Embarrassing Question... Can Ototoxic Meds Pass Through Semen?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Natalie Roberts, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      So, I've been wondering something for quite a while now but have thought it was slightly irrational and embarrassing to ask but I feel pretty safe here so I'm just going to ask. Since the onset of T, I have literally gone over every possibility that could have caused this for myself including medications I was exposed to prior to developing T, stress etc. I do not want to risk exposing myself to anything that could be causing or making this worse. One thing I was wondering (this is the embarrassing part) is could a mediation that is listed as ototoxic (Lipitor) that my boyfriend consumes have ototoxic qualities to me? As a breastfeeding mother I know that many medications pass through breastmilk so wouldn't the same be said for medication to pass to other bodily fluids like semen?

Obviously the dosage passed to breastmilk in medication is extremely low as your body has already metabolized a good portion of the drug so I would assume medication passed in other fluids would also be low. I also couldn't find anything about tinnitus on the list of Lipitor's side effects on drugs.com but it is listed as an ototoxic medication on other websites..

Like I said, I've gone over every possible cause for myself and one thing that I always slightly questioned (before telling myself I was crazy and brushing it off) was the possibility that my boyfriend's medication could have caused an adverse affect in myself after exposure. The T did start after he started the medication. We don't have sex a lot anyway since I'm very pregnant and uncomfortable but its just a weird idea my OCD brain cannot shake.

You all can start laughing now as this is probably the most ridiculous post you've ever read..o_O

I'm overanalyzing and being crazy right? Okay. Just wanted another opinion :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      No. You're more likely to be exposed to ototoxic drugs through the water you drink if you get your water from a municipal system. They're never able to remove 100% of drugs that people either excrete through bodily fluids or flush down their toilets.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=87742

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your response! Seems like others agree with you as well! Just something I've been wondering for awhile.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Natalie,
      Love your profile picture with your two daughters....lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      You are quite right Cheza. This is now being acknowledged as a major issue. The problem extends to all kinds of drugs, notably psycho-active drugs like anti-depressants.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The amount of pharmaceuticals in most water supplies is trace, tiny paets-per-billion quantities. I worry more about heavy metals and petrochem.

That said, I don't drink tapwater in the US, essentially ever.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you :)

8. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      I believe, in theory, a minimal amount of substance may come to your system if you swallow your partner's semen.

But via other delivery routes I don't think it can happen.

I would not worry.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Jptsr1

Jptsr1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1992
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, Guns, Q-Tips
      I would think if it were even possible the amounts would be so minute they wouldn't even approach the levels already in your system via other means.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I doubt pregnancy causes otoxicity, it probably causes muscular tinnitus through afferent nerves, like the pregnant women complaining of reflux.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know pregnancy doesn't cause ototoxicity but I was wondering if medication transfer through semen during sex could cause ototoxicity in the female.

And yes, they believe my tinnitus may be due to my pregnancy. I've never heard of a connection between that and reflux though. I do have severe reflux but I'm too afraid to take any medications to treat it..

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And TMI but I did do this during oral sex on one occasion prior to the T starting which is what got me thinking. My rational brain tells me the amount if any of medication that remained would be so minute it wouldn't cause a lasting (8 weeks plus) of tinnitus..

13. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      would you please explain to me what do you mean by that?

14. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      did the reflux come up with the pregnancy? I've read that pregnant women get it and it goes when le little mozart pops out

15. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Middle ear myoclonus can cause tinnitus sounds, both continuous and discontinous. Peripheral nerves from, say, the neck can cause the nerve to make the muscles spasm just like problems in the brain can.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I didn't have issues with reflux prior to becoming pregnant and it started a few weeks before my tinnitus I suppose. I'm very pregnant, 9 months and have severe reflux especially at night regardless of what I eat. Dr prescribed Zantac but I'm afraid to take anything, even tums so I just deal with it. My tinnitus and reflux remain.

17. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @japongus You mean that afferent nerves from, say, neck, can cause muscles spasms in (one of) the two tiny muscles within the middle ear, which can cause continuous/discontinous T? I just want to check if I understood correctly.

• Like Like x 1
    18. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes why are you repeating what I said? Do you disagree with it?

As far as I understand, ototoxicity happens when you affect the inner ear. Things like salt or things that screw potassium supplies, like taking omeprazol and so not absorbing enough minerals.

19. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dont worry, it most probably goes away when the belly goes back to normal.

20. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      And yeah it probably is a bad idea to take things when pregnant, but I don't know.

21. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I doubt Zantac would be too bad, but I have seen an association identified between PPIs (omeprazole, pantoprazole etc) and magnesium malabsorption.

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have 4 weeks to go to deliver this baby and am hoping I can do it without any medications. I really am afraid of anything I do or take making my tinnitus worse. I have that I hate to live my life like this. I even worry about foods and I know I'm just setting myself up to be miserable.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm afraid to take tums or Zantac for heartburn for fear of worsening my tinnitus. I'm afraid everything I eat will worsen my tinnitus. Im just afraid in general of my tinnitus..

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You really are aren't you. You won't have time for that soon fortunately.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    25. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I have never heard of this before. My first thought is that your T might have been caused by something related to pregnancy. Did you ever ask the doctor about this? I don't take Lipitor but do take some other medications at this time. I might be able to reduce it down to 1 main one with 1 every now and then.. I might get married one day though. Did you ever ask the doctor about this?

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I didn't ever ask the doctor. My partner isn't taking the medication anymore and I still have the T, so doubtful that was the cause. I was just so desperate looking for any possible cause of my t I was grasping at straws. My audiologist thinks it was brought on during pregnancy because of extra stress and hormonal changes and also mild hearing loss.