Ear Infection & Ringing Tinnitus — Help

Discussion in 'Support' started by hannah tetlow, Apr 4, 2017.

1. hannah tetlow

hannah tetlow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi everyone,

New to this. I'm 19 yrs old. For a long time I've had ear problems ... perforated eardrum for 5+ years which I still have, constant earwax build up, hearing loss in perforated ear. (right ear)

For a month now I've had weird popping sensation in left ear and feeling of fullness/pressure - dr said ear was full of fluid and have been taking steroid nasal spray and inhaling steam for that for 2 weeks now.

Last Monday I went out for approx 2 hours to a nightclub where I have been many times before - I usually experience some temporary ringing after which goes away after a few hours.

However this time it didn't go away, constant tonal beeping intermittent noise in right ear, it is pretty loud, by Saturday I was feeling awful, saw an emergency dr who said I had ear infection in that ear, prescribed amoxicillin and on Monday another dr said infection had spread and now I'm taking 2 lots of antibiotics plus ibuprofen plus piriton plus anti anxiety tablets (as I haven't been coping well with this at all - panic attacks, not eating or sleeping).

Have had no pain hardly, just awful ringing which is really distressing me. been reassured that ringing will subside when infection clears, but still worried? Has anyone been in the same / similar situation as me???

Am seeing ENT on Friday for a check up but I'm terrified this ringing will never stop or subside :( thanks.

• Winner Winner x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes the ringing often goes away when the infection recedes. It may take a little while though, so hang in in there.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hannah tetlow

hannah tetlow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @GregCA thank you for your reply. :) I am hoping and praying it will as I cannot live with this - it's so loud! I can even hear it over conversations with people and the TV :(((( I've never experienced tinnitus this horribly bad before - I really do hope it at least subsides with the infection - do you think it could take a few weeks for it to do that? Even after the infection has cleared up? Thanks.

4. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes. It can take that long.
      Good luck.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hannah tetlow

hannah tetlow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hannah tetlow

hannah tetlow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @GregCA did you have a similar experience??

7. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      No, but I know someone who did (very recently).

8. Nikopol

Nikopol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (sinuses, stress or cervical...doc opinions differ)
      Let your ENT check fluid in your ear. It may take even up to three months for T related to fluid / infection to disappear. Fortunatelly for you, in vast majority of cases such as yours, it goes away in multiple weeks up to three months.

9. A_R

A_R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold virus
      I have been suffering with tinnitus since I got a bad cold that left fluid in my left ear. I was prescribed prednisone, and it reduced the tinnitus by at least 90 percent. I took my last dose today, so I'm not sure if the ringing in my ear will roar back to life again or not. I'm also not sure if the last little hiss that I can still hear will go away, but even if it doesn't, I believe I will quickly adapt to that sound. So don't lose hope!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hannah tetlow

hannah tetlow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @Nikopol @A_R thanks for the replies & reassurance guys! Fingers crossed that it will subside with the infection. Even if it does take up to 3 months, I don't mind as long as I know that it will eventually subside! At the moment it is unbearably loud and I could not live with it at this level forever :(

11. Nikopol

Nikopol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (sinuses, stress or cervical...doc opinions differ)
      Mate, my granddad always used to say "given enough time and man will get used even to hole in the head."

12. Aelk5579

Aelk5579 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting 9mm
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hannah tetlow

hannah tetlow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @Aelk5579 Just finished 1st course of antibiotics today and will finish 2nd course on Monday..the infection has cleared and the T has very much died down! At the moment it is still fluctuating a bit but it is so much better than it was last week. I sympathise with you, it's horrible! But don't worry im sure it will diminish if it's due to an infection! Sadly I have a bit of T in my left ear as well due to ETD but I'm treating that now so hopefully that too will eventually die down. Good luck!! :)

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hannah tetlow

hannah tetlow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @Aelk5579 it could take up to a couple of weeks though so be patient & don't lose hope. Give your ears time to rest by avoiding loud noises - my T is better but not completely gone and I feel like it might take another week or so for it to diminish mostly! Also if you are taking antibiotics for an infection make sure you finish the course and get your ear checked to make sure the infection is clearing up :).

15. Aelk5579

Aelk5579 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting 9mm
      @hannah tetlow
      Thanks Hannah. It's already starting to feel better as the t is not as loud as it was 2 days ago.
      I am taking antibiotics so will continue until they are finished

My ear still feels blocked but I guess it's from the infection. I got this infection by stuffing foam ear plugs too far in and it's irritated my ear drum.

It is really freaky when it first happens and especially reading these forums with some people having t permanently

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hannah tetlow

hannah tetlow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @Aelk5579 thats good to hear! At least now you know to be careful with ear plugs in the future! You have to try and avoid reading all the scary posts on the internet (I have learnt this too) as it makes you stress more which is not good!! & most of the time what you have will most likely be temporary. Hopefully you will feel a lot better when you finish the antibiotics. :)