Early Tinnitus Treatment

Discussion in 'Support' started by Agrajag364, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello all,

I'm looking for advice from experienced well read sufferers on any possible early treatment of tinnitus. Sorry for double posting if that's not allowed. I got some hearing loss in one ear about 6 weeks ago along with a sensation of blockage. This was diagnosed as Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and seemed to improve with a steroid nasal spray. After swimming it returned with a vengeance and I was struggling to hear what people said. No tinnitus at all however. I thought this needed checked out again with a GP so returned to see another one who had a quick look in my ears and thought the deaf one might be infected. She gave me some amoxcillin. I actually asked if it could cause tinnitus as a colleague had mentioned she's sustained hearing loss and tinnitus after antibiotic treatment. Was told no. One day after taking it I get loud tinnitus in the partly deaf ear. I suspect the amoxicillin might have precipitated this though obviously cannot be sure

It has only been 5 days but I am so scared I can't put it into words. I am a very old hand at coming to terms with chronic health problems as I have a whole raft of them. I KNOW ALL about the journey you go on from despair to acceptance. The problem is I have so much physical suffering already I fear if this one also becomes permanent it will push me over the edge. I'm already in severe chronic pain and discomfort and near the edge (which probably helped precipitate the tinnitus also I realise). I can't do that journey again. I realise it's only been 5 days and I may yet be someone who only has it temporarily, but this is horrendous, I don't know how you all deal. I can hear my tinnitus over traffic and can't sleep.

From what I knew of tinnitus already there are really no effective treatments and most people just have to learn to accept it. But I've seen one or two mentions of very early treatment of tinnitus being more likely to be effective, possibly by treatment with a steroid? Has anyone heard about anything like this?

In addition, has anyone heard of tinnitus associated with hearing loss or eustachian tube dysfunction remitting, possibly with treatment?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Scared111

Scared111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      if you have sudden hearing loss, you need to get on steroids asap. that might help the hearing loss along with the tinnitus

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Next time, you can use:

Attached Files:

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    6. Polaris

Polaris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How soon is it effective? It's hard to get ENT appointments in the UK and sometimes they take months and the doctors here don't actually have any training I'm ears besides the basics.

7. Codaz

Codaz Member

If you get a referral yourself it's easily a couple of weeks. If referred by a GP it's 4-5 days. If on ER it's even earlier.