Eardrums Vibrating and Reacting to Sound

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheFriendlyGhost, Oct 3, 2022.

1. TheFriendlyGhost
      Worried

TheFriendlyGhost Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concerts and headphones). Ear infection?
      Hi,

I have had tinnitus and hyperacusis for 4 years. During the first year of tinnitus I also developed problems with my eardrums vibrating when I heard sounds. Especially certain sounds (e.g., paper crumpling, running water in the sink/shower). If I were in a quiet room I could only hear the eardrum vibrating (vibrating very quickly) if I covered my ears.

About a year ago I woke up one day and suddenly I had no problem or very little problem with my eardrum vibrating. For about a year I haven't thought about this at all until 2 days ago when a 2-year-old screamed very loud close to me. Ever since then I've had all my symptoms back with my eardrums vibrating. It's very frustrating because they react to a lot of sounds. If I'm covering my ears I can hear the eardrums vibrating like crazy.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks in advance!

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      I think in certain cases they can cut the muscle but then your ears don’t naturally lower volumes, so I’m not sure, but I think it’s an option.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheFriendlyGhost
      Worried

TheFriendlyGhost Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have also read something about that. But it really is the last way out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I get this after a noise trauma. I can feel them vibrating to a fridge-freezer or low continuous sound. I also get the drumming and clicking feeling.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheFriendlyGhost
      Worried

TheFriendlyGhost Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How long does it take for you before it goes away? If it does. I have seen a slight improvement now, but it took about 3 years for it to go away completely last time...

6. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Well I had a flare after a virus some 8 months ago but what caused the above symptoms was a clear acoustic trauma 10 days later. It is a well established reaction to the middle ear muscles being hyper mobile. This was backed up by a test that showed hypermobility in both ears. All came together. Other than surgical options, the ENT at Harley Street prescribes Clonazepam.