Driving and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jamescjl, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Jamescjl

Jamescjl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Hi,

Dose anybody know how Many decibels the inside of a car makes on average when driving?

I was just wondering as was in long car drive and thought the at times it could be quite loud on certain road surfaces and tinnitus now seems to have flared up. Never thought to take ear plugs when in car and people say you shouldn't over use ear plugs.

Not sure if it's because of road noise or maybe the stress that caused it to get higher

Thanks

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You can download a free sound decibel app to help find the answer....with Windows open and Windows closed....lots of love glynis

3. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      It's the road noise AND the stress ( of driving ).

Then if you have audio inside the cab (small enclosed space ) ..especially at high levels, ..and especially with some CHEAP (damaging ) speakers

..It's almost about the worst dam thing ( in everyday life ) ..that you could do. ( Spending too much time in a vehicle ..the constant noise ..elevated stress level

4. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Yup and too think I would get home from a busy day in work and pull one of the cars out for a blast too relax (God I miss those days)
      It never occurred too me how loud they can be lol I never had an issue with the noise though, I loved it. First thing I would do is put the window down about an inch regardless of weather.

It depends on the car, the average car is about 75db on the motorway, a convertible with the top down can be over 100db and the exhaust on a Ferrari on cold start is over 100db too lol

5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      My car measures around 69db (BMW 320 m sport) on the motorway (freeway). A fiend of mine has a convertible 6 series that I went out in with the top down. It was in the high 70's. It would be a different story sitting in the back though as that is where you get the wind buffeting. Smaller cars are louder than bigger cars inside the cabin, in general. It also depends on your tyres' decibel rating and the road surface. Most tyres fall between 67-74db.

The majority of cars are not dangerous at all, in terms of noise, whilst sitting inside cruising. Custom exhaust systems can be way over 100db, but this is standing at the back whilst someone revs it. These are not your everyday cars.

6. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Just found this: http://www.auto-decibel-db.com/

It corroborates what my meter measured. I will add to this that I don't go around measuring decibel levels in cars lol. When I first bought my meter I measured a few different things to get a general feel for how loud things actually are. Nowadays it just sits in my draw.

7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ed209
      I also have a decibel meter Ed that I use occasionally when listening to my HI-FI but haven't used it to measure the sound in my car. You have a nice vehicle by the way but I won't mention mine as some people might give me a hard time and think I'm a snob..lol Just kidding!
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    8. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I used mine to gauge the levels in cinemas, bars, gigs, restaurants etc. I bought it because I wanted to know how loud our band rehearsals were running so I could change things if they got too loud. Haven't played with my band for nearly a year now so I don't really use it.

9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      As a HI-FI enthusiast music is very important to me as is the level of sound since I got tinnitus many years ago and that's when I bought the sound level meter. For comparison I downloaded a sound level app on my phone and the levels were comparable to my semi-professional sound level meter.