Ear Spasms — TTTS (Tensor Tympani Syndrome) or Psychosomatic?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MusicTeacher, Feb 26, 2020.

1. MusicTeacher

MusicTeacher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rehearsals/Meds
      Hey gang,

My tinnitus and hyperacusis seem to be all over the place lately. Today I’m feeling an ear spasm (sort of inner ear) which is weird because I’ve felt this before, but not since having tinnitus and hyperacusis. I remember getting this years ago, during conversations with people who had harsh voices (weird, I know).

My search is coming up with this - Tensor tympani syndrome? Psychosomatic?
      So... it’s all in my head? Lol.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
      And why can’t I just keep my progress without regressing? I hate you, tinnitus.

Best
      Tom

Sorry for all the questions.

2. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hello Tom. I don’t have any answers for you but I just wanted to mention I’ve been experiencing the same thing.

Whether it’s all anxiety or my hyperacusis, I have no idea but in the last 3 weeks or so this has happened to me twice. My spasms don’t seem to react immediately to noise, but both “events” followed days where I was exposed to moderate sounds. One was having some friends over at my house for wine and snacks, and the other after going to a sushi restaurant with my mom that got loud in volume right before we left. Both times, I woke up with the spasms in my ear the next day.

The only other thing the two events have in common was me consuming a ton of salty food but I don’t think that could possibly be the cause.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MusicTeacher

MusicTeacher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rehearsals/Meds
      Hmmm... thanks for reaching out. Spasms seem to be gone today. Just my lovely T. I’m having a jump in activity this week- spasms, T and H are up and moving around. I’m wondering if it’s because I went a little crazy this past weekend with chocolate, ice cream, sugar, etc. Guess I’ll stay away from that stuff and see if things calm down.

Best
      Tom