Employer Wants Me to Go Back Full Time

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eric N, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      I have been asked to do full time again as the work load has increased. I told them I don't think I am well enough to do it yet, my tinnitus is the worst as it's ever been, I have already gone on a 3 month disability earlier this year and decided to go back because they offered me part time as an accommodation but now that is off the table.

I am a computer programmer / web developer.

Anyway, I just wanted get some opinions.

I have some options.

- I can just leave and seek new options when I feel better, this might also lead to the new job having an increase in salary but of course runs a risk if it will be hard to find a new job, but I can survive alright for a number of years on my savings if I have to and have no dependents.

- I can stick around and try it out for a month or two, then leave if I don't see this working out, the goal here would be not to burn bridges.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      This is what I would be inclined to do, @Eric N. Best not to burn the bridge until you have another option on the table.

3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      As someone who has worked in the I.T. field most of my life and have tinnitus, I completely understand how you must feel. When I first got T, I really was unproductive at work for 6 months. Luckily, I had a boss who understood and was willing to keep me on regardless. I didn't have the means or savings to not work for an extended period of time.

If I was in your position, I would try the 2nd option and if you still feel the same after another month or two put in notice as not to burn any bridges. Secondly, is it possible to work from home or at least part of time? Sometimes not being in a stressful or noisy environment can help.

Even though you cannot do anything about your tinnitus for now, perhaps you can look into CBT or some type of therapy to help you cope. I know there are some on this forum who discredit the benefits of CBT and maybe it does not work for everyone, but I firmly believe it was one of the things that saved my life. Even with a debilitating condition, it gives teaches a different way to not only look at things, but how to approach them and the address the negative way view them.

I was very skeptical at first and didn't think this sort of thing could make such a big difference in the way I felt, but I a was wrong and glad that I stuck with it anyway.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      same here. it's hard for sure. just try and mask with talk radio or rain sounds if you can.
      my boss was gracious enough to let me work from Korea.

5. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Yes, I couldn't agree more. CBT is something that doesn't have to cost you anything but your time and patience. I follow an online program, one suggested to me by my doctor. There are many such programs, it is a matter of researching and finding one that is adaptable to your individual needs.

6. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      Hey Eric, I spent 20 years in I.T. with the Province of Nova Scotia. Mostly net security and accounts management. Can they not set you up to work from home? Have you broached that with them? There may be recourse through your State's Human Rights agency. I was also a shop steward here, and had disabilities myself, long before this came along. It can be an uphill battle, and it does look like they did accommodate as well. Still, there might be recourse if they do not attempt to accommodate further.

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They let me work from home when I was part-time but now the manager has switched. I don't know if it's something they'll agree when it's full time. I asked them to offer me an on-site parking, if they refuse then the chances are I won't work for them for much longer.

8. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      Okay, just noticed you are from Canada. The key here is that they have accomodated. It doesn't really matter that the Manager has changed. They have recognized that you have a disability, and they very well can't unrecognize it. Most Provinces have a lawyer referall service. Here in Nova Scotia it costs $20 to talk to an attorney for 1/2 hour so maybe do a search for Quebec. I'd also check with the Quebec Human Rights Commission regarding the situation. No doubt in my mind that you fall under their disability clause. I have an excellent paper written about disability law in Canada including Cdn. case law. I'll see if I can find it and will send a link if I do.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Their reply is the following:

We’ve tried to accommodate you even though we were and are still under no obligation to do so. You have not provided us with any medical information that specifies the need for you to work part-time. At this point, as previously stated, the business needs require you to work full-time.

I can provide them with a medical note specifically for part-time if needed but I already gave them a medical note when I went on disability and they said they did not need one to give me part-time employment.

10. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      Big question is if they are under no obligation why did they do so? Secondly they didn't need it when you offered it, and all of a sudden they require it? You really need to talk to a disability attorney and/or the Quebec Human Rights Commission. Like I said it will be an uphill battle, and you will need to decide if it is worth it or not. Hate to say it, but I think they are going down the road to dismissal.