European Blueberries (Vaccinium myrtillus)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by tomytl, Oct 28, 2015.

1. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi,
      since I eat European Blueberries everyday, my chronic Tinnitus has lowered very much and I have
      like clearer hearing.
      It's highly speculative if it's really from eating this berries everyday, or it's just coincidence.
      But I have a much better situation now for 2 weeks and bevore I had years of constant Tinnitus.

Attention: This are European Blueberries, which are different to the American Version
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_myrtillus
      http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-bilberry.html

Just want to report that.

Greets Tom

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Davey
      Amazed

Davey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/01/2000
      I know those berries, never tried it for tinnitus, but for it's taste! They are very healthy yes, gonna eat those tomorrow then.

3. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      I'm not sure what (if anything) they do for my tinnitus,but are known to have lots of vitamin cC and anti-oxidants, and I love them. Over here (Wales...still part of Europe for now!), our wild blueberries are locally called 'bilberries' and are very small. They are a nightmare to pick, stain everything purple, grow best on windswept isolated moors....but are worth the effort as the flavour is INTENSE ! They are very rarely available commercially as picking them is not economically viable. The big blueberries are available here, too, largely as imports, and contain pretty much the same beneficial components , though not at quite such a high concentration.
      Now, I'm wondering about blackcurrants, too. Their colour/flavour is also very intense and they do grow very well in our climate (wet and windy) and gardens. Do they confer the same health benefits? I know they have lots of Vit C and anthocyanin, so maybe they do. And elderberries?
      Sorry to have wandered off topic....

Fungus

4. Beowulf Agat
      Creative

Beowulf Agat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      For how long have you been eating them? Are you buying them or do you pick them yourself?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi,
      started eating them eating everyday about one month ago. I didn't start eating them because of the tinnitus, just because I find them very delicious to mix them together with corn fleaks for breakfast. Now I sometimes eat them also pure during the day.
      So it's maybe just coincidence that my tinnitus lowered. It was just the only thing I changed in my daily life.
      I'm really not a promoter of any herbal or unproofed treatment, but I'm surprised about this change.

Yes I guess their name is Billberries and no, I don't pick them my myself, just bought them in a common food store.

Greets Tom

6. Beowulf Agat
      Creative

Beowulf Agat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cool, I know that bluberries are rich in antioxidants so it's not impossible that they affect some types of tinnitus.

7. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      all dark forest fruits have the same benefits. So you can go to the supermarket and buy a packet of frozen dark fruits and they will give the same benefits. Or pick them when they are wild and in season.

8. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Well I for one will start eating them again. I tend to eat a lot of red grapes and apples. But I'm happy to try them.

9. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      a really nice way to eat some thing sweet is to get the frozen dark berries and let them thaw a bit. Then mix with greek natural yoghurt. Lovely and sweet with natural fruit sugars

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes, it's like an addiction to eat them, hope it's really the reason behind my T.
      I mean, I had it much louder for years now... even I'm always sceptical...
      I will report any advance or fallback.

Greets Tom

11. Ricardo AM
      No Mood

Ricardo AM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 / Hyperacusis since 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acustic trauma
      Hello,

As i like this small fruits i will start tomorrow for a entire month (nothing to lose) / if i get results i will report here as well!
      How many berries we should eat per day? (any advise?)

It would be great if there is a kind of solution here - the nature of the food....

Cheers to all,
      Ricardo

12. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      The freeze dried and regular dried dark blue/purple fruits are available all year round and probably have less bit C than the fresh, but most other anti-oxidants will be there at higher levels as they will be concentrated. YUM.

13. Rocknrory
      Inspired

Rocknrory Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Exposure
      Yes, there is another thread on the forums talking about Bilberries in regards to helping reduce Tinnitus. As everyone is different, I'm sure it's effective with some people and ineffective with others. I've ordered Bilberry extract after reading a bit about it and did not notice much, however I wouldn't rule it out as ineffective for me as perhaps it was the source.

Here's a small study done in regards to this bilberry extract:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20090220592

Here's a link to the other thread discussing this:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/patent-preparation-for-the-treatment-of-tinnitus.1401/

14. Everyloop

Everyloop Member

SWH153_Xl.jpg

15. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I've ordered a pound of dried Bilberries since they are not in season and hard to find in the US. We'll see.

16. Ricardo AM
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acustic trauma
      Hello to everyone,

After read this thread and make some researches about antioxidants and their potential benefits for the nervous system and for brain health, in alternative to blueberries (because its very hard to find blueberries now in my country) i started about 10 days ago the diet i can manage from now:

- About 65 gr fresh blueberries (imported and expensive but....)
      - About 1 small bowl per day - freeze mix with wild fruits (including blueberries)
      - 2 spoons of dry goji berrys

Also im taken 2 capsules per day (natural produts): 1 ginko biloba (5000mg /powder equivalent) + 1 pycnogenol 30 mg.

It is soon to get results but after 1 or 2 months i am planning to report here if i had some relieve or not (T and H also).

It would be great if more people does similar experiences and share with us!

All the best!
      Ricardo

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=8

17. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      I hope you are not taking 5000 mg of ginkgo. The normal dosage is 120 - 240 mg. 5000 mg is dangerous.

30 mg of pycnogenol is not a lot. Many take 100 or 200 mg, even 400 mg. Can you try higher doses?

18. Ricardo AM
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acustic trauma
      Hi Atlantis,

No....i mean, each capsule contains: Ginkgo Biloba Extract (50:1)......(equivalent to 5000mg of Gingko powder), but yes it was told to me this is a high dosage /concentration.
      To a better ideia each capsule weigh 125 mg (8 capsules 1000gr = 8 days)
      I bought in a natural product store and i take only 1 per day.

Thank you for advise!
      (for all who read my post I apologize if I was not accurate in information about Gingko dosage)

About Pycnogenol as im taking also other sources of antioxidants i thought to be enough (only found this dosage as well)

Important is share experiences as i believe what we eat (or take) may have some influence on T and H.

Cheers,
      Ricardo