Exercising With Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Geo, Jan 31, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I kinda stopped lifting these past 4 weeks since my T got worse it never really affected me the past 2 years meaning my t when training but it eould spike just a bit and goes back to normal but now that it has gotten worse due to noise exposure.. I am a little affraid since i did 250 pushups last night and my t was spiked it kinda scared me but went down and i am or was a gym rat but now my ear is worse and gyms r more noisier anybody here work out or run or anything or there gym is noisy but still go.. My ent said that exercising and weights wouldnt spike and it hasnt yet but i am a little worried since i live to lift and jog/hike and dont want to stop and get fat since i am getting out of shape not going lately

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Yea I had to cut back on P90x as well. My ENT and Neuropthomologist said you can work out all you want.
      But only you know your body and how it reacts to working out.

I used to do 200 push ups in one workout, now I split them out 100 on day 1 and 100 on day 3 even though my T does not spike after a workout I'm afraid of high intracranial pressure since getting a lumbar puncture.
      I'm sure working out pushes some nerves in our body, we are talking about ears, eyes, as well as the brain here. I would rather look a little fat than have damaged nerves in my body.

I don't push my workout to the limit any more like Tony Horton would like me to.
      While my T is 6 months old. I'm going to take it easy for the next 6 months and workout 2 days a week only and then go from there. If your T spikes then your body is trying to tell you something that something is odd. My 2 cents. Hope that helps.

I also stopped going to bars, clubs because there are too many losers who go to fight there, not to mention the loud noise. Make sure you have a noise meter app in your phone and check the noise level if you have to go to a loud place due to peer pressure or something.
      If I drink I might have one at home or at friends house.

3. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      i actually hurt my lower back from work also and i got a bulgy lumbar. i get these tingle that goes down my left foot but never got in the way of my workouts. ive been working out for 7 years and even since my T first started. i thinks its more scary since my T did get super loud and i just hear more when i workout that most scares me more than the actual workout.. so whn it does go up cause of my blood pressure it does feel a little worse but that is normal i actully feel more i run and my heart us pumping too hard than actual weights..

4. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      i actually feel it more when i run*

5. Vincent R
      Inspired

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Training causing further damage to the ear sounds very unlikely. But if the gym feels too noisy and your T acts all funny, I'd find a different way to train. I used to love going to the local gym, but those speakers were just too damn loud. Now I train at home with some weights. Boring as hell, but it's not like I'm getting out of shape.

You can always say: "Screw T, I'm doing this in any case." But then you end up worry and doesn't really enjoy yourself. Me, I just wuss out and instead do stuff I'm sure can't make it any worse.

6. Ricky81
      Worried

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea I got those tingles in my legs after lumbar puncture for a month. But not anymore. High icp is serious issue and not worth looking cut and ripped for some girl. My 2 cents.

7. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      its my hobby i enjoy working it. it was my stress reliever..when i dont exercise i dont feel good about my self..but yes i am careful when training i dont do lower back stuff or things that may harm i actually feel some pain when i run or hike than the training..

8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Try not doing push-ups. Leave it out. Try bench press instead.

9. Ricky81
      Worried

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What's wrong with push ups? Does it harm your ears?

10. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Holy cow, is this in one go or in 1 hr? Lol.

11. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      if i want to do it quick like 5-8 minutes r ..my best is 90 in a row that was a year ago when my T wasnt as harsh and i would workout frequently..

12. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I don't know if it harms them but it sends a ton of blood to the head and spikes mine instantly.

13. jonedwinmigel
      Not amused

jonedwinmigel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no clue.
      I still work out at the gym even with t, although no more heavy metal going in the ear buds. In fact, I stopped wearing them completely while I work out. I don't really even realize I have t while I work out and mine is pretty bad some days. If anything I think it helps for many reasons, the biggest one is exercise is one of the best cures for anxiety and let's face it, t causes anxiety. I think if you let it get the best of you and stop doing something healthy its only going to make your t worse because of the depression or anxiety it will cause.

14. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      True exercising was my get away but since my at has been spiking pretty bad my anxiety is kicking in more.. But mostly my T it has been out of control for everything and my H.. My brother accidently caughed next to my ear today and spike pretty bad and kinda killed my hopes of exercising today and probably in the next couple days

15. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      My T will get louder if I DON'T exercise.
      I don't jog anymore, though. I find different cardios. The thumping of jogging does increase my T.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. I work out every other day. My Tinnitus has no fluctuation.

The only thing that spikes my T for me, is a hangover.

It's more psychological if you ask me.

Hit the gym bro.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      @Whatsthatringing I havent hit it in 2 weeks i think about going everyday .. My T has been to jumpy latley and my H isnt any better either... I was going alot before when T wasnt that too loud but now my other ear is catching it too .. Im scared to tell u the truth... How loud is your T?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Jamclem

Jamclem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flying then Sport (Probs)
      @Geo It is mad how sport triggered a spike in your tinnitus as well. I have had tinnitus in one ear for a year but mine also changed sound and spiked after excessive pushups over 5 days. I sometimes as not sure if it is now spreading to my right ear. I do wonder if essentially this type of tinnitus is made worse by excessive necks movements. Anyways I hope your situation has improved since this message.