Ever Been Made Fun of Having Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dubbyaman, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Ugh some people have made fun of me for having this. They say stuff like, "Haha you hear noises." etc. Makes me wanna either A. Knock them a good one or B. Blare a loud mega phone in their ear and give it to them.

2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I wouldn't take it personally, they probably don't know how hard it is.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      That's truly horrible. Personally just ignore them; don't add fuel to the fire.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I was out with a few mates a couple of years ago, one happened to be a bouncer at a local club, we were at a take away bar and about half a dozen pretty intoxicated dudes came in and one of them come up to me and decided it would be a good idea to give it to me for wearing ear plugs.

I politely told him to drop it and "walk away bro", unfortunately for him, my bouncer mate came over and asked me what that was all about, I said "the c@#t was giving me shit about wearing ear plugs", and as all good mates do he didn't give me a chance to sort it myself and laid the dude out for it!

Turned out my mate has a real problem with people giving anyone with a disability any shit.
      This dude's mates were suddenly not his mates anymore!
      I just thought to myself that'll learn him!:)

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Sounds a bit playground.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Not many people in my social circle know that I have tinnitus. I haven't had anyone make fun of me for that, but I have had people make fun of me because of my extreme startle reflex to sudden loud noises like fireworks, motorcycle revving, and gunshots (this is a rural area). They also think I'm overreacting, but I've always been very sensitive to noise anyway.

7. Sadly, but true, I'm being made fun of all the time at home by my parents. They really don't think this is a "big deal" and that I should not protect my ears anywhere, because T can't get worse, they say. They are also taunt me because I don't play music as load as before (wonder why). But its nothing seriously, they just want to help, just don't know how.

But can't imagine it would be fun to be made fun of if it was meant to be harming. But personally I wouldn't care. Not the slightest bit. Why would I?