Emerging Treatments for Acoustic Trauma

Discussion in 'Support' started by TuneOut, May 15, 2017.

1. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      • Informative Informative x 2
    2. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      20 years man, you're a real champion. Has your T been stable during the years, or did you do anything to make it worse? How old were you when you got it?

Sorry for all the questions, I hope you don't mind. Me and many others on this forum got T from acoustic trauma and are still clinging on to the hope that the T will improve or fade away some day, so a little bit of background information would be much appriciated!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hi Flamingo. I was about 17 or 18 when I first got it. It was the result of a couple rock concerts. I basically became a total recluse for three years after getting it, attempting to protect my ears. Eventually I began exposing myself to more "normal" sound levels. Still no concerts or clubs or movies or loud music or things of that nature.

Although it did definately worsen over time, it was manageable. It seems like it was the big exposures that really ended up pushing the T to a higher level. I definitely believe that my ears are more susceptible to acoustic trauma after the initial damage. My life has never been the same since first getting tinnitus.

About 9 months ago it increased to a new level after driving a loud old truck around to do some work. Finally adapting to it... Then a few days ago it increased quite noticeably from going to a loud restaurant for over an hour. Really had to raise our voices to be heard. So I've not been doing too well this week. Hoping it will go back down. I've just been taking it easy as far as sound exposure and stress goes. I'll keep you updated.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I'm 40, so about 23 years.

5. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I'm 37 and almost 1 year in.

How is your hearing in general??

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      It's not too bad. I have some minor hearing loss. End up asking my girlfriend what someone said on tv. Or having someone repeat themselves in a conversation here and there.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      There have been many times in the past where I experienced a spike in the tinnitus that really, really upset me - and alot of those times it has ended up getting better. Sometimes it did not. Acceptance is important. We are stronger than we think. And our mind and brain can adapt.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Has this been the case since onset or something that has gotten worse over time??

I feel my hearing is still ok but I know I cannot hear past 13.5hz

My hearing was damaged by an external alarm.

Anyway, my input too your question would be unfortunately still no cure to help tinnitus or hearing loss.

9. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I hope so, some days I feel I am doing well, other days I'm back at square one, this past year has been a blur, the regret of what happened will haunt me until the day I die!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Jason,

No, I wouldn't say the hearing loss has gotten worse over time. I think it's related to the loudness of my tinnitus itself. So it's harder to hear those frequencies. But I'm no expert on the technicalities. I can pretty much trace the instances of any long term increase to additional excessive or prolonged sound exposure.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Yeah, those regrets can really weigh heavily upon us. Probably best to just learn from the experience and move forward from there.

12. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Easier said than done. Trying though, every day.

13. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      I could have written this myself, apart from the doing well bit. If I knew then what I know now...

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @Jason C did your t stay the same after that show you saw? Or get worse, remember you saying something about it.

15. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Worse for a few days then calmed down. No more shows for me. I have a flight coming up in July too.