Earplugs Information — Is Wearing Them for the Majority of the Day Okay?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hex, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Hex
      Thinking

Hex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Hydrops
      Hey guys,

I am wondering if wearing earplugs for the majority of the day is okay? I am very sensitive to sound at the moment since I developed tinnitus about 6 days ago and the non stop ringing has not gone away.

Earplugs have helped me tone down the ringing sound as well as the hyper sensitivity I have to sound in my ears. I believe I have hyperacusis since the majority of sounds hurt my ears.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Hex,
      Try to reduce the time wearing them around sounds you are ok with and build up on that so your ears don't stay supper sensitive.
      If you work in a work place needing to wear them as so loud that would have to be a must.
      It's really early days for you so try to build up time with problem sounds at your own pace.
      love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hex
      Thinking

Hex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Hydrops
      @glynis
      Thank you so much for your response Glynis. I really appreciate all the help I've been reading.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      No, they are rather harmful. Try not to focus on them and only wear them if sound gets unbearable to you.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      No absolutely not. That's the most common mistake people with hyperacusis make, If you over protect your hearing via ear plugs 24/7 the brain will increase it's hearing gain to listen harder and as a result louder tinnitus and worse hyperacusis. If you rebuild your sound tolerance like @glynis and @Michael Leigh suggest using sound therapy, white noise, color noise, nature sounds, it will help reduce the effect of painful hyperacusis and even may slightly help tinnitus.

This problem of over protection is so common with people who have hyperacusis that it should be pinned to a faq on the website about managing painful hyperacusis and common mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hex
      Thinking

Hex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Hydrops
      @Contrast Thank you for your reply. I only wear them when I'm outside and when family are washing dishes/cooking. I've been going outside lately to the park to go on walks or play with my younger brother and it really helps to get it off my mind. The problem is that whenever I go outside I have to wear them because the sound is unbearable.

• Agree Agree x 1