Ear Muffs, Musician Ear Plugs or Custom Fitted??

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bobbie7, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      I ordered Clear Armor Professional Ear Muffs and find they are too tight and hurt my ears and head. I would like to know what most here prefer? I am thinking of the possibility of having custom molded ear plugs made by a hearing aid store near me but I am uncertain about what is best. Some here say ear plugs hurt them while others swear by them while others like ear muffs and have said they like the ones I ordered and received. I just don't know what is best. It seems Con Edison maintenance men are here almost every day jack-hammering and blasting in the street fixing one thing or another and I, who live on the main floor, suffer through it.

I just saw this on Amazon and am curious to know if anyone has bought these?

Etymotic Research ER20 ETY-Plugs Hearing Protection Earplugs, Standard Fit, Clear Stem with Blue Tip (Light Blue)

I also saw Hearos ear plugs and am wondering if some members have used these.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Best wishes.

2. han nah
      Blah

han nah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/ 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound event, high freq hearing loss 2013.
    3. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Bobbie7, you orderd Earmuffs for shooting ranges those are very tight not designed to wear too long
      If you want comfort choose Peltor or Howard Leight. These no brands Chinese muffs off eBay aren't going to be as good as those two brands in terms of comfort and they tend to greatly over spec the NRR numbers - no muff can do 34 the max is the Peltor x5a at 31 and those are huge

4. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015

I own the er20's and the Hearos that you mention. I also have Alpine classics. Out of those I'd say my preference would be the Alpines, er20's and then the Hearos.

If you're going to be using them regularly then I'd still recommend molded ones as they are far more comfortable. I found Hearos are quite large, they give an excellent seal and dramatically reduce the noise levels, good for situations where the decibels are very high. For other situations they are overkill and a bit uncomfortable in my ears.

The Alpines and er20's are very similar, the main difference is the length. The er20's are longer and more uncomfortable in my ear then the Alpines are which is why I prefer those.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      Thank you Ed and to the others for their responses, it is very much appreciated.

Sending good wishes.

6. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      I know this is a little off subject, but does wearing ear plugs for long periods of time damage your hearing? When I wear ear plugs I am so focused on the T that I can't distract my attention elsewhere. How do you wear ear plugs and not focus on it? However, I love when it seems silent when I first take them out. I was wondering if I could wear them for a full day to try to habituate to the louder sound with the ear plugs in or would the be damaging my hearing even more?

7. Lazypugfilms

Lazypugfilms Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My ent said wearing ear plugs for overly long or for things that don't need it may make your reaction to sounds weaken. So like if you wear ear plugs all the day your ear naturally adjusts. I've considered never wearing ear plugs but I'm still afraid of large theaters. Seeing a smaller film in a small theater soon. Considering not using ear plugs for that and see how that feels. I love movies but I doubt any movie is loud enough to cause hearing loss but the fear is real so I know it cause a spike just because of my anxiety of it

It's been adjustment for me, but I think not wearing earphones for music is the only one I feel way better about because I'm kind of sure that is what caused my tinnitus and hearing loss in the first place

8. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      My audiologist told me to wear ear plugs if going to any musical events or action movies. I am still scared to go to the movies. I've been to one, but I made sure to wear ear plugs, but I think also my anxiety of worrying I am damaging my hearing caused my spike.