Door Slam — How Many Decibels?

Discussion in 'Support' started by lifeisover, Jul 20, 2018.

1. lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      Despite my requests, someone today forgot to close the front door (a really heavy front door of a house) and the wind caused it to smash shut. My room is on the first floor, directly above this front door. My room is directly next to the stairs, that lead from upstairs right next to this front door on the ground floor. I felt my own room's door shake from the noise of the front door smashing.

I feel like my tinnitus is louder now. I can't take this anymore. How loud could this door slam have been from my room? I am honestly losing my mind.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      Help please my tinnitus feels so loud now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      The whole room vibrated from the impact. I am so scared please help

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Welcome back, have not seen you around since your last very anxious post about a canal drainage vehicle and before that was I believe prednisone. How did those incidents work out? Was your tinnitus permanently worsened? What helped you to calm down and move on from those incidents? Have you actively sought any help coping with anxiety?

A loud door slamming could possibly cause a short-term spike. But having anxiety about the noise and throwing your limbic system into a panic is a guaranteed spike.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      Yea it was permanently worsened and I went through hell the past weeks to calm down and now this. My room door was shaking I wonder how loud it could have been. given that i am right above that heavy front door. i am losing my mind and i am so close to giving up on life today was the first day in weeks i was somewhat calm and then this person comes and does this to me i am losing it

Edit: it was permaanently worsened but not from that drainage car, but from a previous SAME door smash and weeks of anxiety and panic

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have had multiple T spikes as a result of doors (including heavy steel doors at parking garages) slamming. The good news is that all of those spikes turned out to be temporary.

You could use one of the products in the post below to ensure that this doesn't happen again.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...sensitivity-low-positivity.29552/#post-345151

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Tinker Bell I bet you weren't expecting this poster's answer:

8. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Actually I was. From his posting history, it’s clear the author exists in a state of very high anxiety. It’s difficult for a spike to resolve if your limbic system is always heightened.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      To believe that his anxiety has anything to do with his T becoming permanently worse, one has to believe that his anxiety became permanently worse on the day he had that secondary acoustic trauma. Of course the reality is that one's default level of anxiety (that one always reverts to in the long run) is stable. So it is possible to imagine some stress causing a temporary T spike, but I don't know what arguments you can use to convince yourself that this could have anything to do with a permanent T spike.

• Genius Genius x 1
    10. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      People can have anxiety from the first appearance of tinnitus. A second acoustic episode is not necessary for anxiety to increase.

What if your default anxiety level is already higher than average? What if existing for months in that heightened level of anxiety negatively impacts brain plasticity and contributes to the permanency of a spike? Anxiety impacts our overall health and immune system. It’s well documented that anxiety can contribute to very permanent and severe health conditions, conditions with side effects that last long after the anxiety resolves.

And define permanent. His other incidents happened recently. Is it not possible that spikes can last months?

• Agree Agree x 3
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      Please tell me if it is possible to get a spike from this. I was not next to the slamming door but in the room above it. My room has 2 windows which are right above that door, but they were shut. the house is built out of concrete. The door that slammed is a house front door, typical German door for houses, metal/ white painted front door of a house. My room's wood door was shaking from the door slamming downstairs. The door downstairs slammed from the wind.

12. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      The door was not in your room? Your room was above the door?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music

My room is on the first floor of this house, facing the front side of the house, so my room is right above the entrance of the house, i.e. the front door. I was sitting in my room when it happened.

14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The spike can last for over three months and end up being permanent. But if this is the case, one would expect to at least experience some fading at the three-month mark.

I didn't realize that his other incidents had happened recently.

Makes sense.

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, of course it is possible to get a spike as a result of something like that. Having said this, do you have ear fullness as a result of being exposed to those doors being slammed? If not, it is a good sign that you might avoid having a spike.

16. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I would add: is your hearing noticeably muffled?

If you answered no to those questions, then try to calm down and move forward.

If you answers yes to those questions, then also try to calm down and move forward.

17. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I think there are some members who have had spikes longer than three months.

My concern is that we do not overlook the involvement of anxiety. It can play a very real part in our overall health.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am saddened by the situation which you can not control.
      I also worry the heavy door will slam again in the future.
      Is it possible that you move to new apartment which is quieter ?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      I dont know anymore. i dont know if my hearing is muffled.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music

I was working on that but each time they do this to me i only want to end it all i have no more wenergy to move anywhere my whole life has been falling apart. the people who did this know exactly that I cannot stand slammed doors and they keep doing it and then they blame me

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You might consider getting prednisone (or at least getting NAC or
      Nicotinamide Riboside
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...lly-prevents-noise-induced-hearing-loss.7101/ )
      I can't disagree with that.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      I just screamed really loudly cause i am freaking out and my face feels numb. I am so scared

24. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      OP thinks prednisone gave him a spike.

Worried about loud noise exposure yet you’re screaming? BTW, I will save you a future post: that scream will not spike your tinnitus but your current anxiety attack will. Have you considered inpatient care for your anxiety? Do you have a therapist?

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      I am not going to a hospital, already went through that and all it did is make my anxiety worse. it contributed to me having a hard time calming down. was at a hospital for 3 days and was extremely mistreated.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      I dont want to scream but my family is horrible, they mock me for being scared of door slams, if i had the strength i would go away and never ever return to these vile people.

27. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      That's a very interesting possibility. I wonder if there's any research relating to it.

I know that my tinnitus has been permanently worsened before from periods of stress alone. I have it shoot up from anxiety but its the actual intense stress that really gets me.

Just short periods of too much stress can cause me massive spikes that last for days or longer. I'm going through one right now after going out hiking in the hot sun yesterday. One of my dogs got lost in the hills and I was very stressed for over an hour searching for him. Will the spike go down again? Pretty likely. Did it cause a small degree of damage/neural alteration in some way? Maybe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I'm always upset by the situations that could have been controlled but were not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      I really need someone to rationally tell me whtehrt this could cause a spike. I have no idea how many decibels it was.

"Please tell me if it is possible to get a spike from this. I was not next to the slamming door but in the room above it. My room has 2 windows which are right above the slammed house entrance door. my windows were shut. the house is built out of concrete. The door that slammed is a house front door, typical German door for houses, metal/ white painted front door of a house. My room's wood door was shaking from the door slamming downstairs. The door downstairs slammed from the wind."

door looked like this https://www.scheurich24.de/media/ca...nn_haustueren_thermopro-plus_tuer-tps-850.jpg

30. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Listen to what Bill suggested and get something to cushion the sound level of the door being slammed. Maybe something like this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lifehacker.com/quiet-slamming-doors-with-felt-pads-1647106763/amp

• Like Like x 1