Earplugs / Muffs Give Very Little Protection

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hopeful1, May 15, 2017.

1. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Hearing Protection

All the people who think they can go to concerts/discos with ear protection .... think again ....watch this video.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      uhh not a post I wanted to see today, I just had an MRI today with 2x 33 NNR earmuff + plugs and it was still a bit loud. I wonder what the actual combination of the two are in reality maybe 17.75 + 9.5 = 27.25?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Its 17.75 + 7.5 you simply don't add the 2, the 2nd layer gives 5 to 10 extra protection.

But 25db means sound is 8 times lower than without protection.

4. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      You can still go to concerts even with 15 db protection. A concert isn't 8 hours long.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I hope that I can improve the seal made by my Peltor earmuffs by using my hands to press the cups of the earmuffs closer to my head.

Thank you for the link to the video clip! I didn't know that the seal made by a foam earplug can be improved by straightening the ear canal by pulling up and back on the ear, followed by holding the earplug in place as it expands.

By the way, the summary of this clip takes place 10 minutes and 56 seconds in.

6. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sigh, my ear canals are very large and it makes getting a good seal with earplugs difficult. I have to work around loud noises too.

This explains why some things still sound loud to me even when doubling up on protection.

I do test my earplugs when I insert them by quickly rubbing two fingers together right next to my ear. If I can't hear it, or can barely hear it, I know I have a good seal. (I have no hearing loss in that range so it may not be helpful for others.)

7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Coming from the OSHA website:

https://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/new_noise/index.html#attenuation

• Useful Useful x 2
    8. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Now I'm reading more and more about how earplugs may not/don't work as they should. Guess this is why my volume has turned up to a screeching electrical sound. How do you live and get better with this horrible f-ing problem? I feel so done omg how is this happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      T might be a life long condition for many people. But it is my understanding that if you wait months, your T will get quieter (and at the same time most people habituate and find it easier to ignore). So the horrible sound you might be hearing now is most likely NOT the sound you will end up living with, even if you end up being one of the people who don't recover.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The above summarizes how I have been feeling on many of the days during the past four months...

You are lucky that you are a teacher. Soon, you will be able to rest your ears until September. Hopefully you will feel better by September. Unfortunately, your summer vacation will be affected by T...

11. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Thank you, I really hope that's the case. I'm going to spend the summer in quiet... now if I could just get through this week. I'm still debating over whether I should not go in these last days.
      I actually made an ENT appoint for tomorrow though out of desperation but I know he's not going to be able to help.

12. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Yes, it's like a surreal nightmare that's ruling over my life. I wonder how, if I'll be able to do so many things that I've enjoyed before. I'm finding the work prospect frightening, especially after realizing hearing protection may not be all that it's cracked up to be (and as i'm finding from first hand experience.)

I hope you're doing better.

13. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Many people that suffer noise trauma to the their auditory system experience a similar thing to what you're going through. I had very severe noise trauma. Earplugs have their uses but unfortunately will not give protection for this sort of condition. If one isn't careful when using them, the situation could become worse. The good news is that most people will recover from noise trauma but it takes time and might require professional treatment at an Audiology clinic.

14. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Why don't you invest in premolds?

15. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have them with max reduction, but they aren't as comfortable as you might think, and I hate talking with them in.

• Useful Useful x 1
    16. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      it took me a few months to get used to talking with them in. it's totally fine after a while. I found them a bit "stiff' at first but they've "broken in" nicely. by which I mean my ear canal likely has broken in a bit. eithe rway its a great seal and WGAF

17. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I can talk with foam earplugs in even though my voice sounds a lot louder. Talking with my custom molded earplugs is painful. It makes my voice much louder, and in the environment where I would be need to be wearing them in the first place I would have to raise my voice as well.

18. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I loathe wearing earplugs. I have foam and two types of musician plugs. They all drive me crazy because I feel like with less outside sounds coming in, my tinnitus is the only thing I can hear. Is it like that for everyone?

I also have tiny ear canals (every audiologist has commented on that) and it doesn't take long for my ears to feel sore and hurt from earplugs. Once I remove the plugs, my ears continue to feel irritated.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    19. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Same.

Same.

My plugs are often uncomfortable, provide too little/too much attenuation (depending on a situation), they change colour to yellow from minimal amounts of earwax, they make my ears feel irritated even after removing them.

Also, my earplugs allow me to leave the house and enjoy life.

I love my earplugs, they are the best thing in the world.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I also had an audiologist comment that my ear canals are unusually narrow. My favorite brand of earplugs is
      https://www.amazon.com/3M-1100-Foam-Plugs-200-Pair/dp/B008MVYL7C/

I find them comfortable, and they work well.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Glad to know I'm not the only one! Despite my dislike, I absolutely use them when necessary. It initially upset me that I even had to bother with them, but really more people probably should at loud events.

22. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Thanks for the recommendation! At an MRI the radiologist gave me a handful of child-sized bright yellow foam earplugs. They work well, but I'm running out of my stash so I use those sparingly.

23. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      maybe I'm "lucky". my tinnitus is high pitched enough that the volume stays the same with them in. I actually tend to feel better plugged oddly.

24. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks for mentioning this. I am trying to "practice" with foam ones before my MRI. It isn't working. Now my ears hurt and I could not get the things in right. Didn't even think they might have child sized ones. I hope so because I don't have time to order any. At least now I dont feel that I'm just being overly sensitive.

25. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Maybe ask the radiology tech to help you. I've had a few help me over the years and they did a better job than I could.

Oh my goodness, and I just remembered that Wal-Mart carries some child-sized and women's sized ones. I prefer using the MRI facilities' ear plugs during an MRI because I think they're better quality (at least at the ones I've been to). Good luck!

26. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks! I'm trying not to be stressed (really) and was feeling like an idiot for not even being able to get ear plugs in right. I'm hoping they are good about this at the MRI place because I sure am not.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      i dont get it....just go custom. i luv my custom fitted musician plugs....went in the subway everyday from september to april and had no issues. I hear conversations fine. I have also no increases in my T or crazy spikes. If anything my hyperacusis has gotten better because i was able to still expose my ears to the sounds at a more comfortable level instead of blocking them completely out.

28. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hi rain, what problems are you having with inserting the earplugs properly?

29. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I think either my ear canal is small or the foam plugs are too large. I watched a video how to insert them properly but they just weren't going in easily. I couldn't seem to get a good seal and then my ears started hurting. I was wondering if I could be allergic to them but it seems others mentioned finding it uncomfortable. I don't like them and havent tried foam in ages. The ones I tried before were the useless plastic ones. I'm also afraid I'll push them in too far. (Way overthinking this I know).

30. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      The few times I've had my ears looked into I've been told the canal is super small. I have one heck of a time finding ear buds. Let alone earplugs that work right for me.

I'm tempted to get custom ear plugs made, especially for all the power tools I use. When I'm sawing they don't help, I actually think it amplifies the noise.