ETD (Eustachian Tube Dysfunction) and Working Out

Discussion in 'Support' started by BrownieBoy, Sep 25, 2018.

1. BrownieBoy
      Devilish

BrownieBoy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert followed by another loud concert, Dollywood D:
      I need help people. I quit working out about 3 months ago because pressure would build in my head when I'd lift weights. It would drive me crazy for hours afterwards until the inflammation died down. Then I was able to clear the pressure through yawning and (flexing?) my Eustachian tubes.

Well I just got done running for the first time since I took that break and the pressure built up again. What gives? It never used to happen during cardio and now it's even effecting that. I feel lost and hopeless.

My mental heath is deteriorating due to my tinnitus, ETD and lack of mental clarity. I need to work out to feel sane and working out makes me feel insane.

I don't know how much more I can take.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. PrincessZelda
      Anime

PrincessZelda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2 weeks on BuSpar
      Hello,
      I have the same problem. I had it a few years back when I'd exercise everyday but it wasn't as bad as it is now. Now a short bike ride makes my ears feel like they are on fire. I find that doing lighter workouts that don't have you huffing and puffing helps. Also to be in room temperature. When I'm out in the cold, it makes it 10x worse. I'd try going on long walks and carrying dumbells. Best of luck to you and take care.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. EarHair

EarHair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012 worsened Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and TMJ and genetics (Mom, Grandpa have it)
      What has the doctor recommended for treat ETD? I know sometimes if it's from allergies they give allergy meds, they can give steroidal nasal spray. Also I believe I have heard you breathe in steam, like boil a pot of water, take it off the element, wrap a towel around your head, and lean of the pot of hot water (just be sure the steam is not too hot to burn you). That loosens up mucus that can be in your eustacian tubes. Also you can do saline rinses to try and keep you sinuses clear of gunk. Quit smoking if you smoke.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @BrownieBoy ,
      It could well be due to blood pressure so worth getting a BP monitor and test your BP in the morning and evening and see how you get on .

love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BrownieBoy
      Devilish

BrownieBoy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's exactly what my ENT told me. Don't smoke.

6. MandyT

MandyT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I have this problem when working out and I don’t smoke. Anyone know of any ideas to alleviate the pressure while working out?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BrownieBoy
      Devilish

BrownieBoy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The only thing that works for me is steam and time

8. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      I have a mabis steamer inhaler and it works well. I also got a Eustachi yesterday. I sometimes have a problem clearing my eustachian tubes with the Valsalva. The Eustachi literally cleared them in seconds. I see you are in Canada, both are available on amazon.ca. I have had good success with both and recommend both.