Ear Pain Caused by Amoxicillin

Discussion in 'Support' started by Patch101, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Patch101
      Grumpy

Patch101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise & Antibiotic mix, yay
      I've had tinnitus for probably 6 years now. The majority of it was caused by a -mycin antibiotic. And in one ear a portion of it was caused by taking a puck to the ear over my helmet 2 years ago (loud). Lucky me. The -mycin aftermath also included some hyperacusis that lasted a few weeks but then disappeared. I didn't have any physical pain, just normal noises hurt such as putting away dishes, rolling a shopping cart on asphalt, etc.

Anyhow, I was now diagnosed with a gum infection. The doctor prescribed Amoxicillin. I wasn't too worried about trying it out as it seems to be fairly safe. However, after the very first dose, about 5 hours later... I started experiencing a constant ear pain in both ears which is sort of new to me. I'm also having a bit of discomfort, like an unpopped ear.

My tinnitus seems fine... so far.

Not sure what to make of this.
      I'm definitely on alert at the moment.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Willie Discus

Willie Discus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Be very careful with all antibiotics! Probably it will go away but ear pain is a sign you are causing damage on your ears!

I took antibiotics for a long time for Lyme disease. It didn’t cure the Lyme but left me with hyperacusis and tinnitus. I would never risk that if I knew what I know now.

But I took several antibiotics for many months so it is not really comparable to taking Amoxicillin for a week or so.

3. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