Electrostress from Computers and Laptops — Is There a Remedy?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by alli_mac, Jul 26, 2018.

1. alli_mac
      Stressed

alli_mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly hereditary
      Hello everyone!

I'm new to this website but I'm glad I've found it. I've had tinnitus since I was 19, but I've sort of gotten used to it. Sometimes I give into stress of it but primarily I just ignore it. This took a lot of training, but I did it. So anyway, I started a desk job back in March. We use HP laptops hooked to a dock with two monitors. We moved around a lot and now I'm at desk #4. Starting Monday, I started hearing this random high-pitched noise that would come and go. My initial thought was, oh great, a new ringing noise (because mine have changed over time). But a few would come, last a couple seconds, then stop. I became quite stressed with this and decided to sit in the lunchroom for a bit. The noise didn't come back, and I tested this theory a few more times when I discovered that it only happened around my computer. I asked a non-tinnitus friend if she could hear it and she couldn't hear it.

I did some research (and found this forum) and discovered that people with tinnitus are more sensitive to to EMFs. But it's weird that after 4 months it's just started happening, and it's not constant. I should mention that my tinnitus has gotten worse recently, which I believe is the result of bad sinus pressure and summer allergies (I'm allergic to grass and am currently seeing an allergist for it), but this is just adding to the stress. Has anyone had this issue and found a solution? I found this pendant (they also have a plug-in_ that's supposed to protect you from EMFs, but it's super expensive and something that I don't want to invest in unless I know it works. See the link below!

Thanks for any and all advice given :)

https://www.safespaceprotection.com/product/safespace-ii/

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Did you see any scientific study that stated this?

I'm asking because the studies I perused indicate the opposite:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21982030 covers 1375 subjects and concludes "In this first cohort study using objective and well-validated RF-EMF exposure measures, we did not observe an association between RF-EMF exposure and non-specific symptoms or tinnitus."

And this one here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19325894 concludes that T is due to "subjective electromagnetic hypersensitivity", ie people who believe that they are hypersensitive will be more likely to feel affected by T.

I doubt the pendant you linked to is going to help you at all. It's $108! Perhaps consider donating it to T research.

3. HighleyTall
      In pain

HighleyTall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      monitor noise trauma at gig
      Because my tinnitus has worsened recently and i got wierd sensations around my right eye i also thought this might be related to electromagnetic fields coming from computers, wifi routers etc. I work in a home office and all this equipment is positioned to the right of my head. Computer, routers etc... So i even rented measuring equipment
      and was shocked how much equipment is beaming electromagnetic waves in my home and office. So i shut down all WIFI routers and switched to cables (Desktop PC's also beam WIFI!). However this means i can't use wifi for ipad and iphone anymore. Now all radiation is almost gone, only when i aim the meter at the windows to the outside i get some lower readings, possible from neighbours routers etc.
      However i don't think there is a relationship to my tinnitus or the sensations on my left eye, because they are still there. Eventually i got a rip in my retina of the left eye after shutting down all WIFI.
      However i still keep everything radiation free here because i read some studies about it and conclusions where certainly not positive.

This guy uses the same meter and build a cage to sleep radiation free:
      Kooi van Faraday meting met Gigahertz...

You can see how much radiation is coming from the wifi antenna's outside his home!

https://magdahavas.com/rats-using-cell-phones-are-developing-tumours/

4. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      You can get some really effective and cheap EMF devices to measure this. I have one as I thought the new house I am living in may have cause my T. I am <200 feet from electrical wires in my backyard. The readings did not show me much....

5. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @alli_mac There may be something to your concern, or at least I can tell you part of my experience. My T goes way up when I visit one particular client who has an office loaded with pcs and large-screen tv's. I've measured their ambient sound levels and it is not an audio cause. But in general, RF from pc's and wifi are way up in the gHz range and shouldn't be affecting our ears per se, but perhaps there are affects on our brain in some way.

I'll check those studies @GregCA mentioned. But in my case for the psychological cause, I never expect an affect (I expect quiet everywhere, if anything...) from that office but notice it 20 minutes after I arrive.