Exercise Has Reversed Positive Hyperacusis Progress

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zugzug, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      Hi all,

I have had hyperacusis for ~4.5 months. It progressed and by about month 2, it became very severe (unknown cause, probably autoimmune); by very severe, I mean every single noise bothers me and I am out of work - I will save the rest of the details. Anyways, using a combination of sound exposure and protection, I was making great progress for about a month or so.

In an effort to become active, I began running for the first time in months. I noticed that the hyperacusis got worse again. It's not as bad it was 2 months ago, but it's noticeably worse than it was 2-3 weeks ago. Does anyone know anything about this? I know that exercise tends to cause temporary tinnitus spikes (I also have tinnitus), but I didn't expect the hyperacuis to spike as well. Is this cause for alarm?

Thanks.

2. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi,

Do you use headphones while running? Or do you run in a noisy environment? Any loud noise while you are training?

I don't know if running causes louder hyperacusis. Other people may know more.

Good luck.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zugzug

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Actually, I bring my earmuffs. Typically, I put them on the side of my head, but not over my ears. I only use them if I need to. You do bring up an interesting point.

I recently switched from doing my sound therapy through speakers to headphones. At the beginning, I didn't notice this change spiking my hyperacusis. However, I wonder if this has changed things over the course of a week or so.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Could be the occlusion effect, try a cross trainer or bicycle where there is an impact and see if it gets better.

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I think it has to do with the blood flow and how it is altered when you exercise and in turn affects hyperacusis.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zugzug

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Honestly, I regret changing my routine from no exercise or headphones to a lot of both. Now I don't know which caused the setback the most. I think it's the headphones since I was running for a few days before the headphones without a setback :/

7. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I think it will be the headphones personally. I run every other day, I have no hyperacusis but I have not noticed any adverse effects on my tinnitus over the course of 2 years I've had tinnitus. I sometimes get the odd bit of pulsatile tinnitus when I stop for a breath in my left ear but this happens sometimes for a short time even if I stand up after having been sat down.

8. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Lose the phones, run early when nobody's out.

9. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Headphones should be ok at low volume. I could used them even with pretty bad hyperacusis. It is a matter of volume.

10. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      yes, but unless you try to measure the actual output of the phones, it would be hard to know if these were at 80 dB, 90 dB, etc. I'm guessing volume's a bit louder too while running.

I'd lose those and don't run with ear muffs on (doesn't sound like you do)--the occlusion effect could be pretty pronounced while running.

11. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      The occlusion effect for me is worse with earplugs than with earmuffs, but yes, having your hearing block and running will trigger the occlusion effect.

• Agree Agree x 1