Don't Think I Can Survive This...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TheGagagirl1234, May 26, 2015.

1. TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      Hi! As you can see, I am new to this site and new to T as well. I don't know if this is the right place to talk about this but I really need some advice. I have had a horrible ringing in both ears since February and I thought, like many others, that it just would go away by itself.. However, nothing has changed since my T started and I'm really concerned about it. I have tried several methods, but nothing seems to work for me. I haven't told anyone about it because I'm afraid to do so. I have been bullied when I was little and I'm afraid that it will happen again if I tell someone. It is not a problem when I do something but it's a nightmare at night.. And, the fact that I have insomnia, doesn't make it easier to sleep. I seriously don't know what to do.. I feel like I'm stuck with my T and I don't want to live like this. English isn't my first language so sorry for grammar mistakes. I really need some advice!! Just one reply would make me happy!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Craggy 65
      Amazed

Craggy 65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      Hi,sorry to hear you are struggling with your tinnitus,we have all been there,and everyone takes a different amount of time to come to terms with it,and even then it may not be a steady course.But improve you will in acceptance of the noise.It may go or may not,but your brain will adapt to it.I am getting there slowly,and you will too.Have you tried any meds.for sleeping?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. James Brown
      Sporty

James Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-1998 2013(worst)2018 (T+H)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposition-noise trauma-siren
      First of all don't give up. I live with this for 20 years and I'm still here. This is hard to handle and you will have some problems to cope at the beginning. I don't know how high is the sound you listen, but if you run water from a tap or you shower and you can't listen, believe me it's not that bad.
      After some time you will adjust and your life will go on.
      I advise you to tell at least your parents and try some help, because if you don't sleep you need some help to do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      No I haven't. My mother and I are going to the doctor next week because of my insomnia. I have always had it, but I don't stay up at night when I can't sleep. I have just always problems with falling asleep but I don't know if I should mention my T when we are there..

5. Craggy 65
      Amazed

Craggy 65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      You should tell your doctor everything,and he may give you something for sleeping,good luck,and also,there was no one more irrational than me two months ago,it's not the case now.You will improve.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      Okay, then. I'll see if I dare to do it.

7. Carroc
      Gloomy

Carroc Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unspecified tinnitus
      When you talk to your doctor mention that you have trouble sleeping and now you have this constant ringing in your ears sleep is even harder to achieve. Have you ever taken anything for sleeping before? It's essential you get rest at night. You need a break that sleep provides that will help you handle this better during the day. Don't play a wait and see if it goes away game. It could go away. It may get softer. But while you are waiting please get some sleep meds. There are many that are not addictive. God Bless you on your journey.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      No I haven't. I'm also born with autism and a heart defect which makes it much harder to get the right meds..

9. Cymro41
      Gloomy

Cymro41 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes, have a good long talk with your doctor. I have suffered T for about 6 years. At times I thought I would not cope but you do and you will. Sleep is important as the last poster said so try and get some help there. God's blessing to you on your journey to recovery.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      Was outside earlier and noticed that my T had been slightly improved, but it is still very annoying.. Hopefully it will go away by itself.

11. Cymro41
      Gloomy

Cymro41 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Stay strong and keep busy. You will be fine.

12. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      For some reason, T seems louder in enclosed space (room, car, office etc.). Outdoor, open space, or travelling seem to take away the edge a bit from T. Not sure why. New T is always annoying to the brain. It is such a foreign experience to the body. So it will take a while for the body to get used to it. In the mean time try masking at bed time to help you sleep. A sound machine will help. But if you have PC with speakers, you can use these masking tracks from TT:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/panic/

13. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi @TheGagagirl1234

You really shouldn't be afraid of speaking about your T.. Nothing to be ashamed of having a sound in your head, and actually by discussing it with your family and doctors it could help them to help you get better sleep and manage the anxiety connected to it...

Learn to "accept" the sound and "make" it yours and eventually it could become something which just lingers in the background and will not bother you as much... You are still very young and your brain and body will adapt much faster to it, or even better it will go away at once...

Focus on the good things and the things that keep your mind and body busy and best of luck to you !!!

We are always hear to hear you out and help when we can.. :)

Ciao !! Lorenzo

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      Thanks for your comment! I really, really hate that sound and when I awoke this morning I had a horrible hiss in both ears. Normally the sound will almost dissapear during the night, but it didn't this time. And I'm only 19 years old, so the fact that I have to live with it really bothers me :(

15. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey @TheGagagirl1234

I can totally understand you about hating the sound...

I can also understand that you want it to go away, and that is way hate plays a strong factor, since you hate it and want to get rid of it... And I truly hope and wish for you that it will go away somehow..

But I am afraid to tell you that if it will not go away, you have to learn not to hate it as much, but slowly "make" it part of you and accept it... Until you will hate it so much you will not be able to "let go" and switch mentally and habituate to it..
      I had the same feelings, but when I learnt to accept it as much as I could, that is when I started to get better...

I know it doesn't sound good right now, but trust me it is a good strategy to feel better eventually..

And always remember.. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger... :)

Take care of yourself and your ears !!

