Ear Pain from Noise and Hyperacusis with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Andrew M, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Andrew M

Andrew M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise from head set ear phones
      Hi everyone.

I have had this problem for over 4 years.

I have ear pain from noise, driving, running water. I can not listen to music or TV. I have to use closed captioning.

When I drive I wear foam ear plugs, they help with car and road noise but when I get home every sound is real loud and my ears hurt.

I have a hissing in both ears.

When this first started I worked wearing headphones taking phone calls. They could be real soft or real loud. It was hard trying to adjust the volume.

I have been to a lot of ENT. Most don't know why I have ear pain, they just check my hearing, all I am told is you are sensitive to noise, they don't know why I have ear pain.

I have had lots of hearing test and had mild hearing loss in both ears.

The more I drive it hurts and now after another ear test I have a sever hearing loss.

I can't even walk with the ear plugs in, it hurts my ears.

Just like some of the other posts I just want to end it all. I don't want to live some times. ENTs, if they can't see anything wrong, they don't have an answer.

Is there any hope? I have been out of work for a year and half.

• Like Like x 1
    2. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Can you describe the pain? Does it settle on silence?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew M

Andrew M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is a sharp burning pain when there is noise it hurts worse after I drive with ear plugs. I cannot drive with out ear plugs. When there is no noise it is better. I run the AC when it is hot and don't like the noise. My ears are getting worse from noise it is hard to hear. I don't know what to do.

4. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
    5. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      How the pain started? When you go to sleep you dont feel the pain?
      What have you tried? You dont feel your ear cool inside? Pain medications? Therapies?

6. EDogg

EDogg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/27/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Andrew,

Iā€™m sorry to hear about your struggles! A number of us have pain with hyperacusis and it can be a tricky variable to deal with. It sounds like you have been thoroughly evaluated by an ENT. Have you been seen by an audiologist or neuro-otologist who specializes in hyperacusis and tinnitus? If so, did they evaluate you for recruitment, since you mention the hearing loss?

Best,
      EDogg

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew M

Andrew M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I used to go to clubs and listen to band play back in the 1990's also went to classic rock concerts in mid 1980's and also went to two rock concerts in the mid 2000s' my ears might of hurt for a day and then I would be fine. My pain started from waring head phones at work for about 6 years it did not start for about 2 years one call would be real soft an one all would be load that is when I started having ear pain it also hurts to drive even with ear plugs. It was getting better with no noise at home then I watched a movie the kept getting real soft when they talked and loud when there was action I tried to adjust the volume but should have stopped watching the movie but did not.

I have been to my ENT I was told I have auditory recruitment at first my hearing loss was mild but my last hearing test my hearing loss is more sever. It get worse every time I drive or if I have to go out side I cannot walk with the ear plugs in it hearts my ears to walk. I was seeing my audiologist I have Wide X hearing aids they have a programs to make different sounds to help with the tinnitus it was working but when my ears started hearting a lot more I was told to stop the sounds until my ears stopped hearting. All the ENT's I have seen just focus on my hearing loss they don't know what to do about the pain because they don't see anything wrong in my ears. I don't use the hearing aids because I don't listen to TV or music just close caption on the TV. Also I am in USA Southern California. I would ware the hearing aids if I had no pain I could dial with my hearing loss.

I Tried Phenytoin it is used tp prevent and control seizures but my primary doctor said it can help with nerve damage in the ears I don't think it was helping and I got leg cramps and had to stop it. I saw in another thread some one asked about Prednisone I take it for joint pain but it did nothing for my ears. I have never been told what to do for my ear pain.

8. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
    9. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Try this
      https://www.orindachiropractic.com/contact-us/
      They have mls6 laser and craniotherapy. You can ask how they can help you.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew M

Andrew M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you 1000 member but it is 364 miles away to far to drive and cannot fly. I am in southern California.

11. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      bottom line there needs to be more bio-medical research to understand the mechanisms of hyperacusis with pain to get people help. we are living in dark times when unmet medical needs cause people chronic suffering.

12. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Contrast,

Apolonia had hyperacusis with pain and it's gone now.

There's many others as well who had it for a year or over 2 years and now it's gone.

You surely will see improvements, I hope so. Try to get some supplements like Magnesium and have some hope.

13. Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fridge, computer fans and lots of annoying sounds and stress
      Anyone else with the same succes as apolonia with magnesium imrpoving matters?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      @yonkapin

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew M

Andrew M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    16. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      • Informative Informative x 1
    17. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      ENT's not knowing about hyperacusis being related to cochlear damage are just as bad as the tonaki tinnitus scammers.

• Like Like x 1