Don't think about the future

Discussion in 'Support' started by inadmin, Mar 13, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. inadmin

inadmin Member

This is an advice i'm seeing over and over on the forums, regarding the battle with T. How does one actually benefit from not thinking about it? I understand the logic: "don't think you'll be miserable forever, etc.", is that all that is?

2. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I say think about the future cause there will be an effective treatment/ cure in our lifetime

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      That's always been one of my biggest sticking points with CBT/TRT etc.

Think only about today. That's fine, I can do that, that's easy.

I habituated once to tinnitus, only to "unhabituate" when it got worse. Is that what I have to look forward to for the rest of my life? Tinnitus just getting worse progressively? It was easier to concentrate on the here and now when I believed what the ATA says regarding that "for the majority of tinnitus patients, it doesn't get worse with time". I was able to then accept the noise as it was and move on. But to accept the idea that it's just going to get worse and worse?

That's a hard pill to swallow.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      For me that would mean reducing anxiety. One of the traits of an anxious personality is predicting the future ("it's never going to get better", "she's going to get fed up with me", "there's no way I'll get through this", etc - there are other CBT no-nos in there too, like generalizing, all or nothing). So to me it means, dealing with today, and trying to break the anxiety cycle. It doesn't hurt to plan for the future, and think ahead and all those things, but the hard thing for me was not to spend my day catastrophizing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:

I agree that dismissing negative predictions of the future is an important tool in accepting tinnitus. I was able to do it quite easily, however, now I have my own personal experience to back up my concerns that it will indeed get worse with time. That's the difficult part for me to get over.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Ah Hudson, that's not good; I'm sorry to hear that. I think it comes down to finding hope. Mine might be getting worse, but it's still not stressing me out. Could be the drugs (Prozac), or I might just be too stupid to be worried about it. I like to think it's that I'm easily distracted by day to day stuff, like a job I enjoy doing, family life, the band I'm in, people I love. I can't go back to the mental place I was at two years ago, I know that.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      I feel you. Sometimes we just have to go against what our mind tells us to get results and get better. Pretty sure most of the people who come around here have to deal with the same things. I know I do. All I can do though is do what I've always done and be myself and do what I want to do. Produce something, make someone's life better, relax with some good entertainment, a book, listen to some masking noise and you feel as though you always do. It can be calming. If anything, that is our greatest struggle - being calm.

8. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I look at it as if mine gets worse which everyone that has T it seems to if its either 5 years or 10 years or 20 years from now that even if it does get worse to live for that day like you all said deal with the anxiety for today and worry about tomarrow, tomarrow. Accept it for now and when all of us are least expected Doctors will break T and cure it. People dont wanna hear that there isnt going to be a cure in our life time.. And theres no way to tell but at all the advances there making its ridiculous to doubt that there wont be. There might even be more then we dont know that there working on besides all the research we hear about. So as easy as it is to think i have to live with this the rest of my life, its just as easy to think im not gonna live with this the rest of my life i might today but maybe not tommorrow.. And so on! Thats how i think anyways ;)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. inadmin

inadmin Member

You are not aware of any reason that made yout tinnitus worse?

10. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oh yes, I know. I was in a bar that was too loud. I didn't think it was at the time but it turned out to be.

11. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      We all have great hope these days the amount of research T and H is getting nowadays is unbelieveable everyday theres stories of such a persons T being cured or even reduced from new experimental treatments or medications which you have to be optimistic about also haircell regeneration and stemcell technologies are expanding at a phenomenal rate....theres many new treatment options on the horizon and im sure the cure is coming and soon

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Have you habituated to it now? Youve had tinnitus for quite some time now, and if it got worse once in a decade its not the worse case scenario. Also, these are some of the things that you can avoid by wearing plugs or going out less. Unfortunately the body puts restriction for most people.

13. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      Sorry to hear that hudson, but it seems like if your a more careful it shouldn't get worse again right? Easier said than done, I know but I don't think it necessarily has to get worse for you again if you can habituate to this spike. Hope you start to feel better.

14. inadmin

inadmin Member

For how long? And did it increase right after?

15. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Don't think about your T. Don't listen for it.
      When it demands your attention, make a mental note of your response to it. Your response.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      It's bit like that (not thinking about it). I work in an office environment where some times the air conditioning turns off; I (and others) have no idea how loud the system is until it turns off. Then we wonder, how did we not hear that? Of course we hear it; our brain just put it 'in the back of the bus'. Granted, T is much more obtrusive and personal (making the battle harder) but the it parallels this example.

Like @I who love music is implying, it's about your reaction to it, not the hearing part. Over time, your reaction tapers off and you just don't 'give a hoot'; you still hear it (I do), but I will go for hours, now, without even really registering its presence (even though it's really loud). Then, of course, I check and say 'oh, there it is' (even though I'm not supposed to:inpain:)

The future? Like my dad used to say "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it; until then..."; there's some wisdom in there. We don't really have the future, we only have now; but if we worry about the future, we lose even now (to worry/obsession).

I've only recently habituated (once); if there's worse T in my future, then I guess I'll have to deal with it then. Until then, I'm wrapped up in paying off the house (cars, et al), getting the kids through college, writing better java code, taking care of the fam, and seeing my daughter get married (to a guy we really like:)). For the small chance that T may get worse in the future, there's easily ten other positives things to think about (that are far more likely to happen) to include the possibility of T going away (or even a cure).

It's always five o'clock somewhere, let's get together with some friends and enjoy the times...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Roger

Roger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Good words Mark.

• Like Like x 1
    18. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      That was a mouthful, Mark.
      Everyone here should read that post.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

• Like Like x 1