Earplugs Causing Vertigo/Dizziness

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      I recently started wearing a more tightly fitting form of earplugs. After wearing them for only minutes, my hearing starts fading in and out and I get a see-saw type of dizziness. In addition, I feel like I am on the verge of falling over or passing out. Can the pressure the earplugs place on the outer ear do this?

I should also note that I have hydrops and vascular issues with my ears, so I am wondering if the added pressure from the earplugs aggravates either problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. MrLowBot
      Alienated

MrLowBot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music (loud noise)
      Hi man.

I can really relate.
      I 've the same problem, but i don't do anything about it.
      I also have this cracking sound everytime i yawn or eat.

I spoke about the problem with some doctors. They all said the
      same thing, "stop using air tight earphones and start creating a pressure
      to stable your ears again so the crack sound goes away". They also told me that
      i would get very dizzy if i didn't follow thru. And i haven't. Yet.

All i have to do is to blow out of my nose while holding it to make the
      air push out from the inside to my eardrums. (Not to hard).

In your case, i would say to chill with those earplugs. I myself listen to music
      on my pc and phone all the time with youtube and twitch aswell. But i keep it
      very low having my T. I keep my sound at 4% on my pc, that still doesn't make
      any really differens in the long run, but i like to think that.

Hope you make it, good luck!

• Creative Creative x 1
    3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      For me earplugs seem to alter the eardrum pressure after extended use, not like 5 min use but more like when I use plugs for an hour or more.

Also, after being exposed to noise, this effect is exacerbated. If I use earplugs the next day, I can feel the pressure more obviously after removing them. The ideal thing is not to use plugs, but sometimes one has to choose between two bad situations: accidental noise exposure or pressure of plugs.

If you feel dizziness frequently after using earplugs I would recommend to change the brand you are using, or to use earmuffs instead if you can, or to rest for a few days trying not to use earplugs (maybe weekend at home). As you see, no good solutions at any rate...

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      If you feel dizzy and your hearing playing up with ear buds in I would keep off using them especially if have hydrops also to protect your ears from any more damage....lots of love glynis