Lorenzo

• Like Like x 2
    16. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      It's tough to quote partial comments but yours are all worthwhile to keep intact and you're here, so you're important.
      1. You, TheGagagirl1234, are young. The tinnitus (T) is a huge "conglomerate" that compensates and causes T for many reasons. Trying several methods and nothing has worked doesn't cut it with T. Try several methods and if they don't work, try others.
      1a. As difficult as this seems can you do something to tone down your stress levels? I know it may be a loop - you have T and that causes a scare. Mine's obvious when I'm under more stress than usual and T spikes during those times.
      2. I don't think anyone cares about your English here. I'd be the first in line to criticize that but then, I'd have to call myself a moron :) . Please don't worry about grammar mistakes. This forum covers the globe. I'm impressed that people from other countries speak English well. You're understood and folks are responding to you.
      3. For different reasons, my T tends to blast me out of my seat at night and I may have slept okay as a child but I don't remember that far back. I have insomnia, too.
      4. Since I was also bullied as a kid when my family went through a major move, I understand bullying.
      4a. May not be related but you have a known disease, why are you afraid to tell people? How can they
      mock something that's sort of an unknown entity and they cannot relate to it? (Except, I admit, there
      are a couple of people in my neighborhood who have said I'm not deaf because they believe I can hear.
      Those people are idiots :) ). But again, with me, you don't always see my lack of hearing and no one sees my tinnitus.
      5. Go back to #1 here and start again.

You may or may not be able to stop T but at this stage, you're young and early in the process. Tune into your body and see if you can tell what screams out for your T.

Stick around and tell us how things go for you. Know we're here for you.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      Honestly, I don't know why I'm afraid. But I hate to talk about personal things with people face2face. I'm even afraid to do something wrong at work and my boss noticed it today and said that I don't have a reason to be. My parentes don't believe me when I tell them about my fear. They think I overreact.

18. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      This is pretty much where a user named Danny Boy comes into play. He's convinced, based on his experience, no one can understand it. I'm convinced it takes knowledge, an open mind with some dashes of caring about the person to understand it. Sorry about the lack of any kind of an emotional (empathetic) response from your parents and you have it from me. I'd say they need to be educated but if they can't see what's in your head and aren't educated about the disease it's tough for them (obviously).

Look at the great statement from your boss and keep that in your heart.

19. Cymro41
      Gloomy

Cymro41 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      My T is ringing like mad as I type this post but I am learning to accept it as part of me until the day comes, and it will come, when it can be successfully treated. Don't give in. Listen tousic whenever you can. I get pleasure from playing golf and although I can still hear it it doesn't,y bother me. Continue to do the things you enjoy. Go out meet friends go for long walks and if you can ...have a good chat with God about it. Go for it!!

• Like Like x 2
    20. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      By not talking about ut you may make it worse. At least your parents should know. You have to release the tension somewhere...I would not be able to sleep with T in silence, but with ambient steady music playing as low as possible but still covering t a bit I sleep very well again, even though I had't for at least first 5 or 6 weeks..how did you get T?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      I don't know. I think it is because I have listened to loud music too much but since my T started I decided to avoid it as much as I can. But it doesn't really help.

22. Albert Savage

Albert Savage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1972
      TheGagagirl1234, first welcome to this board you will find that you have many fellow travelers here. I have had the privilege of visiting your beautiful country and my little girl (she will be 40 this summer) was in college spent a semester in Copenhagen. She has returned to visit her host family in Copenhagen many times since then and now considers herself to be Danish.

With the niceties out of the way, hopefully your tinnitus is a temporary condition. But if it isn't, you do survive. My tinnitus started in April of 1972. I was 19, in the US Army and was stationed in West Berlin when I was exposed to an explosion in a confined space. The injury I received from that trauma left me with ringing in the ears and hearing loss.

Over the years, my tinnitus would fluctuate from soft to loud ringing/hissing depending on noise exposure and health (colds, allergies etc.) and then in 2004 my hearing had decreased to the point where I had to start wearing hearing aids. With the hearing aids, my tinnitus improved significantly.

From your postings, I see that you have overcome other adversities in life, and while this may seem insurmountable now, you will survive this too. get-attachment.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      Wow! That is cool! I'm glad she enjoyed her visit in Copenhagen, even though I don't live there.

I really hope my T will go away soon... It's a nightmare to live with. But, today I decided to stay away from music and very loud noises, and I have noticed that the sound is lower than yesterday.

24. bigal1000

bigal1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5-11-2015
      Tell everyone who will listen, I'm in 2 nd week with T I heard a buzz in my ear the next day was a living hell, I'm trying to cope with it now,I'm going for CT and MRi next week, I had a hearing test then seeing a doctor. I have severe hearing lose in ear,I'm going to get hearing aids also. My sister in law has T she's 58 and told me she never remembers not having T her new hearing aids are tuned for here T sounds she they have worked wonders for her don't give up. God blessyou my friend, we all get through this and go on......

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      Thanks for your kind comments! I noticed that the sound is lower today, so maybe it is just a temporary condition. I've been going through a very stressful situation since January so perhaps that has caused my T..