Ear Blocked and Tinnitus After Microsuction

Discussion in 'Support' started by Masku, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Masku

Masku Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi there, I've had mild tinnitus since 2014 and been occasionally lurking these forums, this being my first post here.

Yesterday I went to ENT because I had some pain and itching in my left ear. He decided to clean the ear off wax using some kind of a suctioner (microsuction?) and then rinsing it with alcohol, even though there wasn't much wax there to begin with. After me lying down, I think he put the suctioner in my ear and I heard a few loud noises and felt a few pinches, then for some reason my ear became completely blocked. He then manually removed some wax and told me to lie completely still. I complied but got a bit scared of my ear still being blocked as he didn't warn me of that beforehand. I said that maybe this wasn't such a good idea and he stopped the cleaning (I think he didn't even get to use the alcohol).

For the rest of the day, my ear still felt a bit full. Tinnitus in that ear had also gotten louder, such that I had trouble falling asleep. Today has been better: the ear doesn't feel blocked anymore and tinnitus isn't as loud, though I really can't say it has normalized.

I've begun to wonder, should the microsuction cause things like this? I've read it should be one of the safer ear cleaning procedures!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      yet another microsuction casualty. go thank your ENT because he just recklessly fucked your life up.

@David, why aren't you foolish goons at the BTA warning the public about this barbaric practice?

• Agree Agree x 1