Ear Muffs (Going Out to a Party) — I Need Help...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mario martz, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Should do the job. Just be careful of bass though. Stay away from speakers.

• Like Like x 1
    3. lolkas

lolkas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don`t know
      Bro get yourself -34db reduction ones from amazon + get these earplugs (either foam(they are veeery cheap) or musicians with different filters). Wear both if need but i would wear plugs 100% at all damn time + put muffs on as soon as you feel you need a bit more noise reduction - put myffs on asap.

Just know - max reduction you can get from muffs + earplugs = -40db (noise cancellation does not stack like that)

• Like Like x 1
    4. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi Mario,

I think if you wear this kind of thing you won't be able to chat with your friends. Because you won't understand what they say at all, even if they talk loud.
      What about some filtered plugs? Like those https://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/earplugs/partyplug/
      Not sure you'll be able to have them in time if you order them via this website though.

So, maybe foam plugs would be a wiser choice. If the music is not very loud (I mean, not like in a loud nightclub) that should be perfect.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016

its a house party! but im afraid if its gets loud then ill have to get back home.
      so i was thinking the ear muff would do the trick!
      but you are very right..
      im gonna try to find these alpine plugs and if not, just wear foam plug!
      even with foam sometimes is struggle to listen conversations haha

have you used those alpine ear plugs?

6. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Yes I have them, I have never put them for more than one hour but I find them comfortable.

Alpine are Dutch so I think you'll never have them in time actually (you're in the states right?) but you can check what they say regarding delivery times on their website. Or you can try to find a similar product made by an American brand ;)

I think foam plugs are as efficient as this if they are plugged correctly though ;)

• Like Like x 1
    7. lolkas

lolkas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don`t know
      Sorry but how bad your T is ? Both ears ? from 0 to 10

• Like Like x 1
    8. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Like others have said, get those and wear ear plugs inside.

It would have to be a pretty crazy party with perhaps an engine from an F35 fighter jet landing (about 152DB apparently) to cause damage through that. On the other hand, a party with a fighter jet would be the best party eva!

• Like Like x 2
    9. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      i think plugs and muffs for a house party is excessive. I wear 15db filtered plugs at bars and it's fine. if the music is too loud for that, I leave. There's no point in being somewhere to socialize if you cant hear people talking, and a house party or bar isn't a concert, where the whole point of being there is loud enough to hear.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      I have the Alpine and I find that they dont't protect that much and are not confortable... Maybe they don't fit in my ears properly.

If you want reusable ear plugs I would go for the ear peace HD which I find way more confortable.

A foam ear plugs would be best though as they block much more sound.

Check out this page :

http://bloglocation.com/art/invisible-ear-plugs-concerts-clubs-loud-bars

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      well its a mansion party and there is gonna be two mini stages with djs
      at the patio,
      but there are 40 rooms in the house, i guess ill just stay inside the house and if i get near to the noise just put on my ear plugs. no muffs

13. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      get good plugs and wear them the whole time. I wear plugs even if there are just a lot of peopel talking over eachother. It's amazing how much it helps. Just use a light filter. I can't stress it enough - you should buy good plugs. If you can afford the mansion party, you can afford westtones.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I was wondering how people could hear anyone with all these plugs in. I guess the answer is that they can't. Still wondering why people wear earplugs in the car but I guess that's another question.

15. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have 9, 15, 25, 33 db filters. You can actually hear better with them in. Think about how when you can't hear someone at a concert you stick your finger in your ear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Agree. Muffs are cumbersome. Get some Earplugs. I have used alpine and they're pretty good. If you get the chance get a molded set (they're more expensive and a professional needs to do it for you).

17. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Which model plugs do you have? I've thought about getting a set of those.

18. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I have no idea. Maybe you have to have 2 ears for that to work.

19. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perhaps a better example is how people can hear each other talking at a gun range despite having muffs on and being in a room filled with explosions?

In essence a lot of environmental noise is blocked, but someone talking directly to you can be heard very easily.

I got Westones. They're like 180 dollars? and come with 33 and 15db filters. I purchased the other two sets on amazon.com from them. filter pairs are 70 dollars. For me, this is the best investment I've made in the past year. They're mostly invisible, and I wear them daily, despite any hyperacusis / sensitivity having faded weeks ago. (Train, bars, under my headset when on a conference call, streets of manhattan, etc). I rarely use the 25 db filter. The 9s I use when playing acoustic guitar (if I'm playing aggressively) and the 15's for bars, etc.

I got them from my audiologist. it took 2 weeks.

20. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      • Like Like x 1
    21. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      @Tom Cnyc

I just got my pair of custom filtered westones today....so happy with these!! Its amazing how well you can hear with them. They don't amplify my tinnitus like foam ear plugs do which is a huge plus for me because i spend 2 hours on the train...somehow i was still able to fall asleep on the train even with the tinnitus blazing loud because of the foamies lol..i wish i knew about these before my tinnitus...i don't have the guts to get behind my kit yet, but maybe after a few more months i will give it a shot.

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey Julien,
      well good/bad news...
      when i got there the place where the party was veeeryy small, and the music was around 100 db :/
      so i decided not to stay.... because event that i was wearing the foam plugs that are supposed to have about 29 db reduction. i didnt want to risk it! D: maybe i made a mistake?' maybe not!
      but on sunday i had a great time i went out with my friends to a lot of places and we ended halloween at the movie theater watching old halloween movies.
      so it was nice... but i still feel like a chicken hahah

• Like Like x 1
    23. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Well, better a chicken than cool and deaf. ;P

• Like Like x 2
    24. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      That's a wise choice. It wouldn't have been fun if you had been concerned with the noise all the night.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      @Tom Cnyc

Just curious....when you take the subway do use the 15 db filter or the heavy duty 30?

26. Magik

Magik Member

I have had experience with Alpine's earplugs in the past and I was disappointed. They do not fit the ear that well, they don't filter the frequencies properly, so you can still enjoy the music, though in lower and safer frequency decibels.

For more than a year I switched and started to use Proguard's products. It's a firm based in the UK and I'm more satisfied. I own these - https://www.proguarduk.co.uk/earplugs-group/product/45-proguard-lin-ear-pr20-music-earplug , they come in 2 pieces - regular and a small ones, so you can chose what fits best your ear. They are the cheapest variant, but they are much better than the Alpine counterpart (which I've also used in the past).

These are more expensive (still generic) earplugs: https://www.proguarduk.co.uk/earplugs-group/product/23-progurd-ultra-lin-ear-music-earplugs . Their filter is better, they block the *bad* frequencies more effectively, so you can still enjoy the music.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I use the 15s on the subway. I think 33s are overkill in just about every scenario - it makes it hard to have a conversation. If it's so loud I need 33db filters - it's doubtful I really want to go these days. This has more to do with how I want to spend my time than managing tinnitus btw.

• Like Like x 1