ETD

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kara77, Jul 11, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Hi all,

I first noticed my tinnitus the end of May... my ears felt very full and and I had terrible pressure on my face. As the ear pressure got worse, so did the tinnitus. I immediately thought it was from a concert I attended a week before because it was LOUD... but I didn't develop ringing till a full week later. I immediately went to a walk-in clinic and the physician told me I had fluid behind my eardrums and I was diagnosed with Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. I was prescribed steroids, a nasal spray and antibiotics. My ringing was terribly loud that I felt bad to be around anyone because I was constantly complaining. I was at work and I couldn't understand anyone because all I heard was ringing and then I believe I experienced vertigo. I went to an ENT and they literally told me to ignore the ringing and that he saw no more fluid. I also took a hearing test, no hearing loss. 2 weeks later, the ringing gets worse. I went to a different ENT, there is in fact fluid and my ears are swollen. More antibiotics!

Fast forward a month and half... I'm happy to report that my ringing is about 90% gone... however my ears are still draining I believe. The ringing is almost completely gone in my left ear but my right ear is having a little trouble catching up. Anyone have any experience with fluid in their ears and tinnitus?

• Like Like x 1
    2. theekarwash
      Nerdy

theekarwash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise and/or Ear Infeciton
      How are you doing now? :)

3. Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      The ringing is more of a swooshing sound/crickets now and its in BOTH ears again! Arghhh... well I think it just takes time to heal! I have an appointment next week with the ENT and we'll see what happens! In the mean time, I try my best and ignore it. I was pretty depressed when it first happened but I'm slowly becoming myself again. :)

4. Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      I did take prednisone when I first was diagnosed but it didn't do anything. I did take a hearing test and they said I didn't have any hearing loss but maybe I need a different test for those with tinnitus. What's a tympanotomy?

5. Marie

Marie Guest

Hi Kara,
      I had fluid in my left ear last summer from a bad sinus and throat infection. It made me slightly dizzy also. I waited 10 weeks for my ear to drain until I couldn't stand it any longer and had a myringotomy in the ent's office. This is done by piercing the eardrum and the fluid sucked out of the ear. I had half an ear full of fluid when this was performed. I hadn't been hearing very well in the ear because of the fluid so it was a great relief when I had this done. It took about eight weeks for the small hole in my eardrum to completely heal and during this time I had to use an earplug in the shower to keep any water out of my ear. I didn't need a tube or grommet in the ear since I did not have glue ear. That is when the fluid is very thick. I too had antibiotics and steroids. One course of augmentin and then two courses of omnicef. The fluid that was removed from my ear was sterile water. The antibiotics kill the infection but they don't help with drainage. That is what the steroids are suppose to be for but they were of no help to me. My tinnitus went away right after my eardrum was fully healed and it is 100% gone now. If you get rid of the fluid, I'm sure you will be fine. Take care.
      Marie

6. Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Marie:
      Your post has made me feel so much better! I am going back to the doctors next week and I'll mention a myringtomy to see if it will speed up my healing process. How long did it take for the ringing and fluid to go away completely? My ears have been draining for about 3 weeks. Left ear healed... still waiting for the right! When I went to the doctor to get my diagnosis and she didn't seem too concerned... I hope this means its not permanent! Did any of the drainage go down your throat too? It's literally been 24/7 drainage... I hope it goes away soon! So you have no more ringing?? Thank you for your advice!