Electricity

Discussion in 'Support' started by NineNails, May 3, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. NineNails

NineNails Member

Why is nobody experimenting with electricity?

It's known that electricity directly applied to the cochlea or inside it (cochlea implant) can temporarily nullify T.
      The cochlea is linked to the ossicles, the ossicles are linked to the tympanic membrane. So.. why not sending a current through the eardrums, ossicles.. and see what happens?

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      I believe there are threads here on cold laser w micro-current stimulation.

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      If you want to zap your hearing apparatus, I commend you and look forward to reading your trip report.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. NineNails

NineNails Member

First off, I doubt that lasers can do anything for T but current stimulation that sounds promising.

Where to get such equipment?

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      @NineNails are you referring to a TENS unit? I want to train myself to stop listening to my tinnitus. I wonder if I shock myself every time I focus on it, if that would stop me from focusing on it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. NineNails

NineNails Member

@Ears Hurt ,

Yes!

*TENS stands for (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation). which are predominately used for nerve related pain conditions (acute and chronic conditions). TENS machines works by sending stimulating pulses across the surface of the skin and along the nerve strands.

That sounds hilarious and promising. Anybody interested in a trial? We could conduct our own study.

7. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @NineNails I have a TENS unit and I have been using it, but I haven't noticed any changes from it. Yes, it helps short term, but not long term.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. NineNails

NineNails Member

How do you apply it? Please explain.

9. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I put the simulation pads in front of my ears and on my neck in back of my ears. The unit I have has 4 simulation pads. Most only have 2. It also has 3 different pulse settings, so I adjust those from time to time. It does calm the t down at times.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. NineNails

NineNails Member

Interesting. But wouldn't it be more prudent and effective to put these pads/cables? inside the ear so to reach the tympanic membrane as close as possible?

Also, what are the current settings? Can you adjust it step by step? I mean, you don't want to cause any long-term damage. It's definitely a trial and error game till you find the best setting (strength of current, duration and contact area) for your individual T.

11. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @NineNails you cant place the pads inside the ear. The pads are too large. The current does transfer through to the ear. You can feel it.

The current setting can be raised or lowered by an adjustable dial. It raises and lowers the electrical current. I start at the lowest level and increase it slightly to a comfortable level. The pulse can be adjusted too. It can send slow pulses of electric current or fast pasted current. I adjust these as well. The unit shuts off automatically after 15 minutes.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      As lasers reverse restricted bloodflow I would not rule them out in some cases - especially pulsatile etc.

13. NineNails

NineNails Member

Very well, adjustable dial that sounds good so far.
      Perhaps cutting the pads can make them fit inside the ear canal?
      As you said, it does calm your T down; at times. Hence there is some efficacy to this method! Splendid!
      I think, getting closer to the cochlea might increase the effectiveness.

How much power has the electrical current. And does the device have a battery?

14. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You can purchase a TENS unit from Amazon.com. I don't think it is wise to cut on the pads because the pads cover the electrical wires that come in contact with the skin. I do know they came in different sizes, but I still don't think they sell them at that small of a size. In addition, I don't think you would want that much current near your ears. You can feel it enough from the outside of your ear. It penetrates into the deep tissue.

It does use a 9 volt battery. The unit is adjustable, so I don't know how high the current goes, but I haven't had it up all the way.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. NineNails

NineNails Member

Cool. Though, I don't understand the Pulse Rate and Width. Can you explain? I just know voltage.

"Pulse Rate adjustable from 2 to 150 Hz. Pulse Width adjustable from 30 to 260 microseconds."

16. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The pulse width is how wide each pulse is. "It’s measured in extremely small intervals called microseconds. The Pulse Width on T.E.N.S. devices usually range from 1-250uS. Generally speaking, the higher the pulse width, the more “aggressive” the stimulation feels, and eventually, if the pulse width is set high enough, it will usually elicit a muscle contraction, which is typically not the desired result with a T.E.N.S. However, if the pulse width is too low, the patient may not perceive the stimulation."

The pulse rate is pulses per second. "Pulse Rate is important because different frequency settings target different nerve groups and the setting will determine if the “Gate Theory” or “Endorphin Theory” of T.E.N.S. will be used."

http://www.electrotherapy.org/modality/transcutaneous-electrical-nerve-stimulation-tens

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I've used the TENS device also and got nothing,applied it to my face near my ears and all I got was the face of a stroke victim.

• Funny Funny x 3
    18. NineNails

NineNails Member

@Ears Hurt ,

Thank you. :)

@bill 112 ,

You gotta put the electrodes as close to the cochlea as possible. Just stuff 'em in your ears deep. Very deep.

19. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I might try it again sometime,just weary of putting it too close and frying what's left of my cochlea:hungry:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    20. NineNails

NineNails Member

All we can do is trial.

I actually dreamed about it last night. I played with this device, cables in ear touching the tympanic membrane and my T suddenly changed and stopped! Then I wrote about it here. People began to copy my method of cochlea electrocution and their T stopped as well. After that, I was awarded the Nobel prize of science for the cure of T. Damn! It all felt so real -- until the very moment I woke up to this fu*king screaming mess.

21. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The best placement has been on the tragus of the ear or as close to that as possible and just behind the ear lobe. The current goes into the tissue. Just start on the lowest setting.

• Like Like x 1
    22. NineNails

NineNails Member

048%20External%20ear.jpg

23. mandi
      Wishful

mandi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      @bill 112 You are very funny! Amidst the misery talk of tinnitus, it was great to get some huge laughs...
      imagining us putting electric wires as deep as we can into our cochleas...are we that desperate?
      and you "came out with the face of a stroke victim". and then you "didn't want to fry what was left
      of your cochlea"... Great comic relief.,..thank you! :LOL::joyful::ROFL:
      :thankyousign:

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1