Ear Infection and Constant Ringing in That Ear. What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'Support' started by hlasd, Jun 27, 2016.

1. hlasd

hlasd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      0624-16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection?
      Hello,

I went to see a doc on the 24th for my right ear. I had a cold for about a week and the night before, my right ear was plugged up. It started ringing and discharging fluid so I figured I had an infection. The doc said that the right ear was indeed infected. He checked the left ear and said it had a large amount of wax build up but wasn't infected. He told me that I should get a ear wax removal kit for the left when I have the time. He also prescribed a Z-pack antibiotics, Neomycin-Polymyxin-HC Ear Suspension drops for the right ear and some codeine type syrup for my throat.

Anyway's, that day, I didn't start the wax removal kit but I did take the other drugs and some advil in hopes of getting some good sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night with my left ear ringing extremely loud (this was supposed to be the non-infected ear). That did substantially subside later that morning but the ringing came back in the infected right ear. And the ringing in the right ear has not stopped to this day.

Something to keep in mind is I did do some flying about 18 days before getting the cold and 24 days before the ringing.

So yeah, I've started the wax removal kit on the left ear. But besides the prescribed drops for the right ear, I really have no idea what I should be doing.

What kinda timeline should I be looking at for the ringing to stop?

What should I do to speed the process up?

What are the chances that the ringing doesn't stop?

Any thoughts here are appreciated.

Thanks,
      Liam

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Ear infections can take a while to go and for the Tinnitus it can take weeks longer to go as the inflamation settles.
      Always worth going back to the doctors to check the infection has gone after your meds have ran out as sometimes a second course is needed....lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hlasd

hlasd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      0624-16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection?
      Thank you Glynis!

The cold has mostly subsided besides, the cough. That is still there as well as the ringing and crackling type sound upon swallowing.

At times, it's seems as though the ringing has gone from my ear, to within the middle of my head. Hard to describe but it's almost as though I can't discern which ear the sound is from.

I just started hearing a wooshing more bass like, almost popping sound every few to 15 minutes maybe.

I think I will have to schedule an appointment with an ENT if it doesn't subside soon.

Any ideas on this would be great!

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You can try steam inhalation to clear any mucous in your tubes ...lots of love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hlasd

hlasd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      0624-16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection?
      Will do. Thank you!