Earbuds/Plugs and Hyperacusis/Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Srebint, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Srebint

Srebint Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2016 (hyperacusis)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive listening to intense music with high-end equipment
      I developed a case of hyperacusis in August of last year due to excess listening to music loud music with high-end audio equipment on headphones. It's been mild most of the time, but very slow to improve, and I haven't really made any effort until recently to look into or attempt treatment. A little over a week ago though, I made a mistake that ended up exacerbating it to severity it's never been before, all sorts of mild, unremarkable sounds irritate it and intensify it, and the tinnitus has gotten worse too (which I've always had a very mild case of), but it's still a mild irritant- it's secondary to the hyperacusis.

I've been wearing yellow foam earplugs when I go to the gym, but since this bothers me throughout the day, I went and bought some Mack's Ear Seals. These do absolutely lessen general noise and seem to reduce irritation from slight, high-pitched (yet nonetheless irritating) noises, but I'm wondering just how effective they are and if they're causing irritation in other ways. They cause me to feel the vibrations of noise much more and these seems to irritate me in other ways. I ended up opting for regular yellow foam plugs at the gym because of this. Even when not at the gym though, there's an uneasy feeling of pressure that comes with wearing such tight earplugs, and I wonder if it's also somehow directly focusing the noise that I hear in a way that could be harmful (and the noise causing the plugs to vibrate.) They're also not terribly comfortable and seem to cause soreness as time wears on, and I'm wondering if this, too, could cause internal issues.

And of course, I hear the tinnitus unlike ever before. Are there risks from tinnitus being made too noticeable like this? And of course, risks from wearing earplugs like this, even though my hyperacusis has gotten this bad? Could I at all expect this to really help?

Obviously I know not to wear these to bed.

2. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Wearing earplugs might be good to dull the intensity of loud sounds but the brain perceives reduced peripheral input and increases its own gain - aka tinnitus

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Srebint

I am an Audiophile like you and used to listen to music through high-end Headphones many years ago that eventually gave me tinnitus. I haven't used headphones in 21 years and advise you to stop using them if you want your tinnitus and hypercusis to improve and not get worse. I also advise that you don't use earplugs too often. Please click on the link below and read my posts on tinnitus and hyperacsusis that you might find helpful.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Srebint

Srebint Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2016 (hyperacusis)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive listening to intense music with high-end equipment
      Since I wrote the post I've decided that wearing yellow foam plus is the best choice, I'm not sure about when I go out (as they'll be noticeable and unsightly), but around the house and at the gym they're great. I still hear plenty and suffer few of the irritations I've had with this temporary threshold increase. And I in no way intend to wear earplugs as a long-term solution for my hyperacusis/tinnitus, only as a way to deal with this, because it's been effecting me throughout the day and can get kind of debilitating.

Still wondering what people think of this recent exacerbation (which began here: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ble-professional-treatment.24373/#post-281778) and anything to do about it, and if wearing earplugs like I am can really help. But I don't know what else could.

And Michael, I have read your first thread already- though not your second. I would like to further discuss this with you, but PMing seems to be off limits to me.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced