Earwax Is Seriously Giving Me Problems

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hariz Nonis, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am going through a blocked right ear right now. Now thanks to earwax, it is so bad that I can almost hear nothing at times.

I took a picture, and saw that the wax is literally filling up my ear canal. I used olive oil on Saturday night, which actually might have made it worse and become the way it is now, because my brother might have applied too many drops.

Thankfully, if I move my ear lobe around, the wax seems to follow, and my ear becomes less blocked. That lasts for a short while though, as the wax will then fill up my ear canal once again. It's to the point where I actually heard a new sound within my ear, a medium pitch kind of hum. That scared me a lot, and I really hope it was just fleeting T.

Should I go ahead with applying more olive oil? I am seriously unsure right now.

Has anyone with an ear blocked by wax used olive oil or any drops with success? I feel like trying to reduce the blockage by softening the wax, but I don't know if it'll work or make things worse....

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Use olive oil drops regular once or twice a week to keep your ear wax at bay...try to resist poking them and let the wax come out itself...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Cant you goto a doctor or ENT and get it scraped out

• Like Like x 1
    4. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Yea, let a doctor scrape it out. I wouldnt let him flush it, but scraping should be ok.
      Any idea why your ears are making this much wax?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have no idea why my ears are making so much wax. I got my right ear cleaned barely two months ago. Even the doctor was surprised when I told him. I booked an appointment to get my ears irrigated a month from now. Until then, I'll be applying olive oil. Is scraping the same as using an ear curette?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ohhh you have no idea how much I just want to put my finger into my ear to scrape out the wax. I'm trying my best though, hopefully everything will be ok.

7. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      What if you have a bath and stick your ears in the water for quite a while. Should soften things up pretty good.

8. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      I use a soft bulb and wax dissolving drops every now and then. Never tried olive oil but this and flushing your own ears out slowly with a soft bulb in warm water. You can usually purchase one of these bulbs at most drug stores. Ask the pharmacist. Fill your bathroom sink up part way with warm water, insert the bulb abd squeeze out the air and let the water go into the bulb. Stick it in the ear just a bit and begin flushing. Squeeze out the water as much as you can but not too hard it becomes uncomfortable. You would be shocked sometimes what little pieces of wax end up in your sink.

I remember as a kid I had to go to a doctor for ear wax. That doctor flushed out my ears so hard I was in pain for a week. I'd rather do my own flushing thank you very much!!

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not really a fan of filling my ears up with water. My ETD started after I went for a swim.

10. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea sometimes swimming can be hard on the ears. Especially if you dive in and force water into the ear quickly. However, the 1st 9 months while your embryo was becoming you, your ears were totally filled up with water and fluids!! Just have to be careful about PRESSURE!! It's not the water, but the pressure on the middle ear that hurts. Unless of course the water there is horribly dirty and infected!!

Id rather do my own soft bulb flush than have a doctor THINK he asserting the correct amount of pressure. Sometimes if you have chronic ear wax like I used too when I was young (dunno why) yea just gotta flush once in awhile. Rather do my own as I know if I am hurting myself with the pressure I use. Q-tips are fine for the beginning of the ear, but we tend to stick em in a little further to get more goop, and actually end up just pushing more wax deeper into the ear!! Sooner or later your going to block that puppy if you make a lot of wax! Even doing the flush you get a blocked feeling for awhile when the rest of the water left in the ear is evaporating and draining. Usually a few hours later it's gone and dried out. Might be sensitive for a couple days after but hey, no more wax!! Your good to go for awhile again.

• Like Like x 1
    11. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I also don't mind having an ENT use a pick to get out the wax. Even a good audiologist can do a good job at picking out wax. What ever works best for yea I suppose!

• Like Like x 1
    12. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Be very, very careful about syringing your own ears. Several people on this forum got their tinnitus, or made their exisiing T worse, with syringing. Actually, sticking anything small deep inside your ear canal (including a Q tip) can lead to damage or an ear drum perforation. Doctors will tell you: Don't stick anything bigger than your finger in your ear.

Serious wax build-up is a job for an ENT, in my opinion. Some people generate lots of wax for no particular medical reason. I am one of them. I have had routine maintenance appointments for wax removal since I can remember. The key is to keep ahead of the build up. Once you get so much that it leads in an impaction, it can be tough for even a doc to get it out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. RAY
      Lurking

RAY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus in left ear
      Hi when your wax has been removed then you could try Sodium bicarbonate ear drops two drops in each ear once a week and no more problems, I had a massive problem myself a couple of years ago but ENT told me to use these drops and I can only say I have had no problems to date hope this helps (y)

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've only been using olive oil. I'm not sure if I can get the drops you use, but I'll try them if I can.