Ear Fullness/Inability to Pop/Crackling When Swallowing

Discussion in 'Support' started by hannah bow, Sep 13, 2018.

1. hannah bow

hannah bow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi :)

I've had noise induced tinnitus for over a year now, unfortunately it worsened after a second noise exposure but slowly habituating and keeping positive :)

I just wondered if anyone else had any of the following symptoms along with their tinnitus, such as a fullness feeling in the ears, a hissing/clicking when swallowing/inability to pop ears? It feels as though there is maybe something more going on rather than simply noise induced tinnitus. I've had it checked and they can't find any middle ear fluid and the pressure within my ears seems fairly normal.

Just thought I'd reach out to see if anyone has had the same experiences/has any advice?

Hannah :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have very similar symptoms.

My tinnitus as far as I know wasn’t noise induced, mine just happened one morning two days after an ocular migraine, still no answers what caused my tinnitus if they are related or not.

Recently I have been diagnosed with ETD, I have fullness, very high pitch hissing and clicking, and most of the time my ears will not pop, my left ear will pop and crack as I move my jaw or even talk, my right ear which is my worse ear with tinnitus will not pop unless I put so much force on it.

You may have ETD? I knew something else was going on with my ears besides tinnitus, my ears just doesn’t feel normal and I got my answer a few months ago.

3. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Hope both you ladies feel better in the following months/years. IF your case isn't too severe, things will simmer down and hopefully you can continue to lead normal lives with T only being a minor inconvenience/irritation of every day life.

• Like Like x 1
    4. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the encouragement! I’ve had it for 11 months too long, but learning to deal. Still struggle, but no where as bad as I did the first couple of months. How long have you had tinnitus? Is yours loud?

5. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I've had T since 2016 =]

It used to be very loud...but tapered off through the months/years. I think around 8 months it showed improvement...then drastically lowered around 1.5 years...and now it is just a very faint hiss that is not heard unless in a quiet room with no sound or wind. It still bothers me sometimes like anxiety when i am in a very loud place but it is under control. I used to panic when i first had it for the first year because it was quite loud, but habituation got me through and the noise went down on its own.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Well I have crackling in both ears when I swallow. But in my left ear (the one with tinnitus) it's way louder.
      I can't say for sure it's tinnitus related though. It's probably just my jaw or something! But yeah it's pretty loud.
      Doesn't bother me though as I don't think about it. Although now I've read this post, it's at the forefront of my mind lol!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hannah bow

hannah bow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Yes this sounds exactly the same as mine! If I push my jaw forward at all then it goes really loud. I think I definitely do have ETD, sometimes I get a really full feeling in my head too as if there's too much pressure. Do you take or do anything to ease your ETD?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hannah bow

hannah bow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Have you ever experienced a second acoustic trauma if yours was brought on by noise? I think I damaged mine further a second time so now it is quite a loud ringing, I do think I'm habituating and it really doesn't bother me too much... but I'd love for it to go back down to a hiss again at some point... maybe in a few months :)

9. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I suffered 2 exposures after and a few days ago i went to a wedding with ridiculously loud band. The first one took 2 months to go back to normal, the second was1 month...the wedding didn't create a spike at all possibly because i wore plugs...but noping out of weddings for the rest of my life.

Weddings are always going to have ridiculously loud sounds...just not worth it. I'll throw a quiet baby shower for you instead if you have kids...but not coming to your wedding lol

10. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      I've had these exact same symptoms since having microsuction in 2016. This caused T, H, HL... I have extreme pressure in both ears with popping and crackling. I'd love to feel normal again... And not constantly think of my ears. @hannah bow did you ever find any answers?

11. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I have this. It squeals like a stuck pig.

12. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Blue28 I wasted 3 thousand dollars over the years on vitamins, supplements and antioxidants with no results. I then started the following after intense research and talking to professionals in pharm research: Made sure my D3 levels were normal. I had to increase D3. Started to use magnesium chelate because acoustic trauma will drain magnesium. Magnesium chelate is best for muscle tissue with the breakdown of fatty acids. Increased B12, even though my levels were at the top of normal range. Then I added alpha-lipoic acid 600. I now use all of the above.

There's known effects where some will feel that a certain supplement or vitamin works and sometimes it's just temporary because of mind tricks. I'm a realist where I know the perceptions of mind and body. When there's pain, actual biological improvement needs to happen.

Alpha-lipoic acid
      https://www.audiologyonline.com/ask-the-experts/alpha-lipoic-acid-and-tinnitus-130

In this link click on alpha-lipoic acid
      http://www.bio-alternatives.net/

• Like Like x 1
    13. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I have ear fullness since February 6..it sucks :(

14. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Thank you @Greg Sacramento I will definitely look into all of this. My vit D3 levels should be fine as I take a very high dose supplement daily. I have taken b12 in the past and for a long time but maybe I need to get my levels checked. Have you noticed improvement?

15. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Blue28 The combination that I mention above with alpha-lipoic acid does temporary lower my T, at least to get sleep. Please read the links that I provided above about ALC and then research what is mentioned a little more. This may help you. Take it on an empty stomach. I'm hoping that after a couple of months that it will also help a bit with my severe mouth nerve damage pain. Sometime please update me on self and family.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Milky Way

Milky Way Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caused by stress and music as far as I know
      I have found that wheatgrass powder is quite potent to alleviate my clogged ears. I bought it after reading some article on the net, and it is definitely worth a try.
      For healthy ear maintenance, I also indulge in raw garlic. My ears feel stronger and less sensitive to city noise. A big +.

17. PaulFi

PaulFi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Medication

Hi Hannah

I have exactly similar symptoms since I had a tinnitus relapse after 7 years with it. Theses new symptoms you mentioned I now have also. I have what sounds like a fizzing/hissing sound when I swallow or yawn or move my head to the side, all just on my left side. Anyone else hear or experience this?
      I have suspected Eustachian Tube problem also but it could also be just part of the tinnitus we have. If so does it go away or lessen these noises when swallowing and ear fullness and inability to pop ears?

Thanks
      Paul