Dream Woke Me Up to Loudest Tinnitus Yet

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jake007, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      A weird dream woke me up and I had the loudest t I've ever had, has this happened to anyone else?

2. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      If the T faded away eventually, then yes. This has happened to me too and not once.

3. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Yes, but it died down within seconds upon waking up. I'm thinking it can be a form of Exploding Head Syndrome.

Also, my dream self has recently started wearing earplugs. In my latest dream, I was entering an underground club with a dragon DJ inside (don't ask) and before I went in, I stopped by the door and wore my earplugs. I find it very interesting.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jake007

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It took way longer to die down than it did the last it happened and I thought I was in big trouble. My dream was really weird, but there was one good thing about it, they had made a pill to make tinnitus go away and everyone was going crazy trying to get one. I think our brain waves go nuts depending on if it's a good or bad dream. Normal dreams have woke me up before with t the same.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I remember a girl posting a similar story on a Facebook support group. She has hyperacusis and she had what she called a sound nightmare. She had a very vivid (maybe even lucid?) and noisy dream, then she woke up in pain. It's fascinating and also fucked up how the brain works.

6. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      Yep! I woke up in the middle of an intense dream and my head sounded like someone hit me with two massive tuning forks! It was a volume of tinnitus I didn't think my brain was even capable of producing. Took about 40 minutes to go away. I only had that experience one time, thankfully.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jake007

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's exactly what I thought, the volume was absolutely devastating. It took around the same time for it to die down to a reasonable level. And I hope that was the only one I'll have to experience as well.

8. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      Jake
      You're not eating any food with MSG ..right ?

9. Steffi

Steffi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (initially)
      This happened to me! Only have T in left ear but woke up to it filling my whole head with loudest sound imaginable. Shot out of bed and had to resort to a beta blocker. Calmed myself down and went into the garden (always lower sound outside). Nodded off eventually through anxiety induced exhaustion. Not had it since.
      Steph
      Ps I didn't nod off in the garden.

• Like Like x 1
    10. fhs
      Fine

fhs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun range
      It may have something to do with high anxiety/panic attacks. I had it happen recently and it really shot my adrenaline up. After calming down it mostly died down after 10 minutes and the spike went completely away after a couple hours. In general if you had a spike in T you should expect it to be temporary as long as you didn't have something that would cause physical damage to the ear or nervous system such as acoustic trauma or an infection.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jake007

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've been watching my salt intake, but my T has only gotten worse since it started. I'm at a loss

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jake007

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anybody else keep having messed up dreams?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jake007

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What is a beta blocker?

14. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Happened to me when I first developed T, laying in bed when suddenly it was like something clicked and my entire head had an extreme tonal noise bursting through it.

This happened out of nowhere and I can't begin to explain the panic I felt, me and my mother walked up and down our street 1000 times in the wind and rain trying to calm me down hoping it would go away and luckily it did. I never experienced anything like that before in my life, it was absolutely terrifying.

A year and a half later it reappeared again after a noisy night out, the following morning I was ok and then this click just happened and back came this loud tone bursting through my head like it did before, this time it took nearly 1 month to go away completely but I'm glad to say I haven't experienced it since.

The most bizarre thing I have experienced is musical ear syndrome, that shit had me freaked out for a good two months!

15. Steffi

Steffi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (initially)
      @Jake007
      I was prescribed Beta Blockers for my anxiety and panic attacks pre T. They combat the symptoms of a panic attack by lowering the heart rate. Most people take them at regular intervals but I was told to take them when I felt an attack coming on. Mine are called Propranolol.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jake007

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What did the musical ear syndrome sound like?

17. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      Glad I found this thread. This happened to me last night. I was having a pleasant dream. Then the dream turned nightmarish and I could hear very loud, yet very odd and strange sounding T in my left ear, which is my non-T ear. Woke me up and my anxiety skyrocketed. And the worst part was this new loud spike was not going away. It died down after about an hour. It sounded so odd, usually my T is high pitched, but this tone... it sounded low, like a filtered tornado siren... frightening... I HATE T

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Jordyn
      Angelic

Jordyn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 10/17 - in remission, late July/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown - possibly earphones.
      i had weird dreams - prob cause my t was going nuts. maybe while ur asleep the t inspires the weird dreams. one time i was dreaming of a fire alarm that wouldn't shut off - it was my t entering my dream.

19. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      The good news is you don't have tinnitus in your dreams. When you do it's the memory of your tinnitus.

I speak from experience though. I'm a lucid dreamer. Literally the only good thing about tinnitus is I could use it as a dream sign. If I can hear it and I can turn it off, then I'm dreaming.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      It's crazy! I get it on and off. What did it sound like for you?

21. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      This used to happen to me in the first few years. But no so much related to dreams. I would actually have a loud spike that would knock me out of bed. Nerve damage.

I also went through a lot of hypnosis therapy that gave me guidance on how to try and turn a nightmare around and empower me. Really hard to do though. For example if you are dreaming of someone chasing you and you have that intense fear...try to change the dream by turning around and facing the person after you.

Recently I had this really weird dream/sensation. I actually smelled lavender very strong lavender. It woke me up and there is no lavender scented anything in my home. Wasn't scary though.