Dublin Tinnitus Trial

Discussion in 'Research News' started by jeff W, Jan 3, 2018.

1. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      • Informative Informative x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Zero information on the device being tested. Probably another sound therapy...

3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Trial sponsored by Neuromod, they are behind MuteButton. Wasn't there news sometime back that they'd be running another trial? Maybe this is it.

• Like Like x 4
    4. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yeah, there is a guy here who was on the trial (the last one).

It looks like a private trial, I would wait for an independent trial if I was to buy it. The reason for that is that when I bought the TinniTool it came with positive results from their private trial, and now on customer reviews it's got 0/10 from sufferers.

Still, I wish Neuromod the best of luck and many riches if they can prove it works. Any company putting their own cash into tinnitus treatment need commending, I want them to succeed, but I'm very cautious.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
    6. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The GP didn't sound too clued up at all, I found the sufferer much more helpful to listen to.

Does she even know about hair cell regeneration, hopes in new epilepsy drugs, antidepressant drugs that target the hippocampus, DBS, rTMS?

Asked about hope for a cure she says "no", then how come there are quite a few companies trying to target tinnitus?

• Agree Agree x 4
    7. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      The GP was totally clueless. Most of them are like that...

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Joeymeatballs
      Curious

Joeymeatballs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      any amount of research is good imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      I have some media that was deleted about this trial, I can message it if you like.

10. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Can do - although I think this treatment would have some heavy competition from Susan Shore's signal timing device.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      There's a really weird video on YouTube by a chap called Bill Angelos. That tongue technology was basically taken from Paul Bach-y-Rita's work who himself took the concept from j.j. Gibs0n. The area is known as ecological psychology, very advanced science that try to break down the mathematics behind perception. Anyway that bill chap has a video with Cheryl Stiltz using the device for her balance disorder. It was in a book and documentary called the brain that changes itself. I don't take the mute butt0n device that seriously as i dont know if the investigators understand the technology behind it, it could be like monkeys trying to fly an alien spacecraft, but in all seriousness anything that stems from jj Gibs0n's work is not to be taken lightly. The man was a rare genius, centuries ahead of his time and his work is only now being realised as the future of perception study.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Geoff alston
      Torturous

Geoff alston Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic stress
      Waiting to go on this trial in Dublin... will update.. fingers are crossed to say the least for any improvment

• Like Like x 3
    13. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I'm very sure this is exactly what it is. I don't have much faith in it, but I hope it succeeds.
      That's awesome. Hoping you get in(y)

• Like Like x 1
    14. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Jack Sparrow
      Drunk

Jack Sparrow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      One Month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Eh it probably won't. Call me a pessimist all ya want. Let's be real.
      Captain Jack

• Agree Agree x 3
    16. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hm...We'll see the results of the trial and who knows it could work. We won't actually know until some actual clinical results come out. Best to have some hope, at least it keeps us going. If it fails, it fails. If it succeeds, then more investment will come tunneling to tinnitus research. Personally, our best hope is KV7+ channel activators or even a KV3+ one.

Thing with tinnitus is, because of the trial and error of such studies, I believe if they manage to release these Potassium channel modulators, then we can either test the medication on ourselves like trobalt (Not ideal) or have small controlled studies which demonstrate these trobalt anglogs work or if KV3+ activators have the potential, even though it'll be off label. As for this device, I hope it works and helps some people as severe tinnitus can truly be disabling and disturbing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Why? What's in Germany?

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Ireland

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      I am also skeptical, the concept was taken from JJ Gibson's & Paul Bach-y-Rita's work, but this team is much more ordinary in terms of talent. But hey, it takes losers to make winners look so good!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. davidamee86
      Breezy

davidamee86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Road Accident
      Ya I was on it. It can improve it. I have two sounds to my tinnitus white noise sound which is quite soft and very tolerable and I also have a 9200hz pitch which is the annoying part of it - depending on my mood (I am getting more and more used to it in fairness). The device quietened the high pitch part often. I used to listen to the device for an hour before bed. Straight after I take it off it sounded different and then when I used to lie down and just before I would fall asleep the high pitch often stopped. I reckon if I had it for a few months and kept doing this I could actually help reduce my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 8
    21. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Interesting... I have had a similar experience a few times without using any such device. Just before I wake up I would experience no tinnitus at all, while I was still drowsy. I have experienced this a few times, and it would usually last for just a few seconds, and as I became increasingly awake the tinnitus would start to appear again.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Are you allowed comment on the trial? Did they administer balance tests?

23. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Same happened to me but sometimes it lasted for solid half an hour when I was well rested after the sleep... then the tinnitus kicked in.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    24. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      This I think shows more than anything that tinnitus is more of a brain problem than ear problem. It may start with the ear, like an injury for example, but the noise is generated and sustained by the brain. I see that you have indicated that your tinnitus was caused by head injury and acoustic trauma. Mine was caused by acoustic trauma, by a very loud noise that was suddenly emitted through my headphones because of a technical problem with the audio device.

• Agree Agree x 3
    25. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Well, I fell on my neck during a Judo class, that's when I first noticed the ringing and it remained in my r. ear for many hours. Then it disappeared. A week later or so I attended a Bday party (mine) at a loud club and a girl shouted in my right ear. The next day morning the ringing was definitelly back at a higher intensity (what a Bday present, right?). Then it became magically bilateral. I do agree though that it is more of a brain thing even though damaged hairs inside cochlea do play a role. In my little book on tinnitus is shown how many actually pathways(checkpoints) there are on the way to the brain's auditory complex where something could be misfiring the false signal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Geoff alston
      Torturous

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic stress
      Got into the assesment stage and seen last week for mutebutton. Lots of questions. And a hearing test was done.
      Was refused the trial today. Waiting three months to see if I would go through.

Part of the reason we hear so little about mute button is they make you sign an agreement along with other things not to discuss the trial on any T forum..they stress this at least three times on the forms you sign.

My T is so loud I have to T clinic Uk, so am booking an appointment for very soon.

27. brummygirl
      Cheerful

brummygirl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      clenching jaw while weightlifting
      Sorry you didn’t get into the trial, Geoff. Do you know why you weren’t included?

28. Geoff alston
      Torturous

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic stress
      I'm not sure. I filled in about five surveys. I am thinking my mental state may have been seen to be too poor, but that's only a guess. I have chronic T so that is not the reason I don't think.
      I was a bit surprised being refused.
      As they say they have a criteria, I'm thinking this is just to suit them so they obtain the maximum results so they can get the product to market again.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    29. brummygirl
      Cheerful

brummygirl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      clenching jaw while weightlifting
      Shame they didn’t offer the information on rejection. I know I was told why I didn’t get on trials (not tinnitus) when I applied.
      For me, once was because I am over 50!! Darn cheek! The other was because my nurse put though the application one day late.
      Sounds like it would be good for you to know, if just for completion.

• Agree Agree x 3