ENT Says Meniere's, but I'm Not Sure

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mark P, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Mark P

Mark P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/01/2015
      Went to ENT today. He was in a complete rush. Gave me about 4 minutes, then had me take a hearing test (which was normal), and then he gave me another 4 minutes, and said, "well it sounds like Menieres Disease" and told me not to eat any salt, drink a lot of water, and come back to see him in 3-6 months. He also said, "we could run a bunch of tests, but they are annoying, and the treatment is the same." Thank you!! What a huge help. Jesus.

I'm 31 and have had episodes of dizziness for years, a few times a year. I've dealt with it, because it's never been that bad. I had a bad episode 2 years ago, which caused vomiting and a trip to the ER and about 2 months ago had some dizziness, and one morning I woke up with ringing in my left ear, and dizziness. The ringing has, unfortunately hung around, which is how I ended up on this website, trying to find answers on tinnitus. The ringing began a few days after seeing a concert that (possibly?) damaged my ears, and starting an anti-depressant, so I've chalked up the ringing to being connected to either the concert or medicine, and not necessarily the dizziness.

Mostly, I get these brief periods of disequilibrium that last 10-20 seconds, and then subside. This has been happening for 10-15 years. On occasion, they turn into vertigo. The ringing is two months old. I do have some ear fullness, as well, so from the doc's perspective, I have 3/4 Menieres symptoms, it makes sense.

From reading about Menieres though, and the type of "episodes" people have, it just doesn't seem to fit. I'm not a doctor, and he is, but he just seemed to rush to a conclusion.

Any thoughts or advice?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Mark P,
      I have had menieres for many years and we have a menieres thread and bumped it up for you.
      It was not right for your consultant to rush your diagnosis and not to offer any menieres medication should you need it.
      Your doctor could prescribe them for you....Betahistine or Ploclorperizine.
      Their are balance tests they could have given you and a routine MRI.
      Anything you would like to know just post here or send me a pm.....lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark P

Mark P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/01/2015
      Hi! Thanks so much for your response. I'm just kinda bummed out, I guess. This is not how I was hoping to kick off the new year! Where do I locate the Menieres thread?

4. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Why did you let him rush you??
      Fuck that you paid for the appointment if he is running late thats his problem

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

Hey Mark, what was the antidepressant you took?

6. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Ménière's disease usually has reverse ski slope hearing loss. With a normal hearing curve, it is probably better to start looking into other factors behind your dizziness.

Those are my thoughts & advice - as non-physician, that is.

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark P

Mark P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/01/2015
      From what I've read, this has been my exact thoughts. I have a riveting history of anxiety and I've had dizziness since high school, and I always assumed thehy were connected. And I have no hearing loss (except high frequency about 13500 khz). But I do have tinnitus and ear fullness, as well, so idk.