Experience with Eustachian Tube Dysfunction? + Severely Depressed

Discussion in 'Support' started by RonnieCarzatto, Feb 26, 2017.

1. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      Hi All. My T started on Jan 29 2017. Became unbearable on Feb 08. Full blown insomniac now. High pitched tone in my right ear (or is it head?). My right ear crackles when flex the ear muscle or swallow. During the day, the tone is "perceived" in my left ear...

Never had any depression or anxiety before, but here I am now. My life has turned into a mess, my relationship with my all-too-supportive fiancé is taking a turn for the worse because I know I'm driving her crazy. I'm at my wits end, and to be honest aside from spending time with my fiancé, I hate life with a fiery passion currently and have had many crazy thoughts I never thought in my life I would have (suicide, self harm, I want to do every illegal drug in the book...). I was always a healthy, fit individual, treated everyone with kindness. Low-key life style. No clubs or bars, odd concert here and there, no stress ('till now) at my office job (which I love). 31 years old.

Went to two doctors. First one was shockingly dismissive. Told me to take aspirin, wax/fluid build up in the ears due to previous sinus infection, will go away eventually, don't worry about it. Refused to refer me to an ENT as to not burden them with a "minor problem" (I live in Canada with an overburdened health care system). Offered antidepressants/sleeping pills which I refused. One week later (with zero sleep), I went to a second doctor, more empathy. Fluid behind the ear he tells me, same sinus issues. Told me I have Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, hence the cracking noise. Gave me antibiotics and a nasal spray, told me to take vitamin B12 and melatonin for sleep. Told me tubes takes time, sometimes a long time, to drain out. Told me if things don't improve in a month, he will refer to me to an ENT. A month of more hell.

Does anybody have experience with ENT? How did it go for you? I'm looking for some hope, but god damn, this is hard. And the anxiety side of things? I don't want to form a sleeping pill habit...

Trying to maintain a positive outlook, but feeling hopeless. My family is at a loss. They tell me I've turned into a completely different person...

• Like Like x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Ronnie,
      You need sleep to feel better to cope with your tinnitus sound.
      Melatonin can help but a low dose of Nortryptaline can help sleep,reduce tinnitus and anxiety.
      Its a low dose antidepresant and easily tollerated.

Try steam inhalation or hold your nose and blow out slowly to pop your ears 3-4 times a day will help clear your tubes and a nose spray will help too...lots of love glynis.

3. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      It's a brilliant idea to use non addictive AD's such as amitryptiline or it's relative nortryptaline, but some people should never ever take them. People with arrhythmia, heart issues etc. It can cause worsening heart problems. Just so you know...,

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      glynis, I'll do that valsalva maneuver and try the steam... thank you for the advice... I'll work on the sleep aspect.

Thank you for the head's up slipware.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Tinnercusis

Tinnercusis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNHL
      Hi Ronnie, any progress with this within the past two years? I've had the exact same issue for 5 years now on the left side!

6. Ollie1990

Ollie1990 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bite
      Hi, My T and ETD were caused by malocclusion. the ET is right next to the jaw so if the teeth mess with the jaw muscles that can also mess with the ET.

Unfortunately dentists and many orthodontists pretend this doesn't happen which makes diagnosis a nightmare

7. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      I have TMJ and also ETD on the same side, for years. Of course tinnitus is on that side too.

It could all be coincidence though...