers I swear !

14. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If it hurts it will evoke a physiological response, even if its a sub-conscious "fright/flight" activation. As to whether damage is being done, well I guess you can only judge that over time. Not every experience of pain in our bodies signifies damage (or permanent damage) being done. Were I in your shoes I'd wear soft plugs outside and get them out as soon as sensible.

15. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Can anybody tell me do you have to get pain with sound to call it H? I don't get pain I get a T spike with noises that continue too long like passing traffic, or clapping and cheering on TV. Consequently I'm afraid of those sounds now as I will get a spike. But I do also feel they loud, sudden sounds make me jump but don't spike T.
      I feel that if I'm having a quiet T day things don't make it spike and I swear if I was not afraid of spiking T, H would never enter the equation.

16. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The word "Hyperacusis" doesn't imply pain, just an extreme of hearing. I don't believe the presence of pain is necessary to met the criteria. Of course "pain" is a subjective descriptive word and for some of us its just the easiest word to use, even if it is to describe an intense discomfort that doesn't actually hurt in the classical sense of pain. You will see the term "pain hyperacusis" thrown about a bit so distinctions within the hyperacusis spectrum are getting recognized.

17. Frederico_23

Frederico_23 Member

The problem about hyperacusis is..... okay you don't protect your ears okay than imagine you are relaxing with some friends in an hotel pool, no need for protection, and all of a sudden a child starts screaming likes no tomorrow. If its far away... classic hyperacusis, fulness a bit of pain but after a few hours it passes, if the scream is near you. Days of pain and louder T or new T. Thats the problem you can never antecipate this noises. You are in the highway driving quietly and a truck horns near you. We are so in trouble... as soon as you leave the house you are putting yourself at risk.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Can you send the link to that article?

19. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016