ENT Consultant in UK Who Uses Manual Tools for Wax Disimpaction

Discussion in 'Support' started by Agrajag364, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello all,

Does anyone know of an ENT consultant in the UK who removes wax using manual tools, rather than using microsuction?

I've had two weeks of incredibly loud tinnitus- I can hear it very loudly over any level of outside noise. I only ever had very brief 30 second occasional episodes of mild tinnitus before this. It is only in one ear and I've been deaf on and off in that ear for 2 months. I was told this ear had wax impaction and that was a likely cause of both the deafness and the tinnitus. I am desperately hoping the tinnitus will resolve if this impaction is resolved though I realise that may not be the case.

Having done some research on both the experience of other users and of the available published literature, I see that both the two most popular methods of wax removal, syringing and microsuctioning, are known to worsen tinnitus in some and cause tinnitus for the first time in others. There certainly seem to be lots of people online who've had that experience. I see that quite a number of experienced tinnitus sufferers are of the opinion that wax removal is best done by an ENT using manual tools rather than microsuctioning, to avoid the high noise exposure that can occur with the latter.

I have emailed a number of ENTs but they all say they use microsuction to remove wax.

Has anyone UK based member visited an ENT and had them remove wax using manual tools? Or is anyone aware of an ENT who might do this?

Thanks so much

2. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you very much! Did you get wax removed manually here? If so which consultant did you use? Was it something you had to request specially?

4. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hi,

I saw James someone...sorry I cant remember the surname. Had to request it specially, yeh. Explained my situation. He removed it manually using a silver instrument. Was not loud at all and was quick. Would recommend it!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello Elfin, thanks again. I looked at the list of the ear consultants at that hosptial - was this person, James Tysome, who you saw?

https://www.spirehealthcare.com/spire-cambridge-lea-hospital/consultants/mr-james-tysome-c4716723/

Do you recall if the wax was on your eardrum (i.e. tymphanic membrane)? A few consultants have said to me they would use manual tools but would use microsuction if the wax was on the drum. I think it's when it gets on the drum that it tends to cause hearing loss (and induced or worse tinnitus)

I see the only consultant listed there as doing ear wax removal is a Mr Furrat Amen, had actually emailed him already but he's not replied as yet. Whilst Mr James Tysome is not listed as doing ear wax removal he is definitely an ENT surgeon so it may well be he who did it for you.